Honda ATV Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
jeez guys.... all these painful horror stories.. I think i'll go sell my bikes and just watch youtube videos...man..you guys are scaring me !!

I am a very conservative rider..sometimes a bit of acceleration thrill.... i guess one of the reasons I still prefer the old 300...only so much motor there, and lower to the ground.

I think well over half the time it comes out of the garage is to help me do chores..in fact the chain saw seems to be living on the back rack and the crate full of tools on the front these days.. even if I want to scoot, I never seem to get out of 3rd gear before I run either too fast or out of space...

if it's any comfort... I'm sure, even with all your wreck scars, you're still purtier than me (grin)

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Yeah I meant Darwin in the sense of natural selection. Motorcycle driver was driving like he had a death wish and he got his wish. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Hopefully the witnesses will be sufficient to not only clear your neighbor, but have the dead guy's insurance make him whole on his vehicle.

I don't have much use for people who use public roads as their personal race tracks, and sport bike riders seem to be the worst offenders. Don't put other people's lives at risk to get your jollies. If you want to do it, by all means do it, but do it on a track or deserted road, not in traffic.

I guess my tolerance for such things went to nil when I had kids. If someone hit me driving like that with my kids in the car if the wreck didn't finish them off I would.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
well folks, I hate to say it like this, but accidents happen, being young and or dumb and doing dumb things, is something I bet were ALL guilty of, I am sure we all don't drive EVERY speed limit every where!
I am also know, going slow doesn't mean SAFE
I have seen enough head on collisions OFFROAD< where a guy was driving slow and rolled an atv, or came around a corner and meet head on with a guy coming the other way
I have seen more BAD accidents that I care to recall
but seen a few broken backs when folks were creeping up a small hill and rolled backwards and atv landed on them,

I am sure folks that buy ANYTHING that goes fast are guilty of driving them FAST at times, its the nature of the beast
you DON"T own something that goes 200 MPH and only drive the speed limit every where, NOR do you ONLY speed on a race track, its just not how it works out in the real world.

wrong will always be wrong, and there will always be risks when you do wrong, the price YOUR willing to pay sadly is often NOT the same price others end up paying by our actions.
NO one does most things they know are WRONG< expecting things to go BAD, and more often than not they NEVER go BAD<
its maybe why we all take risks we do when we do, were playing the odds!

I also think MOST of us as we age and have more to loose, start to think more of what we do and of others, but NOT all do!

the saying young and dumb, is a part of life, some grow up faster, some never grow up and stay on the dumb side, or just ignorant side !
I personally think its the worst of times now, with so many who ONLY think of themselves, this entitlement thought process so many have today!
were all in for worse drivers on our roads if you ask me than better
making SMART cars I think is nothing but a band-aide that is going to make worse drivers!
drivers now don't pay attention enough, have cars fdo more thinking and drivers will do less!

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Best one I've heard in a while! & let me be the first one to say, I've won some serious stupid prizes over the years!

This kid on the bike & statements remind me of my bike accident I had back in 2015. I was in the the Trauma Unit for 2 weeks.

Long story really short... My buddy hit me from behind... I was gong roughly 30mph, him more like 80mph.

Witness told the cops that prior to this accident we were passing them so fast that it was like they were in reverse! They didn't lie... 120mph in a 50mph is pretty darn fast on a 2 lane highway... I got lucky & lived, I also learned & gave up rockets, due to the fact I can accept I have no self control on 2 wheels.

I'm sure the guy won't be charged, but will have to live with the bad memories.

Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes is the TRUTH!!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Since I lasted posted the motorcycle accident here in Lacombe , there were 2 more separate vehicle fatalities in a 3 miles section of highway , people are driving like they are crazy , this one guy they say was driving 45 mph on a flat tire with sparks flying , he drifted off the black top and got caught up in the rocks of the shoulder , lost control , flipped the truck into a ditch , wasn't wear a seat belt and died

..... since I posted about the motor cycle wreck , we found out that the GSXR 1100 has a top speed , right off the show room floor with no mods of 185mph , Trooper told the store clerk the skid mark was 150 ft plus , the impact they figure was around 120mph ------------- so the bike may have been doing around the 185mph top speed in a 55mph speed zone , the tire and rim of the truck he hit is smashed against the engine block , was told one of the guys ( appendictures ) spell check me on that one , which I think is either an arm or leg , was disconnected from his body and his insides was all outside , 150 ft skid mark with a 5 ft diameter blood ring at the end , a horrid accident

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
This is a pic of the 3rd fatality wreck I was mentioning , I can't even tell what kind of car it is--------- neither passengers were wearing seat belts , the 19yr old driver was ejected and lived , a 15yr was pined in the car and died ----they were passing a car on the 2 lane highway and had to swerve back over into the right lane as a car was coming the other way , lost control , went into the trees and ditch , took massive chucks out of two very large trees

Attachments

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
welll..on a whim I guess... I stopped by the local cycle shop yesterday and bought my first ever full head/face helmit..moderately priced ($155 on sale) HJC..their new dual sport.

when I'm on my property, I'm mostly just using the bikes for work and only hit the throttle for a short burst on open ground...quick thrill..never really getting even into the 3rd gear range......I take it slow on the trails in the woods so that I don't meet a tree face to face...and my "road bike" has a top speed of just under 50mph with a tail wind...so a bubble head helmet has long been my standard for pavement, or the occassion when I'm at an ATV park that requires headgear for their trails.

but I guess this thread had been churning aroud in the back of my brain, and talking with other riders I've met who are sporting broken collar bones etc...yeah.. I keep it slower and safer...and figured I'd give a try with the full can on my noggin...that, and the wife is always fussing about a helmet...cooler weather is coming soon enuff...so it won't be a sauna ride and there have been December days when not having my eyeballs freezing in tears will be a nice change..cause this boy don't stop riding all year long.

·
Super Moderator
36,810 Posts
i'm old, how I got to be this old, and still breath on this great planet is beyond me ??!!. I have done some really stupid stuff in my years, some were great, others ?, well..lets just say I have slowed down when I am on my motorcycles or atvs !. the bad wreck that put me in icc for 2 weeks back in '08 was the straw that broke the camels back, I no longer require the need for speed when it comes to 2-wheels or atvs, not to mention, having a buzz when on them !..lol. if your gonna dance to the music ?..YOU WILL PAY THE PIPER !..LOL.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I had two major accidents on bikes , one on the street and one in the dirt , had a Bell helmet on for the street wreck and it saved my life no doubt , didn't have one on in the dirt and it sure would have saved me a lot of pain ----but , I don't even own a motorcycle helmet now days , I have a bicycle helmet but it is for the Go Pro mount that I never use

·
Registered
8 Posts
Safety First! Always! I like having fun as much as the next guy, but this teens had a lot of fun and laughs until they didn't. I don't know the whole story, but somewhere along the line someone had to have thought that they oughtta slow it down, take it easier, or get off. Prayers go out to the family!

81 - 91 of 91 Posts