Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

Premium Member
the wife has friends (from college days - 40 yrs back)..that have been seasoning in Alaska for years..they finally have made the move this year for state residency..which if I understand correctly means they have to actually stay put up there for like a year? anyway...we still get face book posts, etc of bears..they are huge fans of fishing for the big monsters up that way..kings, etc..too dang cold for my liking, but they love it up there..bears n all.

it's now the last week of September and our forecast here in the carolinas is for low 90 degree temps all the way through next week!
it cools down fast at sunset, so we're able to enjoy dinner and rocking chair time on the back deck..and it's just dark enough at 8pm to watch the Space Station fly over...cranked up the gas firepit last night about 10pm.more for ambiance..cause it was a pleasant 71 degrees..shorts n a t-shirt...watched the deer eating my molasses corn treat for them in the side yard, big gray heron perches in a pine tree just 50ft to our right, he was fussing at an owl that paused in his tree long enough to get it's bearing on a bunny...judging by the scream, I'd say he got it when I saw him swoop down and disapear behind some trees...

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Well, I think the riding season is officially over, we have had snow in the mountains and temps already down to 25. Can see the snow down to the 6000 ft level which is only 1500 ft above our valley floor.
On a different note, a week ago I came across another Can Am 570 Outlander 2-up 80 miles away. Same year as mine, power steering, heated grips and thumb warmer, winch, brand new Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 radial tires, and a mid-tube plow mount. Only 397 miles. Only thing is it is yellow, not my favorite color. I went ahead and bought it, afterI got out home decided to switch out the plastics. Changed my red plastics out for the yellow and put put them on my stock machine. I listed it on Craigslist and sold it for $250 more than I paid for it a year ago. Bought the new to me machine with all the upgrades for $100 more than I sold mine for. Quite a deal, I've been pretty fortunate in all of my machine deals, have made $$$ on all 5 that I've bought and sold.馃榿. All cleaned up and ready for sale.

Attachments

Registered
well sounds like you making deals and coming out o top, cannot beat that!

as for summer being over, well Thursday it was mid 80's super hot and humid, by friday morning it was 32 degree, so went from having AC on, to Heat on in about 2 hours!
now its back to darn rain and still cold, mid 30's right now and raining, and calling for 2 inches of rain tomorrow with a high in about the mid 50's
and lucky me, my water system here decided to die, so I get to now try and figure out what died in the chilly heavy rains tomorrow??
replaced well pump, and pressure tank, and still dead with no water??
Not wishing for summers heat, but 60's and dry weather like we NORMALLY have this time of yr would be nice!
I am so sick of all the extreme temp swings and weather from NO rain to non stop for days or weeks or months of it
I went from like March to Late Aug with rain here every 40 hours or less!
that's just insane with rain every other day and many days 4-5 NON stop of it
March to Late Aug, only had 3 days in a row with NO rain twice!
and had temps in both July and Aug, in the 40's

weather sure ain't normal anymore!

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
Boy that's for sure, been a weird summer. We're supposed to have low teens by mid week. Going directly from summer to winter.
Hope you get your water issue fixed:cautious:馃槥

Premium Member
we finally broke the heat wave this past weekend. (Oct 5th) it dropped down in the 70s...back in the 80s yesterday for the balance of this week...but just last week we were still breaking records with high 90s. Saturday i enjoyed the cooler temps to get out on my trails and work the chain saw a bit..had some large trees that had fallen across some trail sections,..it's great to have those open again for riding. There might be a couple days throughout winter here in the Carolinas when we see some of what we'd consider bitter cold..ie down in the teens..but 99% of the season I'll still have my honda out and working or playing..as an old Ohio boy, I miss having some good snows, but I do like the warmer weather and year round ATV play time. The particular Fourtrax I'm using right now, spent most of it's life as a deer machine..so it sat most of the year, got fresh battery, etc for hunting season and then was back to forgotten the balance of the year...and that's why it was as good a mechanical as it was when I found it...no muddin etc..just into the plot, haul one out, etc...with me as the owner now, it works and plays probably 4 days a week....ready for FAll..leaves, chill in the air, firepit on the back deck, etc..but this evening I'll be jumping in my pool for an evening swim..(grin)

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Rub it in why don't ya! We went out to dinner with some friends tonight for my wife's birthday, when we went into the restaurant at 6pm it was 63 degrees, when we came out at 8:30, out was 36 degrees suing dropping supposed to be low single digits by tomorrow night:oops:(n)馃槥馃槶馃槰馃槯!!!!! Yuck! Not ready for this this early in the year.

Registered
North of Fairbanks tonight, winter storm warning! We already had 4鈥 of snow today, supposed to get 4 - 7鈥 tonight, and appears to be happening. Putting a new Warn plow on the Foreman (when all the parts show up)...

Premium Member
LOL...sorry kids..but yeah...this weekend's forecast..mid 80s and even though it's down in the low 60s at night, my pool heater is keeping the water a lovely 88 degrees..so a pleasant saturday will include me floating in my backyard pool to cool off from having been out riding on my old Fourtrax which generates plenty of un-fanned heat of it's own. Actually hoping for at least our one snow event this year...which might be all of 4 inches if we are lucky..and we'll all be grabbing our "all terain vehicals" so we can somehow manage to get out of our driveway and go visit the neighbors for a snow ball fight...trust, me, as an old Ohio boy.. I just grin and bear it when these carolinians freak out over 3 snowflakes...but seeing my big old Honda tracks in even that little bit of snow is an enjoyable sight.

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
Not a pleasant day here today, temperature is about 24 degrees, wind is blowing directly out of the North at about 20 miles per hour, as an old Ohio boy you know what that computes into, wind chill not a pleasant work day especially when working outside.

Attachments

Premium Member
still not so cold in ky. came close to a frost the other day, but it was the wind that done it.. my sister.5 came up from Sth. Carolina. her windshield, and rear window had ice on them, including the roof..
bring a car up here, to the top off the south.
she was from here anyway.. 35F at night, but the wind does come into play.. i checked the ground temp. 41,4F. i did get out and dig some of the summer plants out of the ground today. banana trees, though i missed the elephant ear plant. was more of the elephant ear plants, till my, bro. in law, took over for a year or so. E probably tossed some of the bulbs. less digging for him.. no one asked him to help in the first place.. opp's,, i got caught venting again..
damn shame though, them bulbs lasted for 17 yr.s here, and 20 years at the other place, and 18 years at the place before that, then at my grandma's house..
ya got to love your in-law's{BS},, no where does it say, you have to like them..
what were we talking about again..
cold weather.. a chill
that describes my in-laws :D lols

Premium Member
ok...Oct 18..Fall is finally starting arrive..got down in the 40s last night..only made it up to about 70 yesterday...I checked the house security cams late yesterday afternoon to see my wife and our 10yr old grandaughter out back enjoying the heated swimming pool...will be able to do that for the balance of the month, then I'll need to shut that puppy down cause the gas bill will start to get ugly. anyway the leaves will start to color now in our nearby mountains (Blue Ridge) and we have some lifelong friends coming up to do a couple days cruising the hills...then it's time to hunker down and get ready for holidays which includes several birthdays...the family enjoys Fall events..festivals, theres a huge rennaisance deal in the area...my son and I get to strap on some of his custom made sword work and go be nerds for a day..always fun to see folks dress up..the grandkids love it.
I've got an unused day ticket to an area ATV park that's almost a year old..just been so dang hot that I didn't feel like going down there...but 60s during that day...yeah..that's a nice ride..and come colder winter days around my property..well I've got my Fourtrax aircooled engine to keep me warm (Grin)

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
I think we had a major hiccup in our fall season. We went from summer directly to winter, temps into single digits with 6-8 in of snow. Warmed up enough to melt the snow then cooled down again. We are having more fall like weather now but cold snap killed all the leaves right away so no beautiful fall colors. Green to ugly dead brown. Just waiting for my neighbors tree to dump all of it's leaves on my shed and the back corner out my yard. Hope I get a chance to rake them up before we get dumped on again. Most of our trails are now officially closed for the winter. Was a bit of a disappointing summer for riding, very wet spring and summer. Trails opened late the combination of rainy weekends and busy life took a toll on our outings. Picked up a different machine a month or so ago and didn't get a chance to get out with it馃槙, will probably winterize it and put it in storage and get the plow on the other machine and brace for what's coming. Will travel the 500 miles to Rapid City for the Thanksgiving holiday and stay home for Christmas. Will get the sled ready for winter hopefully get out a few times on that, not the same as trail riding in the cool mountains.

Registered
all seasons anymore seem to almost skip the one in between
or sure do in burst
we went from 90's to 30's in a 24 hour period here

then, back to warm mid 80's
then lows again in low 30's

some how we too are missing slower transitions like we had yrs ago, from one season to another, now its all extremes, as far as from one day to the next

global warming,m climate change, or??
not calling it any, but I do know, weather is NOT the same as it was even 20 yrs ago, heck past 6 yrs have been just super odd and getting worse!
40's in July, and 70's in dec?
its just wrong??

Premium Member
the earth does this all the time, not as we measure time. the magnet fields change polarity, the earth wobbles a bit more at the axis. but most of the hot air, comes from congress.. here in the states, and political abroad.. ;~}
ever wonder why the people in china were masks, while outside?? [only those that can afford this]..
i havent seen the fall leave change near 2 decades.. the reason being, the fall frost, just dont happen. it used to be in september, later followed by indian summer in october..
wow, was that a long time ago.. i quit looking for persimmons, because they need the frost in september, for good fruit..
my sister next door has 3 trees, an there are a few on this property.
shame, aint it..

Registered
I sure believe there are no shortage of possible causes and most are ALL guessing
ain;t no one been alive all them yrs back, that so many claim, these shifts, changes happened
its all hypothetical idea's someone has

if history has taught me anything about what MOST scientist predictions as a reason for something, is, that MOST all have been wrong!
for yrs many thought the world is flat(some still do)
how many different theories have there been on why dinosaurs have gone extinct,
or what has caused so many things over time, its all guessing, and well, might be educated guesses, there still guesses and , again MANY are wrong all the time

HECK< just look at how many times so called experts, have said, Bacon is good to eat, then flip flop and says its bad for you, then not so long down the road its OK again
same with countless other things, in MODERN times where we are about and NOT just taking wild guessed as to what MIGHT have been there

ALL I know is weather is NOT the same as it used to be in MODERN REAL record keeping times
YES there have always been some swings in temps and such
BUT not on this regular basis we are having
this is new and different!, and seems to be getting worse!

comparing the past to the present also is NOT the same, there is NO way having so many humans and things we do , to NOT have some impact on things, period, or to compare things now, to when there were NO humans/critters!

its just not a fair comparison IMO

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
IMO:
How long have there been records kept on weather? Lets say for argument sake 500 years. How old is the earth? Some say millions and millions me personally? I believe in a young earth 10-15,000 years. Before I get blasted, it's not that important the age. What's to say the earth has not gone through this cycle of weather with the warming Before? IF....we had 500 years of records, which I dont think we do, how much has it changed in the laat 250 years? Is it not possible that this is a repeat cycle that has happened before? We have had an ice age, who can say whether or not that won't happen again? If it does start to cool down again and the ice pack build back up again, what will the theory be then? My opinion? ~~~~~ We're on a warming trend that will eventually cool down then warm up again long after I'm dust.

Premium Member
not gonna blast you on the young earth thing Freedomflyer...I tend to struggle between what the school books have told me and what I've seen and touched with my own hands...example.. my wife is a bit rock hound so we take a lot of trips to various parts of the country to mine for different gems and also for fossils...for me to be in the middle of Tenn and be finding sharks teeth and fossilized crabs of a species that we think no longer exists...yeah..there was a lot more ocean than there is now...but many of these fossils are so fragile that the idea that they have survived in tact for millions, tens of millions of years..naw.. hard to resolve the science with my limited understanding based on what I'm holding in my own hand...if we can take the evolution religion out of the equation..so that they don't have to have 65 million years in order to explain how I came from an single cell to a monkey to..well..a bit dumb ape that I currently am...then I think with that issue put aside, and just looking at the dirt and what's in it...I'm not so sure that it all hasn't happened in a slightly smaller window of time. But since I'll never know...it doesn't keep me awake at night. speaking of dirt..man it felt good Sunday evening to hop on the old blue wonder and go spinning some tires...the greenery is finally dying back so I took the oppty to cut down some branches and sapplings that had been mucking up some of my trail cut-throughs...giving me more options to enjoy "doing laps" out on the immediate property which is only about a dozen acres...and that seems to be where my spontaneous ride time happens these days....finally got some rain so the ground isn't dry dirt n dust, but before that came in..yeah...come into a corner, lean forward a bit, power up and feel that back end slide around and point you in the turn direction...love my old smaller 300 machine...just feels more like riding than that big beasts.

Premium Member
all seasons anymore seem to almost skip the one in between
or sure do in burst
we went from 90's to 30's in a 24 hour period here

then, back to warm mid 80's
then lows again in low 30's

some how we too are missing slower transitions like we had yrs ago, from one season to another, now its all extremes, as far as from one day to the next

global warming,m climate change, or??
not calling it any, but I do know, weather is NOT the same as it was even 20 yrs ago, heck past 6 yrs have been just super odd and getting worse!
40's in July, and 70's in dec?
its just wrong??
last few years our area has gone between dramatic drought and serious flooding...my neighbors have lived here their entire life. I've only been here for 16 years...so when he tells me that he, in his 60 years had never seen the creek go completely dry...and yet, we now seem to do that almost every year...and then come the rains and my 20 foot wide creek bed rises the 6 foot up and into my woods (1000 year flood plain) and I've had that water rise still up to where it was 4 feet deep in the woods..flooding some of my trail cams even...so yeah, maybe you're on to something

Registered
last few years our area has gone between dramatic drought and serious flooding...my neighbors have lived here their entire life. I've only been here for 16 years...so when he tells me that he, in his 60 years had never seen the creek go completely dry...and yet, we now seem to do that almost every year...and then come the rains and my 20 foot wide creek bed rises the 6 foot up and into my woods (1000 year flood plain) and I've had that water rise still up to where it was 4 feet deep in the woods..flooding some of my trail cams even...so yeah, maybe you're on to something
I'm in same boat LOL
things here have been flooding a few times a yr over the rare now and then decade or so, then droughts, its all extremes, , went like 5+ months here this yr with rain every 40 hours and many of them rainfalls were 2-3+ inches of rain, and like a switch,m it stopped and no rain for weeks and things got super dry?
now where back to rain every other day it seems ??
countless yrs back, we would have snow falls this time of yr, but now, we have temps in the 80's
a HUGE difference from 30's and 40's we should have now
all the critters seem all messed up, as if they don't know winter is coming, geese stay later, , not to mention how many just DON"T migrate anymore, same with many other species,
animals that hibernate, are all confused, thinking they have lots more time to get ready, spending time in places they shouldn't be, due to most reply on crops to get fat before winter here, and many are still in summer places, and crops are being harvested, which will make it real hard on many to FIND food to get fat for winter
all these huge warm ups in mid winter, screw up a lot of tree's that have fruits and nuts, ruining there mast crops in the fall then, also causing animals to have to eat different foods, due to there normal foods ain't there
Most folks don';t seem to care or notice these things. all so many want is nice weather to do things they enjoy, and not the side effects of what this changing weather is actually doing.

just look at how many places are over run with ticks and mosquito's and such, due to so many mild winters anymore in so many places
and remember folks, Mosquito's have killed more humans than another animal/insect out there, so this should worry more than it seems to!
longer winters and colder weather, keeps many of them things at bay for fewer months out of the yr and in lower numbers,
these days? there spreading to more and more places!

21 - 40 of 62 Posts