Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ah cant remember where this thread started, so.. it works for the front tire, it was a slow leaker.
i used bumper jacks in the days cars had real bumpers. my cousin or uncle, down the line, wrecked his Pontiac, think it was a 58, 4 times... twice he snapped telephone poles. didnt hurt the car much. E didnt get hurt neither, probably too much booze. it makes ya flexible..
anyway, these new cars are designed, to fold, like an accordion, therefore absorbing the energy of an impact, [ah aint making this stuff up], to keep you safer. i rather ride with uncle Charlie, in the old days.., snapping poles or not.
if a moderator can move it, to the original thread, it was only a few weeks ago.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
ya'll cant remember where it was? i'm the one with 4 stroke's. only two major.
now, ya have to suffer a story. not like it wasnt the 1st time.
me mom, had a buick, i think it was an 85, maybe 86. it was a sled. you could pack people in there. 4 or 5 comfortable in the back seat. century maybe.
anyway, the pin broke in the rear differential. ya might be going down the road at 50, sometimes less, and the rear wheels would lock up. interesting times. i only drove it 4 or 5 times like this, till i decided to fix it. {i tell ya, once that locked up, it was hell on steering}.. anyway, the pin was broke in two place's. cost , a tube of permatex + $5 to $10.oo at the junk yard for the pin, to fix IT. <it joke.
didnt use the whole tube of permatex, just had to buy it.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i remember them day's, an then some. i seen a guy take lighter fluid, maybe even gas, put it inside the tire, that was inside the rim, then light it. that tire was sealed. i aint tried that, yet. dont know it i want too. whoosh/pow

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
never seen anything like that before. were it bigger, it could work on all kind's of tires. i'm already drawing the plans out, in my mind. probably wouldnt sell..
kid's these days, aint interested. the rest of us are to old.. i remember breaking tires down with lug wrenches. that was work. especially if you were light. saved money though.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
I done big truck tires and split rims in my younger years when I was hungry ----there is a cool video on facebook of a small Asian woman breaking down a big truck tire and making it look easy

·
Registered
751 Posts
i remember them day's, an then some. i seen a guy take lighter fluid, maybe even gas, put it inside the tire, that was inside the rim, then light it. that tire was sealed. i aint tried that, yet. dont know it i want too. whoosh/pow
I used the ether method a little over a week ago to mount the front tires on the Rincon. It works well when the rim is way wider than the tire :eek:

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I have a set of worn out 589's on aluminum Rubicon wheels. I tried breaking them down on my harbor freight tire thingy a couple of weeks ago, and actually got the bead busted loose, but the dang sidewalls are so stiff I couldn't get the bead over the edge of the rim to get them off.

Figured I'd try Walmart. They couldn't get it off either.

They're still in the back of my truck. Figured the co-op could get them off, but depending on who's working, I've been charged as little as $5/wheel and as much as $15/wheel to break them down. Going to have to catch it when the decent guy is there.

As far as light fluid goes.....here we go.

Back about 15 years ago my neighbor had a dolly with big tires on it that I borrowed to move some stuff. One tire was flat, and I didn't have a compressor so I tried the lighter fluid trick to set the bead so I could air the tire up with my hand pump.

The thing is, lighter fluid isn't THAT combustible, so when I hit the match to it, it just set the wheel on fire. I didn't think before I did all of this and was standing in my front yard in February, which was nice brown bermuda. Yard catches on fire, so I push the flaming dolly over to the driveway, which leaves a line of fire all the way through the yard. At this point I have a 20 foot wall of fire blowing across the yard. Spreading quick. I'm thinking "I'm gonna burn the whole neighborhood down!". Ran the garage, grabbed a fire extinguisher, and put it out. That's the only time I've ever had to use a fire extinguisher. The neighbors across the street were watching the whole time. They were quite amused.

So, if you want to blow the tire to set the bead, use GASOLINE or ETHER. It has to be a quick "whoomp" to set the bead. If you use anything less volatile you just set your tire on fire. Before I got a good compressor I used the gas trick fairly often. Leave the valve stem core out, pour an ounce or two of gas in the tire, and light it. You'll get a "BOOM" and the tire will expand, and then you'll hear the valve stem suck air back in and the tire will slowly deflate a little. Put core back in, air it up.

Disclaimer, DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK! This is dangerous and stupid. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if ya got nitrogen or co2, ya dont have to worry about tire pressure changing so much when the tire gets hot. i have used ratchet straps, and dish soap to get the bead to stick. depending on the tire size, the strap could be 7/8s to 2 inches. i also used rope, wrap it around the tire, so many times, and wind it up with a stick.

·
Registered
751 Posts
if ya got nitrogen or co2, ya dont have to worry about tire pressure changing so much when the tire gets hot. i have used ratchet straps, and dish soap to get the bead to stick. depending on the tire size, the strap could be 7/8s to 2 inches. i also used rope, wrap it around the tire, so many times, and wind it up with a stick.
Funny you say that, i did use a ratchet strap on the 2nd rear tire & it worked fine. But the front were too narrow when i tried it, so ether it was! :laugh: :shocked:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Funny you say that, i did use a ratchet strap on the 2nd rear tire & it worked fine. But the front were too narrow when i tried it, so ether it was! :laugh: :shocked:
I saw a video on youtube of a guy mounting smaller tires on wide rims. He put jackstands inside the tire to hold them open, and left them in the sun for a few hours. Worked well imo.

I have been looking for different methods as i just bought a set of 12" rims, and 27" Zillas and i need to mount the tires as i couldnt find the package deal i wanted. looking forward to next weekend lol

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
That's MUCH safer than starting fluid ....

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'm not sure that using petroleum type product's, is good for the tire..
i got a boot for the 46 tractor shifter, i t was to tight, so i soaked it in gas, so that it might swell up.
instead, when i took it out, it shrunk, and was hard as an 8-ball. :wink

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
True that!! ^^^ Nah Ted starting fluid.. For popping out tires .. Not gas.... I've never even heard of anyone trying to pop out a tire with gas... I reckon it can be done.... (NOT BY ME)

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
True that!! ^^^ Nah Ted starting fluid.. For popping out tires .. Not gas.... I've never even heard of anyone trying to pop out a tire with gas... I reckon it can be done.... (NOT BY ME)
I used gas. Just don't use a lot of it. Starting fluid now doesn't work like it used to, unless you get real ether. Most of what you buy nowadays is propane, and doesn't burn fast enough to give you that "POP".

I've had tires for 6-8 years that I seated with gas, no problems out of them.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sitting in the sun isnt a bad idea actually.
when working with shingles the best time to do it is in the summer hot weather. expansion rates, not brittle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
6 Participants
LedFTed
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing