Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Terra 3500 Superwinch. I need a new cable but want to replace it with synthetic rope. Does anyone know where to order it from? I've looked on amazon and have found several different ropes. I'm just not sure if its the correct rope for this winch. Anyone have this winch that has done this before?

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Terra 3500 uses 3/16 X 50’ synthetic rope. The end is inserted into a hole in the drum and pulled through a few inches and taped on the drum. I like the CWC brand—- SuperMax® Winch Line - 3/16" x 50' Orange 353498 , this line has the steel eye on the hook end. Amsteel also makes a good syn rope.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
`I would shy away from e-bay or amazon on synthetic winch rope , unless the name brand of the rope is listed , there is some junk out there , and the stuff that Harbor Freight sells was junk for me , I popped that stuff numerous times --- Spectrum is a good brand ---- I quit using it and went back to wire , found the rope gets wedged in between wraps and can be a bitch to get out , the wire does also , but not as bad

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
also keep in mind if your switching over to SYN line from wire, many times you cannot do so, all comes down to the spool on the winch some will NOT handle the extra squeeze the syn line adds to things, and then you will also have to change over to either a hause or some brand new rollers and with rollers you have to be extra careful as, if things drift into a corner and get off roller when winching it can BREAK the winch like or damage things in other ways!
so its NOT Just as easy as buying new syn line and sticking it on the winch spool!
so check first and make sure the model can Handle the syn line, and then your new roller/hause is needed!

and if you CAN use the old spool, make sure there are no burr's on it at all, or they can again damage the line!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have Terra 3500 Superwinch. I need a new cable but want to replace it with synthetic rope.
Why replace the relatively cheap/available wire that's compatible with the Terra 3500 with synthetic rope ?
The fairlead will have to be replaced with a hawse, and the drum wasn't designed for synthetic rope . . . .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My winch can use a synthetic rope with the current drum thats in it. Does anyone have a terra 35 superwinch and know the correct cable size that came on it? I've done some more reserch and am thinking I may go back with the cable. Mine is kinked and freyed in spots. Would the cable size be the same as the rope as stated above? 3/16" x 50'? Superwinch is out of business and just typing in the part # I have on my paperwork that came with my winch isn't working.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
My winch can use a synthetic rope with the current drum thats in it. Does anyone have a terra 35 superwinch and know the correct cable size that came on it? I've done some more reserch and am thinking I may go back with the cable. Mine is kinked and freyed in spots. Would the cable size be the same as the rope as stated above? 3/16" x 50'? Superwinch is out of business and just typing in the part # I have on my paperwork that came with my winch isn't working.
As already stated, 3/16" or 1/4" (I always use 1/4"). If your going from wire rope to synthetic you NEED to sand/smooth/linish the drum and fairlead/hawse. Any sharp edges will scrap a synthetic rope in seconds, literally!

Superwinch IS NOT out of business, FACT!! Search UK websites ;-)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Does anyone have a Terra 35 Superwinch and know the correct cable size that came on it? I've done some more research and am thinking I may go back with the cable. Mine is kinked and frayed in spots.
If the cable is frayed/kinked close to the hook, cut that portion off, un-spool the rest of the cable, up-end the cable, and re-spool . . . .we did this all the time on the many winches used in our logging operations. Get longer life from the cable. It's just a little shorter . . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Macarena Man
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing