Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The threaded bolt hole that goes into the brake drum on this 94 trxd type2 was a bit boogered up when I purchased it. (Meaning I couldn't properly torque down the bolt that holds the chain adjuster)

I recently got around to trying to fix it up, and took the axle holder to a shop to see if they could run a helicoil down into this hole. He said he couldn't get enough clearance to drill out the hole and opted to run a thread chaser down into the hole. Fine, I said. I'll give it a try.

I have things all together, and foolishly, I waited until now to torque it down. And of course, the threads. Didn't. Hold. So now, I have to disassemble it again. Good thing I didn't use red loctite on the axle nuts.

Is there anyone familiar with this model that can tell me the best option to fix this hole? Is a helicoil strong enough to confidently hold 65ft-lb torque? Is there enough clearance to get one in there? It's a 17 mm head.
Or, alternatively, do I take a dremel cut off bit and remove the blind end of the bolt hole on the inside of the drum, run a bolt through, and have a rubber gasket on the outside of the bolt to keep water from getting into the drum.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
if you have enough room to use a short bolt and nut ?, then go that route. if my memory is half as good as it used to be ?..lol. isn't that bolt nut welded to the frame ?.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The brake drum/axle holder has a blind hole that this bolt inserts. I was thinking I could either buy a time-sert repair ($$) or just open the end of the bolt hole and pass a nut/bolt combination.

This does open into the brake shoe space. I didn't know for sure if this needs to remain a blind bolt hole for keeping water out? Again, I was thinking a rubber gasket around the outside to keep water from getting in?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
The brake drum/axle holder has a blind hole that this bolt inserts. I was thinking I could either buy a time-sert repair ($$) or just open the end of the bolt hole and pass a nut/bolt combination.

This does open into the brake shoe space. I didn't know for sure if this needs to remain a blind bolt hole for keeping water out? Again, I was thinking a rubber gasket around the outside to keep water from getting in?
I think your on the right track, go the bolt and a rubber gasket of something ?, and you will be ok. maybe even a o-ring under the bolt or nut on the brake side ?, worth a shot. I don't ride in water ( not unless I have too ?..lol ), but if your on dry land ?, don't worry about water getting in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts