Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, fairly new to the atv world, recently purchased some used tires and rims for my 89 350 Foreman, 26x8x12 and 26x11x12. After looking at them a bit closer I noticed that the fronts appear to be a bit smaller in diameter than the rears, after relentless searching I wasn't able to find a direct answer so what I'm wondering is if this is going to be a problem or not. The bike currently has 24x10x11 front and rear if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Shouldn't be a huge deal, I assume they are at least close in size? Same brand? Are they mounted on 12x7 wheels both front and back? Same air pressure? Your running on dirt and mud more so than pavement so there is some give to it anyway...

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I agree with MAC, if there the same brand/company made tire, they should be close, an atv doesn't weight as much as say a truck, so the slight difference isn;t going to have the same drive line problems as a heavy vehicle would
atv's will slip a tire before drive train MOST times, due again to being lighter, less down force on tires!, plus NO locker up front too!

you can measure them once there on atv and filled with air and see HOW much a difference , and if a bunch, try contacting the tire maker, maybe they will work with you?? never know?? as 26's should be 26's width should matter on DIA or NOT much of a difference!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe should have specified a bit. Tires aren't mounted on rims, the rims currently have bald tires on them so not sure on width.
Tires are both the same brand.

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
The manual specifies that circumference all around should be equal and gives the value. You might be able to equalize the measurement somewhat by adjusting air pressure.
Original size for the Fourtrax is 24x9x11 probably same size for Foreman although I think fourtrax ran ohtsu 401 and D ran 402. diff tread pattern

I hope your wheels fit--fitting new wheels to match the offsets is not easy

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
The rims he has are probably stock off something, I would assume maybe 6.5" wide front and 7.5" wide rear. Your putting a 9" wide front tire on a 6.5" wide rim, and an 11" wide rear tire on a 7.5" wide rim. So the rear tire is being squeezed a little more to fit the rim than the front. Should be enough to get them within 1/4-1/2" I would say. Plenty close enough for an ATV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rims are stock steel rims off of a late 90s 450 foreman if I remember correctly. Going to get them mounted today so will have to take some measurements once they're done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts