Premium Member
1,083 Posts
New wheel?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
I don't think you need a new wheel, LOL
But wheel damage can cause leaks, be it a bent spot, damaged from trails(rocks and like), or could be a BAD tire, that has tire damage to it where it needs to seal
WHO mounted the tire, YOU or a shop?
to rule out the tire you can, mark tire where its leaking now, then deflate it, and spin it on wheel and re inflate and see if it still leaks in same spot on tire,
OR wheel
if same spot on tire, then its the tire that has damage

if the wheel, then the wheel has damage, if steel wheels, they can be bent back pretty easy and be good to go again

if aluminum?? well you might be able to smooth out the area to get a better seal, but if damaged enough and or cracks, its time for a new wheel!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cleaned the rim with a grinder. Mounted it myself. Old tire had trouble too staying inflated. May be the rim but it looks ok

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
Cleaned the rim with a grinder. Mounted it myself. Old tire had trouble too staying inflated. May be the rim but it looks ok
maybe you have too ruff a finish from the grinder?
but even so, if the wheel was out of round from a bend, grinder or not, unless you made it back to true round, it can still be the issue here, of a bend in the wheel, all the more so if you say it leaked before!

are the wheels steel or aluminum ??

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
Steel wheel
they are very prone to bending, but there also very easy to hammer back out
if you again, know where on the wheel its leaking, I would make it, and pull tire and inspect the area really well, and tap out if need be to get it right!

·
Registered
2 Posts
KY

I changed my tire and could not get the bead to seal and noticed it was not completely seated. I tried dish soap and 40psi 3 times with no luck. then I used KY jelly ( really slippery ) and it sealed right up. No Leaks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts