Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on vacationing this summer in upstate NY also stopping in PA. Is there any sticker requirements or visitor required to ride off road in the two states. Thanks

· Registered
8,309 Posts
OK< yes and yes
to legally ride in PA, the atv must be insured and registered
some state parks will also have to pay for a trail permit to ride on them
there is NO open private like land in PA to ride, PA is rather strict on things on atv's
MY suggestion is contact the state DCNR dept to get up to the date info for in PA

not positive, but even PAY to ride private lands in PA< you still HAVE to have proof of insurance and registration and then pay to access there lands!

NY as far as I know is the same as PA
in regards to you have to have atv registered and insured in NY, NOT just your home state(same as in PA< you need a PA registration to ride in PA and ONLY on approved area's)
NY is way more ATV friendly once you registered, they have way more trails and area's you can ride

NY has a few options on permits(or do so on snowmobile's)
Joining an ATV club or snowmobile clubs for snowmobiler's
you can get a discount off things MIGHT have a 7 day permit too, to help save on costs
NOT sure what PA does
I am a resident of PA< and have to pay for a registration every two yrs and have to have a lic plate on atv and insurance, and legally I can NOT, ride it about about any where legally
it SUCKS here for atv use

Both NY and PA< will require you to wear a helmet and MAYBE safety goggles or eye wear! have to double check rules and rules can be different pending where you ride
state/federal lands and even certain towns have there own rules in NY

again, best bet is to contact the state's DCNR depts and get 100% accurate and up to date info

My sleds are registered in PA and NY
to ride state trails, NO charge for me on PA sleds, BUT to ride many local trails, I have to pay for a seasonal permit(100 bucks a yr)
in NY
have to register same sleds in NY, JOIN a snowmobile club(40 bucks) and get a 20 dollar discount or the likes on NY registration
joining clubs keeps trails open
so goo cause to support
BUT IF I want to ride in the Old Forge NY area' I have to also buy a Inlet permit, $80.00 more, for yr, or 45.00 for 7 days) as they have PAY to use trails still NY, but different rules for that area
MOST of all the same snowmobile trails are used in ATV season, but due to some being farm lands, some trails get closed,(or like reasons) and being caught on a CLOSED Trail can get expensive!

NY has a great FREE trail app you can download to your things and can ride and see where your at and where food fuel, and the likes are
and its FREE

lots of rules to learn before you go

· Registered
757 Posts
You need registration and license plate for pa.. which your home state will work. You will need proof of insurance and finally you will need to buy the pass to ride at the park. Their isn't too many places to ride and most are far distances apart

· Registered
8,309 Posts
here is a few links to look at
if your registered in your home state, you will STILL need to register in BOTh PA and NY

and also, pending the AGE of the rider, they MAY or may not need to have passed a ATV safety training course approved by the state in order for them to legally operate them in each state!

PA*DCNR*-*ATV

http://www.nysorva.info/

https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/atvs-information-owners-and-operators

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/register-atv

http://www.adirondackstughill.com/index.php/site/recreation/atv

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info and links. Here in NC there are no registration/insurance requirements that I know of, so if this looks to be a big PITA I might re think taking the quads on this trip. Thanks Again

· Registered
8,309 Posts
its NOT that bad really, just going to cost a few bucks to do, as if you DON"T have insurance, you will HAVE to have that, to register the sled in Ny./PA, it can be done on line, and again, just costs money mostly?
the bigger issue, that is not terrible, but can be tricky, is finding a place to actually ride
if you gave a idea on where your looking to go in NY/PA
I might be able to point you in the right direction?
western PA is WAY more atv friendly, but its mostly all on state federal lands, so NOT as many places for pit stops

the Tug hill, Polaski area of NY is more atv friendly,LOTS of trails and places you can ride to(bar's food fuel)

ALSO< ALL places in PA and NY, public like, will require a spark arrestor on your exhaust/atv, so if you have sport atv's and don't, that's more added costs to you, and you cannot exceed a certain amount of sound , and they do check if on the trail and it seems LOUD!
aftermarket pipes on sleds are illegal more or less due to exceeding sound levels!

all things in life take a little extra work to be done, or done right, but it ain;'t that bad
just seems like more work than it is!!

everything just costs money today it seems LOL

· Registered
366 Posts
Our club (Tri-County ATV Recreation and Rescue) has the new schedule posted for the year. None members are invited in for the "open house weekend", camping included, for $20 a head and sign an liability waver.
I have friends from Maryland that ride every event through out the year and they don't have registration or insurance.

As far as insurance for your ATV, it is fairly cheap compared to the financial burden you could get into, mine is $50 for a year of liability coverage.
Even if it's not required it is a good idea, especially when you travel to other states to ride! You could save yourself a lot of grief no matter were you ride!

· Registered
8,309 Posts
Our club (Tri-County ATV Recreation and Rescue) has the new schedule posted for the year. None members are invited in for the "open house weekend", camping included, for $20 a head and sign an liability waver.
I have friends from Maryland that ride every event through out the year and they don't have registration or insurance.

As far as insurance for your ATV, it is fairly cheap compared to the financial burden you could get into, mine is $50 for a year of liability coverage.
Even if it's not required it is a good idea, especially when you travel to other states to ride! You could save yourself a lot of grief no matter were you ride!
what lands in PA do you ride that insurance is NOT required, as its a LAW in PA
unless your on 100% private lands, it IS required to be legal
NOT saying folks don;t ride without it, but it IS a law in PA
as is registration!
don't want to see anyone get in trouble, thats all, NOT a know it all here!

· Registered
8,309 Posts
OFF the PA< page of ATV rules

Liability Insurance
If you are using your ATV solely on land owned or leased by you, you are not required to get liability insurance. All other riders must carry liability insurance. Proof of that insurance must be carried with you when you ride. There are no minimum requirements or coverage standards established by DCNR or the Snowmobile/ATV Law for the liability insurance

Pennsylvania registration is NOT required for:
ATVs used exclusively as utility vehicles for agricultural or business operations;
ATVs owned by nonresidents covered by a valid registration in their state, province or country that honors Pennsylvania registration;
ATVs owned and used by a federal, state or local government body;
ATVs owned by a dealer who has been issued a dealer registration certificate and used only in connection with the dealer's business.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help, we were looking at Bear Run in Franklinville NY, then on our way back ride Mines and Meadows looked real fun. It’s still on the table to ride however could just turn into a Busco Beach NC ride after vacation.

· Registered
366 Posts

what lands in PA do you ride that insurance is NOT required, as its a LAW in PA
unless your on 100% private lands, it IS required to be legal
NOT saying folks don;t ride without it, but it IS a law in PA
as is registration!
don't want to see anyone get in trouble, thats all, NOT a know it all here!
It is a private club that owns it's own land!

· Registered
8,309 Posts
[/QUOTE]

It is a private club that owns it's own land![/QUOTE]

OK then LOL
Like I said, I knew it wasn't legal to ride other than 100% private lands then
and thats a BIG risk on that land owner
I am sure he has a wavier or something riders sigh , or hope so!

crazy world we live in, that folks crash and will blame the land owner??
as if its there fault they crashes??
folks lack responsibility in so many ways today, its sad

But thanks for clearing that up then!

· Registered
555 Posts
We are truly blessed out here in the Big Sky Country, I don't know that I would deem it worth having a machine if I "Had" to go through the hassles that you folks deal with. Sorry that you all have to deal with that. I guess there comes a price with population & people mistreating the public lands. What a bummer. The insurance thing I can kind of see but having to belong to a club and ride in an appointed area, I just don't think I could do it. God Bless you guys for your tenacity to stick with it.:frown:

· Registered
8,309 Posts
We are truly blessed out here in the Big Sky Country, I don't know that I would deem it worth having a machine if I "Had" to go through the hassles that you folks deal with. Sorry that you all have to deal with that. I guess there comes a price with population people mistreating the public lands. What a bummer. The insurance thing I can kind of see but having to belong to a club and ride in an appointed area, I just don't think I could do it. God Bless you guys for your tenacity to stick with it.:frown:
I think maybe your missing the Club value's
they maintain trails(as the state here doesn't really)
they work with the private land owners to MAKE Trails possible for folks, ( as what good is a several thousand dollar toy with no where to use it legally)
the clubs MAKE you a place to use it!

they spend a lot of time and money to KEEP Trails open

without these clubs , there wouldn;t be any trails to ride in many area's
SO paying to use there trails, is the honest right thing to do
they also, save land owners from being sued here, being a member of a club, as they carry insurance then too, which again costs $$

as PA again has little to NO open land for riding atv;'s

ALL the public lands here were kinda of set yup before off road vehicles were invented or popular
and as such, all rules were made to NOT allow them

when at same time ALL private land in PA was mostly OPEN for folks to use for free
saving the public lands to be m,ore natural settings

then crazy law suits and folks dumping trash every where closed off MOST all private lands to be used for riding
and we ended up with a millions of acres and thousands of miles of dirt roads, where NO one can ride

as they say a few bad apples ruined it on the many, never truer words to describe what happened here in PA

on the off road side of things!

I wish we had more freedom
but history has proved, people here don;'t have good self control to NOT destroy the lands they use!

they don't appreciate things like many folks out west do
totally different mind sets between the two locations!

sad but true!

· Registered
8,309 Posts
you should try being a snowmobiler here we have twice as many places LEGALLY to ride them here in PA, almost NO fee's to ride , minus the reg and ins!

but we never get snow anymore to ride them , LOL

all that land and trails and all we can do is look at dirt on them
and atv's sit ion sheds and garages, NOT legally able to ride them same trails LOL

FUN living in PA?

· Registered
366 Posts
you should try being a snowmobiler here we have twice as many places LEGALLY to ride them here in PA, almost NO fee's to ride , minus the reg and ins!

but we never get snow anymore to ride them , LOL

all that land and trails and all we can do is look at dirt on them
and atv's sit ion sheds and garages, NOT legally able to ride them same trails LOL

FUN living in PA?
Mrbb as another opportunity to ride, check out the fire hall rides (poker runs) that are popular now.
Poker Runs -  
*ATV Run*

I do both of these runs 30 to 40 mile loops very well organized with stops that have food, refreshments, gas, pressure washers for the radiator and help if you need it. A great way to spend a day and help a fire department. If anyone knows of other I like to hear of it!

· Registered
555 Posts
mrbb,
I think I do understand the value of the club, and really admire those that work so hard to give individuals the opportunity to be able to get out, it's just hard for me to relate when I so undeservedly have had the freedom I've had my entire life living where I live. Even though we might be a bit in the boonies and not have a lot to offer culturally here, hence the lack of population, that's what keeps the population down and public access to the trails and areas we have available to us open. When your state is 147,042 square miles, 4th largest in the United States, and there is just barely 1,000,000 people here, it makes it very pleasant for those of us who have been able to carve out a way to make a living and stay here. But over the last 10-15 years a lot of change has happened and I don't foresee the future being the same for my kids and grand kids when out of staters move in and get involved in the local and state governments thinking they need to "better" the area and make "improvements." As a life long Resident of the state, it's a pretty big pill to swallow. I have already seen a lot of different areas shut down to people do to some idiot that can't control their urge to tear something up, leave a gate open, or a bunch of trash behind. Pure selfishness. People that I've known for my entire life are closing their property down to hunting, fishing, and access to get to public lands. Just saying it is really hard for me to relate and I feel for those in the future. So really my point was, Bless you guys and those that strive to make a place for those that are interested to ride.

· Registered
8,309 Posts
Freedom
when you have NO other choice, its doesn't feel like as much of a burden, more its a MUST do, to be able to enjoy things LOL

I agree with you, times are changing
I always said some day I would move to WY, the least populated state in the lower 48, and thats was the main reason I wanted to move there

room to do as you please is a dying luxury to far too many anymore
MY place now, 15 yrs back had NO zoning rule's
could do almost anything, from play with explosives to raise live stock
NOT any more, now they have rules about what you can or cannot do on your own land here, every thing requires a permit to do, even simple things
and far too many things we did all our lives here are NO banned!
forced to recycle, as in you can be fined if you save your aluminum for yourself, they require you to GIVE it to them

its a scary world we live in
they talk about its to better things, but I question that

its all about them(gov) getting paid or a slice of your pay, when you want to do, build or?? something

owning land here, doesn';t mean its your's anymore
your renting it and rent keeps going up!
A shame
I think once the american dream was to own your own land and do as you please

NOT that;s impossible in most places!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.