Honda ATV Forum banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Well today I decided that I would rebuild my quad and that I am going to keep it forever. I will continue to make it the dream 400ex as I go. I am doing a rebuild so soon because I had a blown gasket and it messed up the setting of the rings and I want to do a proper hard break in. I am planning on doing a complete video of me tearing it down and rebuilding it with my go pro. So for you people that don't know how to tear down a motor and put it back together can learn. I will be doing all of this in a few weeks when I go home again from college and all of my parts are there.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
So I got my quad rebuilt. . . and man can you tell a difference. I found out why it was burning oil. The top ring was put on upside down so it wasn't scraping the walls correctly. I also did the hard break in method and not a single bit of smoke came out the tail pipe. I used FlexHone cylinder honer and it worked great. Before I cranked it for the I poured some oil into the spark plug hole and turned it over to build pressure underneath and left the spark plug out.

Before I rebuilt it, it had a bad hesitation problem in the bottom end. Now it runs perfect all the way through and it pulls the wheels up in 4th. I am excited to go riding once I get out of school for the summer. There is a man up the street from where I live that is supposedly building a track in the old sand pits that I use to ride in. I am hoping he will let me and my friends ride down there occasionally but really me so I can actually get some good practice in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just rebuild my 440 and I used a ball type hone too I did the rings and used cometic MLS gasket kit, I have stocker headstuds too and no problems either. I too did the hard break in. no smoke out my pipe either only the oil from putting rings in. glad to hear all is well!
Beast Mode :lifting:

121 - 130 of 130 Posts