Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question (I hope). I have a 2008 rancher es. A couple days ago I changed the oil and filter. I backed the wheeler to the shed, and while I was stationary, I went though all the gears, up then down just to get the oil worked in. I put the wheeler in reverse and backed up the ramp, got stuck in the snow, pulled forward, and backed up again. When I got in the shed, it would not shift out of reverse. I tried the electric shifter a couple time and I could hear it working but then it stopped clicking. It made a faint noise but not like the regular shifting click. I then attempted to shift it manually, I can feel it activating when I turn it clockwise but is stuck going counter clockwise. Also it did not change gears, still stuck in reverse. Any Ideas? Thanks much.

·
Super Moderator
36,643 Posts
I would pull the cover off the transfer gears up in front of the front cover, have a look at the transfer gears as well as all the parts right there.

·
Super Moderator
36,643 Posts
Do you mean behind the motor asst control and reduction hear cover?
yes, same place where your shift motor is at the front of the engine. DO NOT PULL THE ELECTRIC SHIFT MOTOR ITSELF APART !!.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I pulled the shifter off and 1/2 the geared shaft is stripped, guess that would do it. And come to find out out it's as an aftermarket part. I just ordered oem gear reduction shaft ,shift reduction gear and the new shift motor, should do the trick. thanks again

·
Registered
61 Posts
It was probably made in North Korea. They design all their parts to prematurely fail. American steel is made out of iron and carbon, North Korean steel is made out of Chinesium.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah we have all fallen down that rabbit hole. I usually go through partzilla or caliber parts

·
Super Moderator
36,643 Posts
Oh yeah we have all fallen down that rabbit hole. I usually go through partzilla or caliber parts
in my 28 years, i've learned to spot china junk !. be warned !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, partzilla is selling parts in honda bags, but once you look on the back of the package ?..IT CLEARLY SAYS MADE IN CHINA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts