Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a 300 4x4 fourtrax for 200 bucks and to say the least it was a steal to me but to anyone else it was scrap...as soon as I figure out how I’ll post the pic the day I brought it back to my house...to say the least it fit in the bed of my truck with the tailgate closed and it’s a standard bed possibly smaller. So here what I knew about it before I bought it the motor had compression so I figured it might even run....no carb wiring or rear axle well it came but not on the fourwheeler the diff was cracked and would need to be replaced. None of that worried me because I had my fathers old 2wd at the house that my little cousin rode 1 day with my sister and never risen a fourwheeler firgured it only had one fear and blew it up and this was when I was prolly around 13 and I told dad I was gonna fix it so I put a timing chain on it because you could here that slapping in the case and thought that would fix it but it didn’t so I tore the complete motor apart into a bunch of pieces and then let it sit in my basement for 3 years and have no clue where parts went and honestly forgot about it until I saw this beast...so I bought it with intentions of making it run with my other fourtrax parts...so after 2 days of working on it after my job I was able to here this thing run...and I think that someone has rebuilt this thing because it’s like a brand ass new one...not having cv axles at time I took the cvs I had and cut them so I could see how it ran and shifted which honestly surprised me...as of now I have everything fixed and ready if I had cv axles to go in but they with have to wait til spring time before I get it mess with them. Tonight my goal is to remount my diff the filler cap had gotten sized to the case so with a little help from a chisel it came off like a dream and I have one for the old broken rear end to put in its place. The main reason I wanted to do a write up or whatever on this is because I wanted y’all a help on some modification and any of your ideas to make this thing better and assistants on how I can now what year it is I think it’s somewhere between an 88-91 because the exhaust system and the way you mount the Front rack on which I don’t have off that fourwheel but I do have the 2wd 92 rack that I hope I can mate to it. Right now my biggest problem is my front diff the lower mounting ear on the front the is casted on to it I’m guessing has broken off and the welded bracket to the frame has also came off it so I’ll weld the braketback on and make someway to hold the diff from a bolt hole in the side of the case I’m guessing I’ll just have to see about that one

So here’s my upgrades I wanna do if I can:
1. The first thing I wanna do is the 424 2x4 conversion...not 100% sure if they even make it for my year or not any help on that would be great

2. I’m thinking a 2 inch lift from a shock if I can do that I just wanna be able to run like 26-27 inch tires not going be a mud rider just a hunting atv but me and my father are pretty tall folks so I’m going to see about lowering the foot pegs a little and raising the body a little if anyone has any input on how to pull that off please help I haven’t put thought into doing it yet so I’m open to ideas....I’ll prolly catch crap for saying that but hey someone’s gotta.

thanks for viewing and happy New Years to you!

that’s the fourwheeler I bought.
99D6C92B-54FF-418E-83CA-1735FF5FFE82.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Happy New Year and welcome!

wow that’s an ambitious project ya got there. it’s missing a lot! CDI, alarm unit, tank, fenders, you say the rear axle is missing. I see a carb and the plug is in the engine so that’s good. that for me would be the place to start.

The first 10 digits of the VIN will tell you year and model. You also need to ensure that the engine SN matches the model year. Look for a stamping on the left side of the carb near the fuel inlet to see the model number. VE...

download the service manual and parts links in my signature block below

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Happy New Year and welcome!

wow that’s an ambitious project ya got there. it’s missing a lot! CDI, alarm unit, tank, fenders, you say the rear axle is missing. I see a carb and the plug is in the engine so that’s good. that for me would be the place to start.

The first 10 digits of the VIN will tell you year and model. You also need to ensure that the engine SN matches the model year. Look for a stamping on the left side of the carb near the fuel inlet to see the model number. VE...

download the service manual and parts links in my signature block below
The digits are 90 so I’m guessing that means it’s a 90 but as far as the motor I’m unsure but although These beast is running now Surprisingly all my parts off my 92 2wd mates up great so that worked out perfectly and it runs like a brand new one for now at least I’ve got to replace the cv axles and all the bearing in the front but after that it would be ready to roll after I flush all my fluids and check the new oil for any kind of metal savings or anything but it doesn’t smoke or knock so im going to run it til it breaks then fix it I have the top end rebuild kit for it and a bunch of parts from my 2wd motor so I should be able to repair about anything that could go wrong on it if it wasn’t for the hoilodays and gaveling to go back to school I could have this thing fully restored in just a few weeks and have under thousand bucks in the whole thing right now I’m stumped on the front brakes since the guy before me figured it would be a grand idea to delete all the brakes and remove all the hoses...condering the disc conversion but we will see how it goes had to remount my front diff last night and am currently fabing a new mount for the front since the braket casted into broke off but no big deal there i should have that fixed by tonight...if I had ordered the bearings and cvs before now it would be ready to roll today probably but I didn’t ever get the chance and being that it’s staying home while I go back to school it won’t be touched til March more than likely...but it looks rough but it runs pretty good so I’m happy with it and don’t mind spending a few extra buck to get it back to almost new looking...this is by far the biggest project I have ever attempted but it’s all going great so far

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I’m calling it a day for today I made my bracket to hold my diff and started on removing all the broken bolts in this thing...it’s like the guy that had it before never heard of penetrating oil. But here’s some pictures of the bracket that I made today I might go it the market for this if it’s a real issue but I’ve never heard of it happening to any other fourtrax. Also going to include the vin on it if someone can help me figure out just how to tell the year of
28C60258-3D64-4B3E-9CE1-55045243D13E.jpeg
63407378-007F-4D73-AFDD-FA322F068F4F.jpeg
F56E33A6-9BF8-4E3F-9C71-C0E676DD999C.jpeg
69E51144-A364-413F-B6F4-D09D286A43FC.jpeg
D424DF8B-3366-4477-882D-D48058DE329B.jpeg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts