Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front left tire has a slow leak at the rim edge. No matter what I do the bead will not seat! I've took the tire off cleaned the rim edge of the very little rubber/dirt that was there. Before I put it all back together I want to know if anyone can think of anything else? I can't spend any money due to wedding budget. Also 4-5 inches down the rim its ever so slightly bent in. You can't notice it unless u measure it. Any suggestions are helpful

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
rim is bent...it will continue to leak until you either fix the bent part ?..or replace the rim ?..you can try a product called slime..but i've never had any luck with it..and it's nasty stuff if it does not work !..lol..makes a mess inside the tire and rim..lol.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
T.Culp: I agree with Shadetree: You could try putting a product called Slime in the tire/wheel. It might work depending on how bent the rim is. If it's a slow leak (takes a couple of days or more to go flat), then Slime might work. However, as Shadetree also said, the right thing to do is to replace the wheel. Do you have stock wheels, or aftermarket wheels? If you have stock wheels, then someone on this forum might have an extra wheel for you.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Slime definitely cured slow leaks at the bead on mine, not immediately, you have to ride some to get it to spread inside the tire. I used about 1/4 of the small (medium?) size bottle in each of the two problem rims.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
My 300ex had a bent wheel no big deal I kept noticing it was loosing air when I finally switched the wheel because I wanted to sell it the old wheel had a hairline crack in it. Now that wheel is a hose reel and don't be afraid to buy a used spray painted wheel I did and bought "aircraft paint stripper" the wheel came out awesome

·
Premium Member
12,340 Posts
Slime

I recently did 4 tires on my wife's 300 and I cleaned , sanded and painted the rims , cleaned the tire beads and two of them still slow leaked around the bead seat , I had a gallon pump jug of the slime and put 8 shots ( 8 OZ) in each tire and took a couple of quick rides and found it slowed it down more but was still leaking , she rode it that day and the next weekend before riding they were down again , I took the tires off the bike and layed them on their sides and wobbled them around to distribute the slime over the beads , let them sit a while and did it again several times while working on other things , flipped them over and repeated the process , it stopped the leaks completely , I put 5 lbs in my tires and it has held 5 lbs the last two weekends -------------- seems to me that just riding it doesn't get the slime where it needs to be for a bead leak , it needs a little help getting there

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK I was a bit unspecific lol the lip is slightly bent about 5 inches away from where air is leaking out where the bendt lip is it is sealing perfect and it is a slow leak it takes about half to full day to go flat. This is the same tire I couldn't get the bead to seal last time and all I used was a little fix a flat and it was cured. Now I got new tires and the leak is back. Like I said the bend part seals perfect and the bend is in the lip. Its tough to explain or show a pic BC the little bend is like I said really not noticeable unless u put something straight across it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Almost forgot I already wire brushed the lip its spotless, regressed the whole rim, and cleaned with soap and water

·
Premium Member
12,340 Posts
tire sealant

I was following you that the bend has nothing to do with the leak ----------if you don't like the idea of slime then get some black goowee tire bead sealer , break the tire off the bead , apply the sealant and blow the tire up to specs

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Your bead is cut more than likely. The tire doesn't seal on the outer edge of the rim. About a half inch in is s raised rib that is what deals the tire. . If you don't want to spend a lot of money? put a tube in it

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Your bead is cut more than likely. The tire doesn't seal on the outer edge of the rim. About a half inch in is s raised rib that is what seals the tire. . If you don't want to spend a lot of money? put a tube in it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: while I was filling the tire today air was rushing out faster then could fill ( I was using a slow $10 slime electric car pump) couldn't get the tire filled so I said screw it and put 1/4 can of slime aerosol can in. Got the sealeant to leak out the leak a little. Hooked up the air pump and filled in a couple seconds. Still holding air 30 mins later. Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am fixing up my Honda ATV, My tires were old and had some cracks and an air leak. I used super glue to repair the cracks and put the tire back on the 2 piece rim. the tire did not leak, but I could not get the bead to seal. I cleaned the rim and tire really good, but tehn noticed the tire was not seating good. I tried dish soap three times with no luck. then I used KY jelly and it popped into place. I read not to use grease. and not to over inflate the tire. worked really good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts