Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm gonna be getting some new tires soon for my 2016 rancher 420 SRA. Im gonna go with the bear claw htr's. Should I go with 25/8/12, 25/10/12 or the 26/9/12, 26/11/12. Im leaning more towards the 26's. Will I have any rubbing issues anywhere. I looking to keep everything else stock. Whats everyone else running?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The taller tires will give you more speed in each gear.....I like that idea because I think it's geared a little too low for most conditions anyway. Now that big jump between 4th and 5th is going to be bigger.LOL. More ground clearance of a half inch will be good too however it will be easier to tip over. Perhaps some wheel spacers would counteract this. I installed billet wheel spacers with my stock tires because It was a "tippy" to begin with.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
misterclean is correct, a larger tire will give you some added speed. Moving to a 26" tire will add approximately 1.5 mph.

·
Registered
749 Posts
If you are using stock rims.. remember you have 11" in the rear. So you will need aftermart rims or rims off a different model that are 12"

I'd go 26's. you'll notice some power loss but nothing major

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I was on 26" but wasn't pleased with the handling and towing...

I went with 25" 1" lug reptiles instead...

The slight ground clearance wasn't worth the power loss to me...

I tow a lot and I'm in the bush a lot.

Also, if you need to jump to a 12" rim for the rear, get a set of OEM Foreman rear rims... The offset will match correctly as a lot of aftermarket rims the offset doesn't do so well on the SRA bikes..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would I notice any power loss going with 26's. I heard going to 27's or bigger is when power reduction is lost and I'm not looking to do a gear reduction right now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know if I will have to get new lug nuts if Im getting the ITP delta steel wheels or can I reuse the stock lug nuts.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
you can reuse yours...

But the itp rear rims will be extra wide on the REAR of your 2016 SRA...

I have two for sale in my garage...

I highly recommend you go to honda and get the rear rims from a 500 SRA foreman..

·
Registered
324 Posts
Would I notice any power loss going with 26's. I heard going to 27's or bigger is when power reduction is lost and I'm not looking to do a gear reduction right now.
While the loss might be minimal, you ALWAYS lose power when you increase the diameter of the tires. It's physics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got the bear claw HTR 26X9R12 front and 26x11R12 rears and found they were a bit to big because they do read true 26" at 4psi and I noticed a lost of power I'm wondering if 25" would be better size wise

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ask yourself how much time you spend at top-end in 5th gear, then you will know how much you need the extra 1.5 mph.

Me personally, I have never been higher than 3rd gear - I find my machine is geared way too high. What I really need is a set of 20" wheels with a 30" tire facade bolted to the outside so my quad looks good. Just can't figure out how to make the facade look like it is turning...)

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I got the bear claw HTR 26X9R12 front and 26x11R12 rears and found they were a bit to big because they do read true 26" at 4psi and I noticed a lost of power I'm wondering if 25" would be better size wise

yes it would have in my opinion..

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Tyre (or tire) choice is difficult and I'm sure everybody has their own opinions of what is best and what their happy to accept as far as loss of power is concerned.

I recently made a mistake by fitting quite aggressive 24x10's all round on my 300 and found when In the mud I couldn't pull 2nd gear. Just to much grip and not enough bhp.

I've now resorted to 24x8 skinnies all round as I know I'll be able to pull 2nd gear. If I ever go bigger I shall look into a gear reduction and will most likely stick with skinnies.

My advice would be to make 26" your biggest option, secondly, what is your main riding terrain, trails, mud parks, mud bogs? If your in the mud, definitely go for a more narrow tyre, at least on the rear anyway. If it was me, after making an expensive tyre error already, I'd play it safe and go for 25's.

Reactions: Menard_LaPue

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
This might sound stupid, but if you can't turn them in 2nd gear then you always have first...lol
Haha.. First won't spin them fast enough to clear the mud out of the tread, first isn't quite enough in the swampy stuff either, it won't quite lift the front up and ride. Think I've managed to get a guy to post a GR to the UK though which is a bonus.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
This might sound stupid, but if you can't turn them in 2nd gear then you always have first...lol

Haha.. First won't spin them fast enough to clear the mud out of the tread, first isn't quite enough in the swampy stuff either, it won't quite lift the front up and ride. Think I've managed to get a guy to post a GR to the UK though which is a bonus.

Yes I seen rod's post on fb the other day. What size GR did you decide on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts

Yes I seen rod's post on fb the other day. What size GR did you decide on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Decided on 34% I can run 28" Muds as a maximum apparently, can't see me ever going bigger than that on my 300.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts