Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2008 Rancher 420 and the oil dip-stick is under a fairing , at least thats what I call it .
Well I always check the oil level of anything ,except a car , before I operate it (I have OCD :) seriously) Anyways , to check the oil I have to remove the fairing every time and I dont want to wear out the fasteners . I thought about doing this : Using a hole saw and cutting a hole in the fairing big enough for me to get to the oil dipstick and then using a rubber grommet to "dress up" the hole , like having trim around it to look proffessional .
Does this sound okay ?
Normally I would just do it and not ask because I am all about function over fashion ,but this is a brand new Honda , you know ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maybe you should be thinking about taking a nerve medicine instead. Personaly I would stop checking the oil level so much, even though the O.M. tells you to, remember it's just another opinion.

I'm puzzled how some people can go from one extreme to the other. Beware of nervous energy!!!

I got the holesaw and drill if you need them.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I wouldn't do it man. I have ocd as well and I check mine every other 2 rides. But I wouldn't drill it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha ha that is funny . I am not too bad , I guess I got the good kind that makes me check things that CAN GO BAD like stove burners, plugged in items that dont need to be plugged-in and left alone , and oil levels (because that IS the life of an ENGINE)

Seriously tough , how much do you think that fairing may cost if I bought a new one ? Or where should I check to buy a new one If I mess up mine ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also , this may sound like I weird thread/ post but guys I really appreciate your help a bunch ,,,, and a good laugh:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey tercel89,

Yes, no doubt oil level is everything. I'm thinking a colored panel would be less than a camo panel and because it's small I would guess $40-45 or less.

This same panel on mine seems to bow away from the middle clip in spot. Anybody got a reason for this or a fix?

Never mind, I'm a Rancher newbie...I realized the slot in the bottom of the panel needed to have the tab from the panel below that one properly insert into the slot of the panel you remove to check the oil. Now it looks right.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just cut it with a hole saw . I cut a 5 inch hole in the fairing and then smoothed out the edges . It looks pretty good . If I knew how to post pics here then I would do so . Its neat , I can now check my oil without taking off the fairing .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
tomgodd
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing