Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
420 Rancher surges on takeoff. However, if you shift to neutral and back to first, it runs perfectly. Happens, and fixes the problem 100 % without fail. That would seem to be something electronic getting reset. Was surprised to not see this in any of the "surging" threads i read.
Anyone know what causes this. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Year and model please? If you have an EFI motor its possible that you have a sensor issue. Likely a dirty/wet plug... you might find a copy of the service manual HERE.

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK. It'll be the brake lever not sitting back onto the brake light switch. It could be the pivot bolt sticking. Try pushing the brake lever forwards when you start it to see if that's the cause.

Have not tried this yet but certainly sounds like it could be the issue. My bike has been doing it for a while and now that I think about it, I have trouble with the brake lever getting stuck. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
83 Posts
That was it. Can you explain to me how that switch causes the surging? Because I never would have thought of that being the issue. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.
When starting in gear the engine won't rev up for safety so if you start it with full throttle it doesn't just take off on you. When the brake is released it signals the ecu to say you are setting off, meaning you're in control. Naturally you wouldn't let go of the brake if you were panicking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts