Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2016 rancher.
We were riding last weekend and the temp light came on periodically.
Washed the rad out, it was not really that bad.
We went again this weekend, temp light came on after 15 minutes. Let it cool down, we rode around some more, came back on. Cooled off for a few minutes, went to the wash house and rinsed out rad again, it was not caked or anything, looked fine. I checked the overflow tank, empty. So we hung out for a few, went and got the antifreeze out of the truck, put some in the overflow. Turned it back on, to see what was up. Temp light came back on, then went off.
So we rode around, it came back on one more time, we rode back to the truck, loaded up and came home.
Washing them off I popped the rad cap...holy crap, I could not see any antifreeze.
So, I filled it up, and let it idle for a few, put the cap back on, and told my sone to sit there and watch the temp for like 20 minutes, at idle and short throttle blips once in awhile. It never got past the 2 "bars" on temp. Seems to be working fine now. Except...It was still bugging me, so I started it up and let it idle for a few, then I gave it a little continuos throttle for a few, let off and do it again, temps stayed at 2 "bars". BUT, steam was coming out, from I believe the rad cap.
Now this thing is still under warranty, probably take it in this week.
I'm a little worried. I did check the oil, pulled some out with a straw on a white paper plate to see if it looked normal. I guess it did, no funny colors or milk.
Any ideas? I'm just curious. thx
***also, fan was working fine.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
OK< was the level of coolant every checked while COLD before this?
if its rather NEW< and was never checked, it veryu well could have never been filled from the dealer when you got it?

NEXT, are you adding PURE coolant, or mixed coolant 50/50 ??
as if your running PURE coolant, that is NOT correct, and it won;t work right

NEXT, when you washed the rad out, are you washing BOTH sides out, seen many a guys wash one side and NOT the other and that can cause a LOT of added heat to build up!
if you mud ride a lot , this is a fairly common issue!

after riding it till it gets HOT, and you park it, are you finding any coolant under the bike?
any visual leaks??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm running 50/50
I "try" to wash both sides out, the rear side, do the best I can.
I could not tell if there was any leaks, we had some rain last night so the trails were wet all day, so was the machine.
I did look for any leaks once I got home in the driveway when I let it run for awhile. I did not see anything, just some residual water from washing the bike and moving it to the driveway.
I mopped it up, and looked again on the driveway and on the bike. Nothing I could see.
I did NOT check the radiator before, so I don't know the level it was at. Yes it's pretty new, got it in August. Just seems weird happened last week and this week. He did get in some mud last week, and did not tell me the temp light came on last week until today, just said let's wash out the radiator. but I do wash the machines pretty good after every ride.
Who knows, I know my new rubicon ended up low on the overflow after about 2 months after new. I will go and check that radiator right now.
Any ideas on why the steam from the cap?

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
when they first fill a machine with coolant its possible to get air trapped in the system some place and as time goes by that air gets out and you then end up LOW on coolant

if you were LOW on coolant, you could have heated the coolant up SO hot it was boiling and making steam, and that will get past a cap some what!

or could it have been water on rad and as it got up to temp it was just drying and making steam???

you should get in the habit of checking ALL fluids before riding, as not doing so can make a small problem into a HUGE repair, my not taking the few minutes to check things??
never take for granted NEW means GOOD< and as time passes, you again NEED to check every so often!

just good habit to get into, will save you over the yrs by checking things, never can check TOO often, only NOT often enough!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when they first fill a machine with coolant its possible to get air trapped in the system some place and as time goes by that air gets out and you then end up LOW on coolant

if you were LOW on coolant, you could have heated the coolant up SO hot it was boiling and making steam, and that will get past a cap some what!

or could it have been water on rad and as it got up to temp it was just drying and making steam???

you should get in the habit of checking ALL fluids before riding, as not doing so can make a small problem into a HUGE repair, my not taking the few minutes to check things??
never take for granted NEW means GOOD< and as time passes, you again NEED to check every so often!

just good habit to get into, will save you over the yrs by checking things, never can check TOO often, only NOT often enough!
could have been the rad letting off steam/trapped water from washdown.
You are right, checking before ride...I know, I know.
Drop it off this week, and hope no damage. It was running fine. But, you know kids, he might have rode around for 20 minutes with the light on before he said something today. WHo knows. We'll see what the dealer finds. Hope it's ok.
thx

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
On new units, the dealer should give you a check/inspected list of all items. I suspect the unit wasn't prepped looked at carefully and likely after topping the fluids off you will have no more issues. It will be interesting to see what they say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.