Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to ask has anyone used any of that super coolant stuff like Lucas super coolant or water wetter.. I bought a bottle of that stuff to maybe run in my Polaris atv and my ski doo f3 snowmobile.. I don't want to dump anything in that might screw them up either.. They say its safe but you never know..

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I have used it my YZ250 two stroke dirt bike. Extreme hard use would benefit...not recommended otherwise. The product reduces the "surface tension" of water which makes the heat transfer of the radiator more efficient.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I have known a bunch of folks that use it and LOVE it
BUT they don't use it in SLEDS
I actually think its NOT made for cold, like REALLY cold weather use
so look into that befolre sticking it in a sled
so summer use in the Big bore atv\s its been a BIG difference on HOW hot they get when you drive them slow
My friends 800polaris would get so hot it would shut down
he switched to purple Ice coolant and it wouldn't over heat no more doing same riding
he drives at about 5-7 mph every where, NO idea why he bought a 800 LOL
thin the salesman sold him on NEEDING a big atv? and well, he has more money than brains, so , thats what he got ??

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I think water wetter is fine in sleds, I wouldn't run engine ice in one, I think it's only rated for -35C and unfortunately we get temps in the -40 to -45 range at times, and -30 to -35 quite often. Of course I don't start having issues until about April when the temps are around 5-10 above freezing, not a fun time for liquid cooled sleds.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the Lucas stuff just for the heck of it, the store didn't have the water wetter, but haven't heard to much about it.. A lot of people like the water wetter and good reviews but not to many reviews on the Lucas.. They have to be the same stuff I would imagine..

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Lucas makes good things, so I gather its the same like type deal, and shoudl work well in summer time heat and hard use
as thats where this stuff works best

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I've been using the water wetter in my water cooled Porsche for 20 years or so and recommend it highly. It's in both my guads with rads.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
if you don't have issue's with running HOT; I wouldn't use it, as its NOT needed.
many folks have issue's with running hot, due to running in mud, larger tires working a motor harder, or, jusr BIG motors with poor cooling systems, that make em run super hot if driven slow, NOT getting enough air flow to help cool.
that's where this stuff works best IMO

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Mac: Thanks so much for the information. I appreciate it. I do work my Rincon hard at times, and I know that it would be happier if IT didn't have to work so hard to keep itself at the correct operating temps. I'll probably give the Engine Ice a try. Our winters (even in the mountains) don't get below -35C, so I should be okay. :) Thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts