Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
<snip>

I'm going to look at these quads tomorrow.... Sure seems like a good deal for either. I've had Recons and a Foreman but never a Rancher. I'm reading there are several variations of the Rancher.

What do you guys think about them ?

Solid axle. Manual shift. 4x4.

Any advice ? Pro's or con's ? Things to look "out" for ? I'm thinking the newer year is probably a better deal... I dunno.

Thank you guys...

Steve

·
Super Moderator
36,450 Posts
well, for one, neither one of those are solid axles !!. they have the axles like the old trx300's used many moons ago. only the foremans ( older versions ) have the true solid axles. if I was to chose between those two ?, i'd go with the red one. already has a warn winch, and that alone is a make or break deal between the two.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, for one, neither one of those are solid axles !!. they have the axles like the old trx300's used many moons ago. only the foremans ( older versions ) have the true solid axles. if I was to chose between those two ?, i'd go with the red one. already has a warn winch, and that alone is a make or break deal between the two.

Didn't realize the difference in the axles, thanks.

Any issues with either year of them that you guys know of ?

My thing is the drum brakes... I'm always fighting with the rear drum on my Foreman. I just need to spring for a rear disc brake kit.

The brake kit will be for another thread.. :)

·
Super Moderator
36,450 Posts

Didn't realize the difference in the axles, thanks.

Any issues with either year of them that you guys know of ?

My thing is the drum brakes... I'm always fighting with the rear drum on my Foreman. I just need to spring for a rear disc brake kit.

The brake kit will be for another thread.. :)
nope, those were some good atvs. until owners start doing mods ?..lol. brake conversion if they make them for those years ?..you will be a happy camper ! :). as for solid and open axles ?, when they have carrier tubes on each side of the differential ?..these are called solid axles.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
MMM a solid axel to me is a solid piece of treated axel material not separated by anything and has splined ends with hubs bolted on to it.. Like 300 fw's and ranchers without independent rear suspension IRS (Not the Government agency). Honda classifies SRA as the Ranchers and 300 fw's.. I don't care what you cover it with, its axel is solid from one end to the other.. hence SOLID REAR AXEL..

·
Super Moderator
36,450 Posts
MMM a solid axel to me is a solid piece of treated axel material not separated by anything and has splined ends with hubs bolted on to it.. Like 300 fw's and ranchers without independent rear suspension IRS (Not the Government agency). Honda classifies SRA as the Ranchers and 300 fw's.. I don't care what you cover it with, its axel is solid from one end to the other.. hence SOLID REAR AXEL..
you are correct, but some of us old guys..such as myself..call a solid axle, where is the differential has tubes on it. but still..you are correct in regards to the axle being solid from tip to tip.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it on the axles.. I have the carrier tubes on my Foreman.

Yeah...not sure on the disk conversions for the drum location on those Ranchers... The
drum on my Foreman is next to the wheel... I'll have to look around.

I like reliable stuff..thanks for the info.

Not sure what I'm going to do but I'm going to look at them tomorrow regardless. They're at a stealership so who knows what I'll find when I get there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Larry. I appreciate the info..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmmm... I should prolly cross out the 07 Recon in my Sig.... I sold it to finance a bigger bike for my daughter..

I was thinking the 420 would be a good fit. The bride could ride it too when she wasn't with me on the Popo..

She's not getting another ES... Time for her to learn and understand shifting.. One step closer for learning to drive a stick...lol.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I don't buy anything I cant verify the miles on or hours for that kind of money.. I don't trust dealers about low miles (especially in that hole Detroit where there is more corruption than Washington). They don't have speedos or hour meters. I don't know if it is possible but check to see if another dealer can run the computers on them to verify hours or mileage.. If not WALK AWAY.. Dealers are real good at DuPont overhauls and bullSH(T. Find a used one from a private person or something with a operating speedo..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't buy anything I cant verify the miles on or hours for that kind of money.. I don't trust dealers about low miles (especially in that hole Detroit where there is more corruption than Washington). They don't have speedos or hour meters. I don't know if it is possible but check to see if another dealer can run the computers on them to verify hours or mileage.. If not WALK AWAY.. Dealers are real good at DuPont overhauls and bullSH(T. Find a used one from a private person or something with a operating speedo..

I didn't know there was a way to check hours on these bikes. Do they have something like an OBD 2 port ? Cool if they do.

I do agree that I like an ODO and speedo.. Not sure if I want to spend the coin on a more sophisticated bike or not though..

Too many pokers in the fire and all..

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Having a speedo doesn't make it sophisticated. They all run the same. Usually when you see these ranchers without the gauge clusters they have run the living shiznet out of them and they got them from some rental outfit at a power sports auction or something... I don't know if you can run the clock on the computers on them, but it wouldn't hurt to ask another dealer or something to find out.. They would have to give them 4 wheelers to me if they don't have a speedo.. I don't trust anyone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL.... I hear you. I'm a skeptic as well. That being said I consider myself a 110% truthful seller. I have to live with myself and I wouldn't want to take advantage... But, not everyone thinks the same.

I'll look at them really well, ask about the puter/hours.

I'm not in a hurry and still undecided.

Wish I could get a new one for 4600.....<sigh>....:dry:

:laugh:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
They are selling them 2016 ranchers brand new at Verns Honda in Antigo Wisconsin for 4899 no fees except tax and title NO EPS.. Brand new that's a pretty good deal.. Verns will beat any lower price. But that is just a example of what new machines are going for.. So people that ask 4-5 grand for a used rancher ARE NUTS unless they are like new with 200 miles and 20 hours on them with power steering.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
If I can remember that far back I think I paid $5200 for my 07 Rancher 4x4 ES (which gets you the speedometer) from Extreme Honda in Brilliant Ohio = $4000 for a used foot shift seems high

No difference in ES shifting VS foot shifting - since there's no clutch to deal with, you only need to recognize times to shift based on rpms and power need = whether you do it with a thumb or foot is no different

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
The fottshifts around here are in the $2500-3K range. $4K is retarded for a used FM rancher.

Saw a really clean 420 yesterday for $2650.....then the guy said "It used to be an ES but the ES wouldn't work right so I converted it to a footshift"

I sold a MINT Camo 420FM a little over a year ago, got $3350 for it, and I had to list it for quite a while to get that for it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Deals like that aren't around in these parts.. Believe me, I shop around..

I bought the green '11. It is really, really clean besides one crack in the plastic. I paid 4K ca$h OTD and they threw in a complete new set of takeoffs from another Rancher.

I pick it up in the morning and I'll take it home, do all the fluid changes and document it in a folder.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen !

Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts