Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for the ad.. I came across this forum while looking for help to a jetting question and the information I found was awesome. The post I read and re read helped a lot with understanding the principles and problems that can be caused with each jet (sorry I cant remember who posted it to give credit)

Now comes the help part of my post...... My wife has a 2001 Honda 400EX after sitting for 3 years I went through it all service, carb clean ect. It ran great for the first bit. Now while driving down the road as soon as I pull the clutch to shift gears the bike dies????????? While on the trail the clutch lever seemed to have a lot of slack in it so I adjusted it on the handle this is when I started to notice the problem. Could some one point me in the right direction

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
welcome to the forums. i'm not much help on sport atvs ?, but we got some great members here that know them inside and out !. give it time, and they will be along shortly to answer your questions. I will say this, from what your saying ^^, it sounds as if this is a wire issue ?, pretty sure the clutch lever has a wire to it for starting it gear, correct ?, it may have something to do with it dyeing ?.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Man this one is extremely odd. The switch on the clutch lever is only for starting the quad in gear. And can honestly be by-passed as most everyone with a 400ex has an aftermarket clutch perch and lever. And its just a 2 wire switch that if you leave them seperate it makes it only start in neutral period or if you tie them togeather it will start with clutch out which can be very dangerous. My first though is either someone has been doing some creative wiring. Or it is somehow back feeding the kill switch. Weather the coating has wore off the wires in the loom going up to your left handlebar or someone connected wires wrong. Very interested to get to the bottom of this one for sure! Welcome to the forums!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts