Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received a letter from the States department of taxation. Claiming that they figure I owe an additional $468.16 of sales tax on the last quad I purchased. The title transfer shows $250.00 and they state that average selling price of my quad is $6397.27!!! Hell that's more than I paid for my original 700 off the show room floor, after including all tax title & 3 yrs financing at 2.9% NADA shows current retail on a 2008 Honda Trx700xx between $2500 and $3290 which is right inline with what I see them going for.

Has anyone else been flagged? A friend told me to toss letter in the trash, if it was serious it would of been sent certified mail. Also I contacted seller and he said, he has not herd anything about it or been contacted. At the bottom of letter it says punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 or six (6) months imprisonment, or both!

BTW tile was marked $2500 and clerk at title place said $250.00 I laughed to myself and said yeah $250. On all atv's I purchased and transfer'd titles they never ask condition of quads, like they always do on auto's. No when I purchased the state plate, they ask, about lights, exhaust, ect but nothing at ttile place.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I haven't ever had an ATV that I transferred the title on but it sounds like there trying to rip u off in some way because they only tax you on what you paid for a vehicle not what they say you should have paid for it.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a scam... give the state a call....
Letter head is from the state and they have seller's name on it, along with title & vin #. Plus the payment if made would be written to the state.

But as I'm posting this. I read on letter"per ohio revised code 2921.13" and that code refers to falsification - in theft offense - to purchase a fire arm? I'm scanning the fine print now.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
if the title place sent in paperwrk with a price of say 2500, and then said by accident to you 250 and ONBLY took taxes on the 250 price
you could OWE the state the rest due on the 2500 minus the 250 they took taxes from at title place
IF you follow

here in PA they base HOW Much tax on what the sale price was TOLD to the title shop
IF it fall WAY under the BOOK value on the vehicle, the STATE can start an investigation into the matter
Loop hole in things MY side, is IF you can tell title shop you did a partial trade/cash for an item LOL
the trade value isn't taxable
so, say your buddy wants to sell you 15 k vehicle, and well, you;'s ONLY want to say you paid 5 k for it
the STATE needs to know where the 10 K went or how it was paid
if you trade a material item, you HAD or likes
you can many times NOT have to PROVE what IT was
BUT if you say , like you traded in work or?? that can open another can of worms

lots of loop holes in things if you look for them

BUT the STATE always wants it slice of the pie
and they can get aggressive to get it
If I was you,
I would figure out what the SALES tax SHOULD have been on what ever price you paid and told title shop you paid
if its LESS Than what you PAID at time of transfer
get ready to pay the remainder, and any possible interest as well!

NOW if the title shop reported that you ONLY paid 250
and you can contact the old owner and get them to say you ONLY paid 250
and atv was in PARTS

that can help get the value down to 250, reported price maybe??
and end things???
but your getting into the gray area when white lie's come out LOL

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
Had this same thing happen to me on my latest title transfer. It was just for the frame that is on my quad now since the last one got mangled. If you look on the back it will have a thing kinda like you fill out for income tax. It asks about any other services performed and trys to trick you into admitting your amount you put down on the title was a lie. At the end it has you add all the fields and it will come to zero. You then write a small explaination of why it was so cheap and send it back. In my case i said this was for a frame of a fourwheeler and not a whole atv. And i also said if they request i can send them the original bill of sale from the company i purchased it from. They never did of course but they really are just looking for story to be the same between seller and buyer. If all is kosher your fine.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Form does have back side asking about downpayment, trade ins, or other services. But nowhere for explanations or condition of quad. I don't know what to do. I feel if I admit the price was 2500 not 250, they may try and pin me for lying during the title transfer. I guess I should of corrected the clerk, but even then they may have flagged it. Since they have avg value way over the nada price.

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
Yikes.. yeah they will. At this point you better commit to the lie. And make sure the guy you got it off's story is straight with yours. Or bend over and take it up the tail pipe and call it a hard lesson learned. Sounds like the form i got was different. Leave it to ohio to try to screw you out of your money. My form gave me the chance to admit i lied and pay the nada taxes or fill out the fields and explain myself. I did the second option because i did actually only pay the amount i said.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
I would play dumb here
and say price WAS what you want it to be 2500, or that you paid
and just play it off that you didn;t notice what the title place said to you or did
they want there fair share of the $$$

if they already contacted the old buyer, you can get into bigger trouble IF the stories don;'t match up
and who know's WHO side he will take or already has

if I recall you got a hell of a deal on it
SO worse case here you have to pay the???
and be done
I think you might still have got a deal
But
paperwork to the DOT and such is never a place to try to get a head LOL
there already a royal pain to deal with at time when you NEED something
so, I wouldn't want to start a back and forth deal with them, , can see it taking yrs and them adding interest to it ??
the aggravation might not be worth the trouble to just Suck it up and move on!

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree about filling out the form and submitting the additional tax for the $2250.00 And it was just a simple over looked mistake/typo? ($250-$2500) I just hope the State don't play hard ball and try and pin me for the tax on there over inflated value @ $6397.27! That i will fight, and will ask for the original title copy, and show them mine from 2010, both which nether are that much money when sold new in 2010.

The revised code they quoted involves falsification to a notary, in the fine print line item 6. Which I fine with, cause if they still have a copy of original title it is marked 2500.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
If the clerk TRULY made a mistake, thats not your fault, simply tell them that, if they have the original bill of sale that shows the selling price was $2500 and she typed in $250 then its not a big deal, simply pay the remaining tax you owe on the $2250 and be done with it.

If the selling price of $2500 was not written anywhere, well.....your screwed!

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
So glad we don't have to do this crap in Nebraska. I don't even need a title lol

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
No kidding. In AR you're supposed to title them but nobody does because people don't want to pay property tax on them.

Yall need to move to free states!

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
well here in PA its actually a LAW< all ATV's MUST be registered in PA and insured on anything BUT your OWN private lands, which FEW have and stay on!
a scam of sorts to see they get a slice of your money IMO
BUT one fine for NOT having it can cost more than paying for it(well all but Insurance maybe, that adds up over the yrs)
but I like having insurance on mine, peace of mind should it grow legs or a bad crash
and its cheap, or I think so, under 70 bucks a yr for me

but agree, if there is a bill of sale , that shows the $2500.00 and its a typo on the title shop
you should ONLY be required to pay the difference
that's what I would fight for any how
small things can make a big wave at times

so better to clear up now and right, and get on with things

·
Registered
767 Posts
So glad we don't have to do this crap in Nebraska. I don't even need a title lol

No kidding. In AR you're supposed to title them but nobody does because people don't want to pay property tax on them.

Yall need to move to free states!
You're suppsed to here too, but since the 450r was manufatured before Jan 1st, 2004, I don't need one. They might change the law here shortly, a bill that required everone to register thier atvs was brought up last year, and stuck down immediately by the goverener due to an overwhelming puplic uproar over the deal, and the fact that none of the money would have gone to the ONE state run ohv park in Nebraska.
If they do bring it back up in the unicameral and it passes, I'm SOL. I'll need to buy a titled frame and swap it all over.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I bought a farm truck in the summer, Paid 800 for it and wrote down less than that on the bill of sale, anyway it was a bucket of rust, pieces were falling off and it needed a lot of work, went to transfer the ownership and the lady said it wasn't old enough and that they had to tax me on the blackbook value of $4500. I damn near fell over, I was incredulous. I said look here lady it's a 2001 F150 farm truck its a raging pile of trash, do you want to see a picture? She said oh no it doesn't matter the condition it's not old enough to go by that price.

Goes to show the government wants it's finger in the pie. they've taxed this truck three times now is that not enough. The used vehicle tax is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of, huge money grab.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would pay the difference and blame the title Dept for the error. Then you won't have to worry about it latter. That is a high misdemeanor in Ohio.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I bought a farm truck in the summer, Paid 800 for it and wrote down less than that on the bill of sale, anyway it was a bucket of rust, pieces were falling off and it needed a lot of work, went to transfer the ownership and the lady said it wasn't old enough and that they had to tax me on the blackbook value of $4500. I damn near fell over, I was incredulous. I said look here lady it's a 2001 F150 farm truck its a raging pile of trash, do you want to see a picture? She said oh no it doesn't matter the condition it's not old enough to go by that price.

Goes to show the government wants it's finger in the pie. they've taxed this truck three times now is that not enough. The used vehicle tax is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of, huge money grab.
It is always stuck in my craw but you have to pay sales tax on a used vehicle. Tax has already been paid on that vehicle

1 - 19 of 28 Posts