Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I can't be the only person that has this problem, so I'm hoping someone else has found a solution. After only about 10 minutes riding on my honda foreman my thumb starts to cramp. After 15 or 20 minutes it's either numb or in pain. In cold weather my thumb is frozen. I did put on a thumb throttle extension and that helped just a little. I've seen some twist grip throttles but am not sure how well they work or which one to get, or how complicated it is to install them. Please give me some direction and advise.
Thank you,
Numb Thumb in Michigan

·
Banned
638 Posts
Good question I’m kinda interested in the twist (or as I call it the rip throttle) throttle also.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Redrider posted a link to a throttle extension you can purchase, and I just bought a machine last weekend that has one, and it is a nice little device. I'm going to put one on my other machine ASAP. It allows you to use more of your palm instead of all your thumb.

I don't know what it's called, but just look at ATV supply sites, and do a search and I'm sure you'll find it.

ADDED: This is it right here, I think this is the very same one I have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mad-Dog-Thumb-Assist-Pro-ATV-Throttle-Adjusting-Lever_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ320432781336QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I wouldn't advise using a twistie on an ATV when you turn it's not like a bike you are more in control but on an ATV you want to lean or lay off the side that changes your whole grip on the bars. you actually twist your hands as you ride, so a twist throttle would be hazardous if not even deadly for the novice rider. but it's your body... ASK Redracer his opinion and 69quadracer I think they would agree.

Pain has the deal in his post.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I have the same problem when riding my 700grizzly but the 450 i don't have any trouble but like you said my right thumb gets very numb after a little riding i just start shaking my right hand i get the circulation going again and its good for a little while i also twisted my throttle up more so i would be using more of my palm seemed to help a little.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here is the one I'm looking at getting. It can be stowed up out of the way for normal use of the thumb throttle, no cables to change,,,seems pretty easy. As far as being safe,,,well of your thumb is hurting and your thinking more about the pain than you are about the driving ,,,that can't be safe. Plus wiht this one if your in a technical situation and need the thumb throttle foor "more control" then just flip it up outta the way,,,:icon_ banana:
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0046202523093a.shtml

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
I had a twist on my tecate but I did not ride all that agresive except in a strait line. I would not have now though I agree with Moose its not safe or easily controlled

·
Banned
638 Posts
Here is the one I'm looking at getting. It can be stowed up out of the way for normal use of the thumb throttle, no cables to change,,,seems pretty easy. As far as being safe,,,well of your thumb is hurting and your thinking more about the pain than you are about the driving ,,,that can't be safe. Plus wiht this one if your in a technical situation and need the thumb throttle foor "more control" then just flip it up outta the way,,,:icon_ banana:
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0046202523093a.shtml
That’s kinda neat. I like that....but 40bucks tho? for 2 pieces of plastic and a grip?

·
Registered
72 Posts
come on it's only money,,the give ya some every two weeks!!!! But we all know that it's the "idea" that we are paying for not the cost of the materials :lifting:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Agree^^^^^

·
Banned
638 Posts
come on it's only money,,the give ya some every two weeks!!!! But we all know that it's the "idea" that we are paying for not the cost of the materials :lifting:
A retarded money could have come up with that idea. I mean come on 40 bucks for some breakable plastic. S**t for 40 bucks it should be aluminum or something stronger. I don’t care how much they say its "durable" plastic. All plastic has to do is get hot..Then it reformable and easier to break. I know most of you live up in the northern states but hear in Florida you go riding for less than 30min and the bike is already 3541654351321 degrease.
But don’t get me wrong that was a good find!!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
A product will sell for what someone will pay.

·
Banned
638 Posts
A product will sell for what someone will pay.
Yeah I know...sadly it happens that way. I mean the idea is cool but the material is just crap IMPO

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
metal has to be tooled which is very expensive. Plastic is molded. The molds cost a lot of money to make, but after that the parts are relatively cheap. Then, there's packaging, and marketing, and blah blah blah. If they sell a gabillioin units, then they'll sell for 5 cents. These I expect aren't selling that well :)

So, the next time you come up with a good idea, or your pet retarded monkey does, write it down.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Quit making fun of my MONKEY he can't help it!!!

So, the next time you come up with a good idea, or your pet retarded monkey does, write it down.

·
Banned
638 Posts
metal has to be tooled which is very expensive. Plastic is molded. The molds cost a lot of money to make, but after that the parts are relatively cheap. Then, there's packaging, and marketing, and blah blah blah. If they sell a gabillioin units, then they'll sell for 5 cents. These I expect aren't selling that well :)

No need for machining metal can be casted just as easy as plastic.

I wasn’t trying to piss anyone off with the monkey thing I’m just having a f-ed up day. Things are getting to me just a little more than normal. You ever have one of thos days where you can see yourself stabbing someone in a face 10 or 50 if they piss you off enough?...that’s how 2day is going for me.

·
Banned
638 Posts
Wel cheer up!!!!!
Yeah I will in a bit when I go down stairs and me and Jose Cuervo are gonna sit down and have a nice loooooong talk. I think I’m strung out cus I haven’t smoked 2day. I ran out of :icon_ rasta: yesterday. :icon_frown:

edit- Im happy now mango kush is on it's way to my house!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts