Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But I don't plan on buying rims, so without further ado here's my question:

It looks like the best tire you can get for a stock Rancher rim is the Bighorn 2.0. I've read _tons_ of great reviews for the original Bighorn tire, but the 2.0s don't seem to have quite as much information available. I wouldn't mind stepping up to a 25", but the only tires that I've seen in 25x10-11 are the Dirt Devil 2 and Mud Gears, both of which don't look to be as good. What are your thoughts/opinions on the matter? I'll mostly be playing in the woods, hauling logs, and hitting up rocky trails. I'm not a maniac for the mud, but snow traction is very important to me. Also keep in mind I'm rolling a 4x2. Oh, and please don't tell me to get new rims, that's not happening right now :)

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I wouldn't mind stepping up to a 25", but the only tires that I've seen in 25x10-11 are the Dirt Devil 2 and Mud Gears, both of which don't look to be as good.
You can get Mudlites, Kenda Bear Claws, and Titan AT589's in 25X10-11.

I haven't tried the Titan AT589's, but the Mudlites and Bear Claws are both good tires. Whatever you get, I would try to get a 6-ply tire, you will have less flats.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
The BigHorn is a great tire, the 2.0 is the same quality just lighter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the links Helmut. All's I got to do now is sell my crossbow so I can buy the tires :) I think I'm getting the Bighorn 2.0s, just kinda bummed that they don't come in R11s because the only complaint I have about this bike is that it feels like it needs gear between 2nd and 3rd, and I think having a bigger tire to prolong 2nd would help with that feeling.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Yes, I have driven a Rhino with the Bighorns and my parents RZR has the 2.0's. I can't tell a difference in performance.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
My uncles rancher has 25" mudlites, I assume thats what you have, and they work good for him. Keep in mind that the mudlites are a soft compound, and thats why they're so light. My other uncle has the 25" 589's on his rancher, and they have been on thereor a long time. They're heavier, and probably not ideal for a 4x2 but they will last. I had a few friends that had the original dirt devils on their 4x2 quads back in the day, about 8 or so years ago, and they seemed to be a really good tire. If the new dirt devils are anything like the old ones then they may be worth looking into.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I have Mudlites and I like them pretty good. They are 6-ply and they wear well.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I save my mudlites for winter. My XL's tread it too much for everyday summer riding

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
For the kenda bearclaws, try motorcyclysuperstore.com. I got 4 25'' tires for my stock rancher rims for $253 and change. No shipping fees.Very good deal and theyre 6 ply.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up with stock Rancher 420-sized Bighorn 2.0s, and so far I am quite pleased. I did notice that the motor seems to bog down a little bit but I think that's because I actually have traction now :) Compared to the (basically brand new) stock Maxxis M987/M988's they are WAY better in muck and mud, WAY better at clawing their way up through loose rocky dirt (running up a 45+ degree incline so far), and the thing I was most impressed with was steering. The stock front tires never seemed to bite well when I was trying to make a turn under power, causing it to feel like the bike wanted to push forward instead of a turn. I was _amazed_ at how the front just grabs and the bike actually steers much much much better. Granted this is all in my little <1 acre play pit that I have in my back yard, but it has lots of different terrain type in such a small area that I got to really play with them. I'll post back after I hit some of the real trails, and I can't wait to see how they do in snow this year.

$384 SHIPPED from ATV Accessories - ATV Tires, ATV Wheels, UTV Accessories (the only place around I could find stock sizes).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts