Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Honda trx350 fourtrax
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are close to each other as you can see in 1 pic, lower 1 is labeled F and the top 1 is labeled T, can some clear up for me which is what and is it TDC on a line or in between them please. Model is 1987 trx350 fourtrax
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Water

Water Plumbing fixture Automotive tire Fluid Liquid

Water Automotive tire Plumbing fixture Grey Sink

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
I see what you mean—there’s a stamped line under the T and i see you’re referring to another index mark on the flywheel—somewhat in alignment with the T.

I think you’ll be OK using either mark. I personally would use the T index mark. Don’t use the F. After you set valves you could see if there’s a difference in valve settings.

note: the manual sez rotate clockwise but this is a misprint. Rotate counterclockwise!! Watch you valves open snd close. TDC on the compression stroke will be just as the intake valves close.
Font Newspaper News Publication Parallel

Font Circle Pattern Paper Paper product

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is exactly what I needed to hear goober, not surprised you are the one that gave it lol, thank you. Solid info, doing timing chain tomarrow and I just finished the valves so thank you for 5he speedy response.

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Good deal. Don’t overtighten those valve cover bolts they strip easy.

when you mentioned cam chain, what is it you’re doing? Checking cam chain tension?

yesyou’ll probably have to move the fuel pump out of your way. Here’s how I check cam chain tension. Pull the tensioner out—if OEM tensioner it will fully extend. Reinsert extended tensioner to see how far it goes in. I believe you should have no less than 1/4” gap between the tensioner body and the mount base. I can’t remember exactly but in the following pix, you’ll see how I determined this chain to be worn. This engine runs like it’s jumped time.

main thing—if the gap is very small the chain is worn and will cause tooth wear

When done, completely depress the tensioner Using a thin screwdriver to lock it in retracted position. Reinsert and bolt in. Try retracting and resetting as a final installation step just in case it extended a bit during the reinstall
Rectangle Font Packaging and labeling Carton Box

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle

Ruler Automotive tire Tire Office ruler Material property

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your awesomely helpful. This is my second time dealing with a honda and timing, first is my 01 cbr 600 when I broke 7 outta 8 exhaust manifold bolts (I'm a dummy and didn't torch em first, just kept snapping em, anyways I went thru hell getting the timming right with the dual cams after replacing the top end this things should be cake lol. So I got this thing, didn't run, wouldn't roll, and after some love I fired her up but she smoked, prior owner mention the smoke and said rings,, so I assumed rings, rode for 2 weeks and went to start, soft coughed and lost all compression. Tor it all apart, cylinder looks good and rings look fine (I measured nuthing, damn batteries were dead in the micrometer ) but looking at the valves were torched and way bent, replaced and it ran for a minute, then sputtered out, I should note it was making an odd grinding noise since it lost compression, so I posted on a mechanice advice subreddiy which was almost no help except one guy insisted I check my timing and then suggested I check my tensioner for failure, well I know if you just back out the mount bolts it should spring out, so I backed em out and it just sat there flush lol, and your right, putting the lid back on I could tell that metal was soft when retightening the bolts, I got a digital torque converter yesterday, but ill be ginger about those bolts regardless. I put here through the ringer pretty bad and am seriously amazed by this bike so I thought I'd really show her some love, new, plug and filters, new diff oil front and back plus new oil, new brakes all around(discovered 00-03 rancher brakes fit with almost no modification) and I guess new valves and timing chain at this point

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Best method I found for removing those bolts.
Spray a few times over several days with penetrating oil like Deep Creep.
Use new or nearly new 6 point sockets.
Use a 3/8 and 1/4 breaker handle—not ratcheting handle-because you can get closer to the bolt head.
o so gradually apply torque to remove.
Best when engine and weather are cold

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How effed am I with this little brace busted off, does look to detrimental, then I noticed some cracks, are these normal stress cracks? Feel I got lucky with how that piece landed right?
Automotive tire Gear Motor vehicle Rim Bicycle part

Gear Crankset Metalworking Bicycle part Automotive tire

Hand Automotive tire Bicycle part Vehicle brake Gear

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
So lucky brother!

that looks like it got knocked off by a loose cam chain. Great catch!

those little cracks shouldn’t cause any problems; mine has them too.

Share a post of that with the members of atvhonda.com; lotsa early Foreman experts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts