Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed brand new pitbull growers 2.5s on new sti wheels on a 16 Rubicon with 225 miles. On the first ride out my buddy was following me and said one of them was wobbling while riding. I went home and took the wheel off and checked the hub and bearings and everything felt tight. The lugnuts were tight when I took the wheel off. Reinstalled wheel and torqued to 62ft lbs. Went on some ice and spun the tires and can still see it wobbles. Can a tire not be mounted "squarely"? Could I have a bent rim or defective tire? Something with wheeler itself? Could balance beads fix it? I'm stumped...

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok so I swapped the rears and it is definitely the tire/rim in question. I also noticed the others have a slight wobble but without actually looking for it you probably wouldn't see it. Now when I mounted these I used a car tire machine because I couldn't get them by hand without scratching the rim. And to get the bead to seat was a pain in the a**!! They didn't just pop into place either. Inflated them and then let them sit about 15 mins and then bounce them a little to get them to pop into place. These tires have extra deep rim guards. So I'm thinking maybe the tire is not fully seated as stated. How would I go about getting it to seat?

· Premium Member
12,712 Posts
you can try to pump the tires to 25 psi to make them seat then let the air back down to what you ride at ----the rim could have gotten bent on the tire machine , the tire could be bleem'ed or the tire got damaged by the tire machine you mentioned ----

I went to the tire store one time and the guy destroyed my rim

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Sometimes tires are moulded out of shape, I’ve no idea why. It could be you just have a bad tire..

Reactions: LedFTed

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking of pumping them up to 25 psi and leaving it over night off the ground.

Would balance beads take any of the wobble out? I'm sure I'm beyond any type of warranty as its been a few months since I purchased them.

· Registered
234 Posts
If it is the bead not fully seated I would suggest letting the air out then -spraying a little soap water along the bead and reflating the tire. It was mentioned that you can bring the tire up to 25PSI when seating the bead, if it means anything the tire I just installed on my bike I mounted myself and the tires themselves say do not exceed 36PSI when seating the bead. IIRC two of the tires required me to get pretty close to that PSI before they "popped".

BTW My tires are 25" Maxxis Zillas

Wayne

· Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Sometimes tires are moulded out of shape, I’ve no idea why. It could be you just have a bad tire..
perhaps if you got a set of bad tires it would cause problems all around, no matter if the bead seats true. are you losing air?
soapy water always helps when seating a tire. i had rims once, that were pitted. i sanded them best i could on the inside. then i spray painted them, many times, till, they were near flat, where the tire matches up. those rims held air pressure, over a decade. if you are not losing air, was it wobbly, before the new tires?

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tires aren’t losing air. And I didn’t have a wobble before. I’m hoping this weekend I can break it down and soaping it up as suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
if the rim is not bent ?, then my guess would be the tires are not seated all the way down on the rim bead.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
Changed tires for over 10 years. I would break them down spray with wd40 or some kinda slick lube. Air up to 35 and let sit couple days. Also tires need to be laying flat when inflating or will seat crooked on the wheel
I won't argue your 10 years of tire changing ?, but !!..never heard of tires that have to be laying flat to mount ?. maybe this is for car tires and trucks and stuff ?, but never in my life time for atvs had I needed to lay them flat to seat the beads. I do how ever lube the tire bead, and rim bead as you said, this helps a lot when seating the beads. I hate doing tires that have sunk in beads when you get them new ?, its a royal pain on some of them to get the beads to go out and seat the beads...lol. nothing a 2in wide ratchet strap around the middle can't handle..lol.

· Registered
132 Posts
If it is the bead not fully seated I would suggest letting the air out then -spraying a little soap water along the bead and reflating the tire. It was mentioned that you can bring the tire up to 25PSI when seating the bead, if it means anything the tire I just installed on my bike I mounted myself and the tires themselves say do not exceed 36PSI when seating the bead. IIRC two of the tires required me to get pretty close to that PSI before they "popped".

BTW My tires are 25" Maxxis Zillas

Wayne
I had to do that on my vampires, they were extremely hard to seat. Had to air them up then tap around the bead with a hammer to make it finally seat. No wobble for me though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.