Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got fed up with both nuts turning when tightening axle lock nuts and couldn't find a 40mm spanner thin enough to fit on the inner flange nut, so I made one.

Yes, it was a 5 minute job and the finish shows it, but it works a treat :wink

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Simple yet affective, always the best way :)

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
my bud made one out of a pipe, large nut welded on one end to fit the axle nuts, then on the other end, welded a 1/2 socket to the pipe, we use it with an air impact, zips them off no problem. long enough to reach the nuts, slips over the axle, works great.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I'll have to find a picture of the "super socket" we call it that grandpa made for us a while back. I need to get one made that fits those lock nuts haha. Good idea though I like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my bud made one out of a pipe, large nut welded on one end to fit the axle nuts, then on the other end, welded a 1/2 socket to the pipe, we use it with an air impact, zips them off no problem. long enough to reach the nuts, slips over the axle, works great.
That'll be next, just don't want to cut a good impact socket up lol. I'll keep my eye open at a car boot sale for a good used socket, cut the back with the square drive off and weld the two halves to a length of thick wall tube., hexagon one end and square drive the other.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
That'll be next, just don't want to cut a good impact socket up lol. I'll keep my eye open at a car boot sale for a good used socket, cut the back with the square drive off and weld the two halves to a length of thick wall tube., hexagon one end and square drive the other.
good deal. so much easier to use an air impact removing those big axle nuts. was doing it the old way many moons ago, then my bud showed me his home made axle nut remover tool. thought it was a super great idea..lol.

Reactions: rodp

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Got a selection of old 1/2" sockets here, have a look when you come down ;-)

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a selection of old 1/2" sockets here, have a look when you come down ;-)
Needs to be 40mm single hex, we'll have a mooch through. Muddy bottom will stop a car boot or I'd search those. Weather's not forecast good though.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Forecast down here to be nice, 15C apparently on Sunday. I may have one, I'll have a look shortly, I'm foaling until 10pm so I'm out and about around the yard.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok. No mad rush though.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Can only find a 38mm unfortunately, I've got more somewhere in a box from a car boot I think. Have a look when your down here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts