Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you adjust tie rod ends? I have a front right tire I think is out of alignment and I was looking at the tie rods and I see the lock nut, however after I back the lock nut off what do I do. I checked the service manual and it only shows how to remove them....I have a 2010 trx420fe

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
There should be a jam nut against the tie-rod end (outer and inner) loosen them and turn the rod. I generally measure the front of the tire at the same tread oon both front tires across the width of the quad and then measure the rear of the tire the same way I think you want about 1/4 to 3/8 toe out, Helmut may know of an easier way but that's how I've always done it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meaning when you measure, the part of the tire facing forward should be 1/4 to 3/8 in more outward?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Yes I believe so_Ok I just checked the 450 Forman manual it says ....Toe out 1 3/8 +/- 9/16" so yes to answer you question hope that helps? I know yours is a 420 rancher but they should be close

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, that's how I adjust them, too. The toe out for the 4wd Rancher is 9mm or 0.4in. I've found as long as you have little toe out you will be fine. It doesn't have to be exact. 4wds are supposed to have a little toe out and 2wds are supposed to have a slight toe in.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so when I back the lock nut off I turn the rod itself to adjust? This is the part I'm not sure about. I don't want to have to remove any bushings or boots or anything.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
That is correct, loosen both jam nuts and turn the tie rod itself. There will be a flat spot on the tie rod near the knuckle so that you can turn it, that is why one tie rod end is left hand threaded.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yep, like jk said, loosen both jam nuts and turn the tie rod, itself. Turning in one direction shortens it and turning in the other direction lengthens it.

·
Banned
4 Posts
There should be a jam nut against the tie-rod end (outer and inner) loosen them and turn the rod. I generally measure the front of the tire at the same tread oon both front tires across the width of the quad and then measure the rear of the tire the same way I think you want about 1/4 to 3/8 toe out, Helmut may know of an easier way but that's how I've always done it.
[/QUOTE

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Do y'all know which way the nuts unscrew?
Seriously, youve got to be kidding us right?!!
Turn them and find out for Christ sake, it's pretty obvious!!

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
I have been trying I can't get them loose so I was wondering which way they turn so I can make sure I do it right.
Try following the thread pattern with your thumbnail. Should be anti clockwise as you’re looking at the nut against the tie rod end
Spray them with Deep Creep and let them set for a couple days. You could then try to break them loose or wave a torch on the nut for a few seconds and then try again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts