Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I just bought a very used 1990 TRX 350, and found this forum in my search for info. Have done a bit of reading and decided to join up and pick some brains.
Here is what I know so far: needs new plastic--won't start(no compression)--kick starter is not turning the engine-- left front boot is broken--rear shaft boot is off. That may lead to some internal damage to the CVJ's.
As for the kicker--I suspect the sprague bearing, and maybe even a good flush may free it up. The lack of compression cause is unknown yet, it may be valves(it is blowing hard out into the carb, so the intake valve(s) may be bad. But it will be a late fall project for me(retired) and hopefully, I will get it running for winter.

Need a manual, but can't seem to find a source fot this particular year. Will a 1987 TRX 350 manual be sufficient???

Looking foward to spending some time here.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Hello all
I just bought a very used 1990 TRX 350, and found this forum in my search for info. Have done a bit of reading and decided to join up and pick some brains.
Here is what I know so far: needs new plastic--won't start(no compression)--kick starter is not turning the engine-- left front boot is broken--rear shaft boot is off. That may lead to some internal damage to the CVJ's.
As for the kicker--I suspect the sprague bearing, and maybe even a good flush may free it up. The lack of compression cause is unknown yet, it may be valves(it is blowing hard out into the carb, so the intake valve(s) may be bad. But it will be a late fall project for me(retired) and hopefully, I will get it running for winter.

Need a manual, but can't seem to find a source fot this particular year. Will a 1987 TRX 350 manual be sufficient???

Looking foward to spending some time here.
honda service manual..it covers 86-87 trx350 fourtrax 4x4, and 87-89 trx350d foreman 4x4..this is what you need...if it's blowing out the carb..means your intake valve is staying open...you seem to be pretty smart on these..most ppl don't call the one-way bearing a sprague bearing..i'm impressed !..lol..if it won't kick start..then yeah..the one-way bearing for the kick starter ( on clutch centrifugal side ) is gone..or stuck..who knows until you tear into it...probally need's new ring's..honed..bored if it's too far out of tapper..over haul the carb..a must do thing !..check fuel pump for fuel flow..most of these go out ( advanced auto sells a low pressure pump ( 4 psi )..works perfect for the oem holder...unless you can find a oem pump..if so..take your bank account with you !..lmfao...any other questions..just ask away..i own a '89 trx350d foreman 4x4..( the one in my post pic )..completely restored from the dead !.edit..and welcome to the forums !

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
if it's blowing out the carb..means your ex valve is staying open
I think you meant to say the intake valve is staying open.

Yeah, the one-way clutch bearing is out if the kicker won't turn the engine over.

And welcome to the forums.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

Yeah, the one-way clutch bearing is out if the kicker won't turn the engine over.

just ain't my day..lmao..your correct helmut..lmao..intake is opening up on you..probally either means valve is bent..or timming chain moved on ya..more than likely a bent or broken valve...could be carbon build up too though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

just ain't my day..lmao..your correct helmut..lmao..intake is opening up on you..probally either means valve is bent..or timming chain moved on ya..more than likely a bent or broken valve...could be carbon build up too though.

I am hoping to get it going with top end work only for now. Guess it means that I need to remove the head and have a look at the valves. They must be closing because the valve clearances are good at TDC on compression stroke. Yes, I am new to this forum but not new to machines. I am going to love redoing this 350 if I can locate all the parts without going into debt.
Do you think that a flushing with MMO or seafoam might free up the on way bearing????
And thanks for the info re: the service manual: Now I can probably locate one.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

I am hoping to get it going with top end work only for now. Guess it means that I need to remove the head and have a look at the valves. They must be closing because the valve clearances are good at TDC on compression stroke. Yes, I am new to this forum but not new to machines. I am going to love redoing this 350 if I can locate all the parts without going into debt.
Do you think that a flushing with MMO or seafoam might free up the on way bearing????
And thanks for the info re: the service manual: Now I can probably locate one.
your welcome..you need to pull the head anyway..if you got low compression..it could be a bad valve..poor rings. as for the bearing..i doubt flushing it will work..once they go out..there is no comming back..it's not uncommon for them to wear..spec in these old bikes..and yes..your going to love restoring yours..i really enjoyed doing mine..i don't know how they came out with a '90 trx350.unless it was made in canada ??..they stoped making this trx350 foreman in '89..that was the last year they made them..in us anyway..not until a few years later did they come back out with the 350..the motors came out in the trx350 ranchers..this is when they came back out with them...and your really gonna love trying to locate parts for it..spec seeing how you say it's a '90.when they don't list parts for a '90..sooo..look for parts for the '89..you shouldn't have any problems then.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I will enjoy being here. Yes, it is probably really an 89, although it says 90 on the front sticker. Anyway, I now know what to look for in terms of manuals and parts.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Check your private messages, Exaviator.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello there, I got the same bike and will help with what I can. I've torn mine down and put R back together, with some custom parts taboot, but I'm no expert mind ya.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
welcome to the forums.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts