Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i dont know if this would be a tool, or just and interesting use of something it may not have been designed for. now just a short story.
the wooden desk i use in the basement over to me mom's, while i am using the internet, pause,
i inherited it when my dad crossed over. it's wood, heavy, and he put shelves on it in the back.. . an dont know what he did with the other half.. the part i got is 31" from front to back. Anyway,,.
the drawers make noise when ya pull them out. they are just a bit heavy, an like to make noise, plus ya got to tug on them,, out, and push on them in...
it dawned on me tonight i got a can of, "Zeplon, dry spray lubricant, made with teflon",,.. i had this for about 20 years or so. so i got the can and shook it some, got a ball bearing inside, an sprayed it in side the desk, where the drawers make contact. this stuff spray's wet, but it drys a white film when it drys. drying time aint long. with wood it takes a minute, with metal, 5 sec ..
the big drawer is 1'x1', and goes back 23.5 ". instead of a tug, i almost pulled the whole thing out.
i'm going to spray the sides, an any other spots i missed, including the bottom of the drawer. :smile

·
Super Moderator
36,801 Posts
I just reach for my trusty wd-40 :).

·
Premium Member
12,392 Posts
I have a couple of different sprays that spray liquid and turn to grease , one is a white lithium it is some old school stuff I have had for 40 years and still sprays ----Garage Door spray works well , it comes out liquid and turns to a very light grease , found it also works very well as a cleaner on plastic parts that are flat / satin finish like the head light assembly

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this stuff work's on wood. if ya put oil on some wood that move's, it swell's up, and is harder to move.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
there are several types od dry teflon spray, been about a LONG time
its great to use on things that can see dust as they dry lube dust doesn't stick to it and collect and make a mess, and it also doesn't get thicker when temps drop!
nor make a mess when you handle it afterwards
been using it on guns for yrs as well as many other things!
also, for anyone that doesn;t know, there are many easy ways to get NEW/MORE air into a spray can
do a quick search on youtube, tons of easy to follow videos showing you how, you can add more air and or even LIQUIDS back onto a rattle can spray can!
if one wanted, or has any older cans that lost there air and wanted to save/use them up!

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that is most interesting.. its on the scale of; refilling those little green propane can's, from a grill tank, instead of paying way too much money, for a new green can. hope i didn't throw away the can of WD-40. it was near full, before it quit. now i have to go check.
it's time to throw this can away.i warmed it up with my hand's, as to feel the temp., drop, when it got to the liquid. only about 2", in a 13 oz can. i'm almost sure it was half full 5 year's ago, or so. :smile

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Gunk, liquid wrench, can just quit working; over 3/4 full. guess i'll be on line, so i can add back the pressure. :grin
plus the newer GE, stove the bottom drawer doesn't have a handle. it's hard to get out.
[like the GE washer, it dont work right nohow. made in china?]

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Gunk, liquid wrench, can just quit working; over 3/4 full. guess i'll be on line, so i can add back the pressure. :grin
plus the newer GE, stove the bottom drawer doesn't have a handle. it's hard to get out.
I hate that. I have a can of Remoil that is 99% full and won't spray. I normally punch a hole in the side and just pour out a little at a time.

As for the stove, I have a nice gas Kenmore that is about 7-8 years old. Of course, like everything else now, has a digital control pad on the top that controls the oven etc. It died last week. Stove burners still worked, but nothing else did. $100+ for a new control board, works again. I swear they make this stuff to NOT last these days. Who puts a circuit board with soldered connections right above stove burners?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I started using this stuff for all sorts of applications recently: https://clenzoil.com/collections/field-range
It cleans things extremely well, and leaves a nice corrosion resistant coating that doesn't get sticky or gummy or evaporate away either. And it treats and conditions leather and wood quite well too. I haven't tested it to see how well it removes copper fouling, but they claim it does. For general gun cleaning and protection I love it though. Makes it so fast to be able to do in one step, especially if you saturate a bore snake with it. I haven't been a big fan of bore snakes in the past, but with clenzoil I find myself using them more now.

It has quite the history behind it, been around since the 1940's. The company was bought in the mid-2000's and was pretty much impossible to find for a while, until it was sold again this time to a more business savvy vet, and is finally easy to purchase and getting easier by the day.

I was first introduced to it when a muzzleloader I bought around 2001 came with some pre-saturated patches. Never bothered to use them much until a few years ago, and found myself really liking the stuff. Then was disappointed to find out I couldn't find it anywhere. That is until recently. With the new owners and now easily available, I bought a couple bottles in liquid form. They'll even send you free samples to try. Just in the last couple weeks I've cleaned and oiled guns, cleaned and treated a pair of shoes, and cleaned up a couple trailer hitch ball mounts with it.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
What specifically did you get? The spray bottle? (I'm guessing it's all the same stuff in different applicators, right?)

https://clenzoil.com/collections/field-range/products/field-range-solution

Might have to try some.
I bought just the regular 8 oz bottle. Also more pre-saturated patches. But yeah all the Field & Range is the same stuff, just different form factor. I'm thinking my next purchase might be the Marine & Tackle 16 oz spray bottle cause I like the qty and the trigger on that spray bottle, would work better for my limited dexterity. I sent a message to the company wondering if that's also the same formulation as the Field & Range and am waiting for a reply. The samples I got of the Marine & Tackle looked and smelled the same though. It has kind of a minty smell to it....

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hate that. I have a can of Remoil that is 99% full and won't spray. I normally punch a hole in the side and just pour out a little at a time.

As for the stove, I have a nice gas Kenmore that is about 7-8 years old. Of course, like everything else now, has a digital control pad on the top that controls the oven etc. It died last week. Stove burners still worked, but nothing else did. $100+ for a new control board, works again. I swear they make this stuff to NOT last these days. Who puts a circuit board with soldered connections right above stove burners?
me mom, when she replaced, the old GE washer, perhaps, and i could fix it. the new washer, made in china.. nothing works the same.. it is, as its, is politically correct. hot is luke warm, warm is as cold, an cold is as the ground temperature in winter.
the water levels are not the same neither. if ya got to do a medium load, you got to set it on full, or the clothes are sticking out of the water. THEN on the side, it shreds clothes while washing. it likes best, sleeveless t-shirts, anything with a string or a strap, [ladies], then it will go after bigger things.
as far as the electric stove. me mom got one, a flat-top,[dont know what it is called], between the burner's that dont work correct, and the heat timers[electronic], you can barely cook on it. when the burner gets hot, it over compensates, then it shuts down, till the temp sensor kicks in, then it overheats again. that only happen's on a burner that works.. A REDUNDANT,CYCLE..
fix the old stuff that works. new is, politically correct=dont work.....

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
i dont know if this would be a tool, or just and interesting use of something it may not have been designed for. now just a short story.
the wooden desk i use in the basement over to me mom's, while i am using the internet, pause,
i inherited it when my dad crossed over. it's wood, heavy, and he put shelves on it in the back.. . an dont know what he did with the other half.. the part i got is 31" from front to back. Anyway,,.
the drawers make noise when ya pull them out. they are just a bit heavy, an like to make noise, plus ya got to tug on them,, out, and push on them in...
it dawned on me tonight i got a can of, "Zeplon, dry spray lubricant, made with teflon",,.. i had this for about 20 years or so. so i got the can and shook it some, got a ball bearing inside, an sprayed it in side the desk, where the drawers make contact. this stuff spray's wet, but it drys a white film when it drys. drying time aint long. with wood it takes a minute, with metal, 5 sec ..
the big drawer is 1'x1', and goes back 23.5 ". instead of a tug, i almost pulled the whole thing out.
i'm going to spray the sides, an any other spots i missed, including the bottom of the drawer. :smile
We really sidetracked ya..... This one?
https://www.grainger.com/product/ZEP-Lubricant-to-450-F-456L20

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
i wernt side tracked to much, thats the way i run.. the can, near the same in the link, just mine is 2 or so decades later. i gotta find it, the one i got. i cant remember where i set it. so it goes :grin
good stuff
side tracked= wheels quad, or wheel squad. squad = group, quad = 4 wheeler. there ya go, i run in circles...

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
What specifically did you get? The spray bottle? (I'm guessing it's all the same stuff in different applicators, right?)

https://clenzoil.com/collections/field-range/products/field-range-solution

Might have to try some.
I bought just the regular 8 oz bottle. Also more pre-saturated patches. But yeah all the Field & Range is the same stuff, just different form factor. I'm thinking my next purchase might be the Marine & Tackle 16 oz spray bottle cause I like the qty and the trigger on that spray bottle, would work better for my limited dexterity. I sent a message to the company wondering if that's also the same formulation as the Field & Range and am waiting for a reply. The samples I got of the Marine & Tackle looked and smelled the same though. It has kind of a minty smell to it....
Marine & Tackle ratio is just slightly different, same dilution but has slightly more corrosion inhibitors in the ratio. I'm still finding more uses for the stuff every day. Gonna try cleaning and lubing my garage door mechanisms and chains with it next. Seems to be diverse like WD40 (which actually cleans pretty well), but stays around and protects and lubes way better than WD40 does long term.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I use beeswax on the wood and dry film on the bearings.
Sooo is it beeswax or bee’s wax? lol

·
Registered
613 Posts
Bee's Wax. It's the greatest product ever! A million uses. I was thinking about it when I read Ted's post about his sticking desk drawers. It's what I use.
@wheelsquad I had a old old bottle of Clenzoil that belonged to my father and was sad when I used the last drop. However, I hated the smell. I thought it was due to the age of the product but have read that the odor is specific to it. I've used Balistol the past 10 years with no problems experienced by a few people. The smell is bad, but not nearly as bad, to me, as Clenzoil. Also, I use Hoppe's 9 when needed especially on my AK. I admit I shoot slightly dirty ammo in it because it doesn't care what you throw at it. No dirty ammo in any of my other guns. :)

I have used Bee's Wax on the stocks of some shotguns prior to storage.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Bee's Wax. It's the greatest product ever! A million uses. I was thinking about it when I read Ted's post about his sticking desk drawers. It's what I use.

@wheelsquad I had a old old bottle of Clenzoil that belonged to my father and was sad when I used the last drop. However, I hated the smell. I thought it was due to the age of the product but have read that the odor is specific to it. I've used Balistol the past 10 years with no problems experienced by a few people. The smell is bad, but not nearly as bad, to me, as Clenzoil. Also, I use Hoppe's 9 when needed especially on my AK. I admit I shoot slightly dirty ammo in it because it doesn't care what you throw at it. No dirty ammo in any of my other guns. :)

I have used Bee's Wax on the stocks of some shotguns prior to storage.
I agree on the clenzoil having a strong odor. Has a kinda minty smell to me though and I happen to like it. I've never tried Ballistol before though I have heard of it, but reading up on it, looks to be a great multi-purpose product also that I may have to try.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i like the small of leather varnish, from years ago. some paints or oils, after a bit, they give me the munchies. ah aint high, just starving. craving. course i lose track of time, often, when i am busy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts