Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The $200 1986 TRX200SX....the dogshit atv.

Went for a honda bigred and found this outside...It ended up being exactly what I needed to follow my kid around when shes on her little moto4 80. I found its vin and got a bill a sale and started the title process on it.

semi auto 5spd
reverse
full suspension
dogshit drum brakes.

Already scrapped rear wheels and tires and put on my nice LTR450 spares
Bought a 86-87 TRX250R grab bar to mod onto the frame since no one makes anything for this atv.

Bought a set of nice aluminum FLY Racing 400ex bend bars I try and use on everything I own.
Next is try and swap front rims to a 10" aluminum wheel or swap to 300ex spindles...

My quick goal is to make it roll and steer. We will fix the rest up later after my trike build.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Drug another one home with some nicer stuff on it. $400 foe this one. I wanted the new plastic clarke fuel tank it had on it. $330 or buy full atv for $400. The machines dash lit up and starter tried to fire it up. Carb is gummed up from old rusty metal tank and bad fuel. Most of what I need is between the two now. I'll sell off other once build is over after I check the rocker arms and cams
Wheel Tire Building Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not sure yet on fronts. I have a nice set of OEM steel wheels but I hate steel wheels. I bought a set of 1987-1992 trx250x rear hubs for $35 and threw them in my powder coat pile. I have one 200sx almost in parts. This week I will turn the correct width spacer so bolt up an 86-87 trx250r grab bar. I try to keep things stock but always ends up getting better stuff. The front pre airbox assembly is a enginerring marvel....way over kill. I took all that off. Cut up the steering stem to remove the stupid lock assembly. Sadly both my kingpin front ends are 100% tight. I might just need to machine the 300ex hubs I have to fit. Can't be that hard. Rear drum needs disk brakes. Sprocket will get a sprocket guard from UHMW. Skid plates are worthless in my eyes. Rear shock mount needs moved back on the swinger, its nearly vertical not allowing shock movement. I just like to make stuff no one wants better.

· Registered
45 Posts
Nice man I wish I had a lathe to use. I make dude with my stick welder, Grinder and drills.

I got 400ex hubs for the rear likely will do spacers up front. This thing needs to be widened for sure.

I thought the rear shock setup is stiff only to find my the rear shock and swingarm were frozen. Found that a week after greasing the zerk and my rear shock let the magic gas out. The shock is getting trashed anyway.

And yes the skid plates are garbage lol.

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stupid flag mount gone. Rear mounts that were bad on frame gone. Wednesday I'll turn. Grab bar plugs and weldon. I do not want the grab bar to fill up with dirt whe. Riding it.

Progress. Here's. My other pile of crap.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ended up buying a XFR banshee front bumper. I needed a wide frame mounting area which banshee is about 7inchs and this 200sx is around there also. After this It's try and make rear trx250r rotor work! Drums need to go!

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After my buddy destroyed one set of front rims, (THANKS) I had him remove the bad tires since I have a broken finger. I was left twith one nice rim and one not nice rim on this other junker...I was toying with the idea of building a conversion plate but that's just adding more weight, more bolts, more time, more money. Time is money which everyone forgets. I ordered new front rims. I will later weld in stiffener rings since they are .125 thick. My new Idea which looks like I have room to turn down the drum hub, weld on a plate to bolt on 300ex front rotors I have...from there calipers come etc....screw hydrolic drum brakes....one or the other, not both. Hardest thing build a machine better is you need to chose a direction and go with it. My time is worth something, its not free. The shit we do for our kids....

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got a ton of powdercoated parts back. This is done for now. Seat was sent out for new foam and restored cover. Might see that back around summer. Hopefully this week I can cut vin plate off and weld it not in the path of the chain. Now it's off to mess with the trike.
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got in the Douglas junk labels lol. They couldn't even get the bolt pattern spot on. Ive had issues in the past with them. Hey I fixed it and atleast have good rims. I need to laser cut stiffer rings. If I use the oem drum hubs I neeed to mill a spot flush so rim sits flat. For now it's somthing. Getting said bolt on parts is half the battle. Off to next project.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nearly parted my junker that was a roller. I saved some good parts. This onea frames ready for my scrap guy. Front end us all kinda pushed up pushed over bend up down....yard riders seem to kill machines. It cost me nothing at this point with some free stuff like extra motor.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just cut this frame up....sadly but it was very bad. I kept the good stuff or stuff I can make good. Anyway I will be selling the rear drum stuff off. The stuff you can not get anymore. I decided after a tad bit of checking I will build a new rear rotor mount flange for trx250r, turn down the rear drum housing to use the splines and weld the flange to the spline'd housing. Next we will add a YZ426F front dual piston caliper because we can! I will need to cut up the carrier to remove all the drum stuff and weld on a caliper mount which is not big deal and later turn to aluminum bushings to space caliper where I want it. Lotta work but still makes more scene then trying to find obsolete oil/dust seals. The little toys are just so cool and fun to cut up!

I have 300ex rear master-cylinder up in the loft not being used I saved from parting out one.

onward UNTIL next time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts