Honda ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
West nile virus case's in KY., this year. could use some snow and ice to help slow biting insects down a bit. 2 weeks of colder weather have set in. actually not so much frost, just 60s-70s, during the day, 42-55 at night.
prediction based on japanese maple;;
the annual Frymire weather prediction is calling for more than 50 inches of snow and a cold to January, central ky.. 9' of snow on christmas eve..
just read the pioneer news, newspaper, from bullet co. 4'' march 15th.
sleet nov 19th... thats just part of the prediction.. oct.23 edition 2019 edition..
guess i better reorder some of the winter boots. i had to send some back.. defective, made over seas..
i still got my ice shoes.. remember when they had tennashoes with skate wheels in the center. i snagged a pair from my nephew, when he out grew them..
when ice is on the ground, those tiny wheels are so small, they polk holes in the ice.. that was how i got around, the ice storm, that knocked out the electric here for 9 days.. i might have to cut the wheels off, an just leave spikes. ah aint as nimble as i once was, an those white flashes, when i land head first, seem to get brighter.. {when i was riding the ponies, i mostly landed on my back, an it was very seldom, when i was on the ground, i asked,, ''how did i get here''?}..
both my chainsaws conked at the same time. not enough oil to the bar.. glad i just caught it. apparently not cleaning the bars, wood dust clogged the ports up, and i wasnt getting enough oil to the bar on either. one is ready to go, the other, i got to resharpen the chain.. check for burrs on the bar.
amazing how that happens, when you are stuck as a couch tator..
should be something to watch, on the boob tube, as,, how to maintenance your chainsaw, an not get your arse flat..
;~}

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Supposed to really cool down this week, -5 by Tuesday:rolleyes:(n). Hate the ice and snow and we have only just begun. Have a feeling it is going to be a longer winter than last year. Cotton picking global warming!!!!!o_O:LOL::devilish:. Only positive to that is that it drives the Elk down. Was very Blessed today. Working on a remodel of a 111 year old farm house that sits on a very large family ranch. The homeowner called me this morning right before we were going to walk out the door to church and asked me if I would be interested in coming out to try to get an elk out of the group that was on his property. Hunting season opened yesterday and I didn't even have a tag yet, scrambled around and got my hunting gear together, then ran to the hardware store and picked up a license ($38), filled the truck with fuel and in less than 6 hours was back home with a 5 point bull, pretty awesome. Too bad it doesn't always go that easy. got skunked last year and the year before that, will be nice to get some meat in the freezer.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
was almost 75 here today, and a few days back was 33
still going up and down like a YO YO on temps here
on bright side, tree's have a lot of real nice colors this yr, but even that is off, as many tree's shed there ;eaves a month ago some are in full color and some are still very green
seems even the tree's are messed up and NOT on the same page as they used to be

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
High of 20 today, 11 degrees right now, low of 5 tonight, high of 15 tomorrow, -7 tomorrow night. Some of our trees still have leaves. Just weird, this "Global Warming" is terrible!

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Halloween - left my office at 5pm...83 degrees....front rolled through last night..woke up to 39 degrees..welcome to the Carolinas

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Halloween - left my office at 5pm...83 degrees....front rolled through last night..woke up to 39 degrees..welcome to the Carolinas
well here in PA no better, was 77 yesterday , tornado warnings , super high winds and about 2-1/2 inches of rain in a few hours,
and now 38 and dropping!
lots of folks here with NO power this morning, and tree's down blocking roadways!

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
i aint seen the leaves turn colour, much since 2002, if then +/- 2 yrs.
calafornia, put a lot of money into green power.. now some of the state is on fire, because they didnt invest into infrastructure, as making sure the electric lines were kept up to date.
i think it was 2 billion, on green power, none on infrastructure. now the green is burning, [trees].

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I have a number of late season projects in flight...stain on the back deck, new pool fence going in/landscape area, and all the wood trim/windows etc on the house are being redone..so it's been a real treat to have 60-70 degree days this week...colder air is coming this weekend..but we'll be done by then...made a run up to our Blue Ridge this weekend with some friends...knew that we were a bit late for leaves, but between the extended heat and the drought, we weren't expecting amazing color anyway...still, it was pretty..lots of leaves still on the trees and in color.....in fact the rain we got last week and the warm has my grass greeing back up and growing a bit..will do a final cut and blow leaves sometime next week..but right now, still staining wood and then putting down rubber mulch around the new pool fence area...my old blue honda 300 currently has a landscape trailer hanging off the back ...but I plan to unhitch at some point this weekend and actually hit the trails for a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,540 Posts
Yeah i got so much done this summer— building the missus a sewing room, hosting family and i did ride my motorcycle some. I got my project 86 running well But never took the quads out. Currently 11F; maybe get some bird hunting in this weekend
98B9C814-3233-4305-84AA-5AA47725EDAC.jpeg
last weekend made two batches of beer—lagering now in my “brewhaus” cooler

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
ooooo BEEER !!! nice... pool fence was up and looking good about an hour before sunset!!! yippeee. back porch out of laundry room torn down..old wood tossed on landscape trailer then pulled around with the Fourtrax to the front drive where a pickup truck will haul it to the dump...so once I unhitched and it was still about 62 beautiful degrees with the sun falling behind the tree tops... I just hit the throttle, spun the rear around and headed out back...took some laps around the trails through my woods, along the creek and WOT down the easement...man it always feels to good...tucked ol Blue back in the garage and called it a good day.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Crappy day today, No riding for us, There are huge temperature swings Happening we are back down in 2 teens at night and right now temperature is Only 27. My poor 4 Wheeler has been sitting out on the Patio I need to finish processing my elk So I can get back into the garage . So I will pull the battery out of 14 Wheeler you get that shed locked up, Get that battery on the tender and Get the other one in the garage in the tender on yet this well After I mount my plow. Envious of you guys who can just ride out your back door into the trails. Not to mention them being open all year . We have to have different machines be able to utilize our area in the Winter time man or spend the money on tracks which I'm not going do.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I am spoiled...my immediate piece of land is only 13 acres...about 5 of those are woods with a good size creek running along the back and then a sharp turn makes the property line down one side... I have trails cut along the creek..makes for pretty walking, running, cycling, and ATV riding...then I've got a couple trails cut into the trees to make it interesting, and a large gas line easement that serves duty for fun on the accelerator, as well as tree stand view, and there's a solid 150yards rifle range before a steep hill rise to keep things safe. (yes I know exactly where the gas lines are(grin) and we shoot well to the side of them on the 40ft wide easement.
I have about a 2 acrew pond ( if you were up in the sky looking down, it is shaped in the outline of a side view of a rubber duck)...so interesting ride around it, pretty views, etc as well...again...I can do a couple laps around, reverse, etc the trails in just afew minutes..it's not a lot of property, but 3 or 4 of those double back laps and I feel refreshed, keeps the bikes running too, etc...all day trail riding is a 45 min drive to the 180acres I share and an hour puts me at the gate of a large privately owned ATV park (Adventure World - Winnsboro SC) but I have to be in the mood to take the day, put up with some of the traffic on the trails, and try to find a time when things are too mudded up..so yeah, I'm lazy.. I enjoy just running out in my "backyard"

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
this morning, i seen frozen dew flowers. this happens when the dew hits the ground, and the wind is blowing, and some freezing is involved.. unless you have seen this, then, ya dont know what i am talking about. winter dew flowers, are like snow flakes in a way, aint no 2 alike.. only/if i could remember where i have a picture..

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Would be awesome to see. Don't believe I've ever even heard of therm. Supposed to Turn crappy again starting tonight, ease on the high 50's yesterday and today, cold front moving down from Canada.
Finally got my elk cut up looks like we ended up with about a little over 200 lbs of very lean clean meat. Always hate the process of cutting it up as I never get any help, but sure enjoy the eating part. Steaks. Stew meat, burger. Plus no steroids or chemicals. Plus grass fed, was only about 2 1/2 years old and tastes great for a bull. Colder weather should really start pushing them around. Glad I got mine early in the season .

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
Would be awesome to see. Don't believe I've ever even heard of therm. Supposed to Turn crappy again starting tonight, ease on the high 50's yesterday and today, cold front moving down from Canada.
Finally got my elk cut up looks like we ended up with about a little over 200 lbs of very lean clean meat. Always hate the process of cutting it up as I never get any help, but sure enjoy the eating part. Steaks. Stew meat, burger. Plus no steroids or chemicals. Plus grass fed, was only about 2 1/2 years old and tastes great for a bull. Colder weather should really start pushing them around. Glad I got mine early in the season .
my mom moved out here in 2000. it was a few years before i ever seen one. it happens all the time here. it happens to be the way the land is layed out, and her lot was kinda on a corner.. on one side of had property, you can get a steady north wind, maybe NNW. then on a different corner, so to speak, SSW. and other combinations thereof.. just walking down the driveway can result in a 20 degree drop in temp. on occasion.
i will see if i cant find a picture. it was cold outside, and i didnt feel like getting dressed to go take pictures, that morning.. :coffee:

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
we're at that point i season...never know whether to grab a jacket or not...low 60s today.. I've got contractors still doing outdoor work on the house etc as the temps are perfect...but we've had 2 frosts now last week and some more chill coming in midweek...I'll have to pull out a heavier coat and I'll enjoy the warmth coming from my old fourtrax 300 aircooled engine as I tool around the property in the evenings this week..(grin)

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
13 degree';s here Saturday Morning,55 yesterday, and 68 today, and calling for 10 tomorrow and snow??
these extreme temps swings SUCK
and just screwing up wildlife and things growing here

its so hard to know what to expect anymore, as the seasons and dates go

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
today 60f tonight 20f. the rain already has a slight bit of snow. very small. less than an inch is expected, according to the weather service..
that means zero" to 6"... i wasnt expecting winter this year, as the years before.
Al Gore must be at it again. he invented the internet, dont ya know

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
LOL! 8 degrees right now, 1 1/2 inches of Ice on the road will probably dip below zero tonight. This global warming is amazing!!!!! We have set a dozen new records, winter doesn't start for another 41 days.
mrbb, we're supposed to have mid 50's by weeks end, pretty strange indeed.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts