Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been putting streetbike engines in buggies and quads for a few years now.Anyone else out there actually doing it and not dreaming about it?The engine of choice for a few reasons is the gsxr.Don't hate,I BLEED HONDA RED!I know this from the stain I leave when I crash these monsters!The honda engine is the next best choice.I got sick of the rediculous price of hot rodding 4 stroke quad engines,and the short,unreliable life they have.The 750 gsxr from 99 to the present makes 130 hp stock!With a few mods it goes to 150hp easily.I buy them with 2-4k on the odometer,complete with harness,radiator,guage cluster,and fuel pump for around 1,200.00.The 750 is the best choice because it's the cheapest.1000's and busas are double and triple that #.The only little thing I learned the hard way is that you need the ignition switch because it sends a radio signal to the ecu.It's part of the theft deterrent system.I had to buy one from suzuki and it came with all the locks(gas tank etc.) and costed over 200.00.My next conversion is a 500gs with turbo.I want this power on a more nimble weight.This is what you'll see on factory quads in the coming years and now on the highlander.:funnycanam::funnykawie:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sold the 2 quads that I built but,I am right at the end of a 500 lb. buggy build with a gsxr motor.I will take pics of all my crazy toys this weekend.I just joined and never had anyone worth showing my collection to.I have several I would like to sell including a fl250 oddy with a 540 sled motor.Thanks for asking,I can't wait to post pics.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
I haven't doen it but I have seen several at Busco, they are sick fast but that's all not very trail friendly IMO the oddesey would be a different story though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are actually very trail friendly.They also get great fuel economy,The 750 motor ran twice as long as my modified 400ex motor on the same amont of fuel.They are not however,jump friendly.They handle like a tank in the air.You can leave it in 3rd gear and use it like an auto as long as you are going at least 5 mph.This leads me to my final progression,a 500 twin with a small turbo in a 400ex frame.It will weigh about 35 lbs. more than the stock quad and make in the 100-120 hp range.I will stay away from all the bolt on garbage(skid plates etc.)and basically weigh the same as most 450's.What sucks is now I am hooked on these power monsters.I have a 340 esr 250r that feels like a kids quad to me now.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
You won't see Honda doing anything like that. That much power is just dumb, really other than going in a straight line, where will you open that up? Pointless power for a trail/track rider.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's definetly dumb when you are behind it!A company called highlander is producing a 2 cylinder 4 stroke quad that is making 100 hp to the rear wheels!I just don't want to pay 15,000.00 to ride along side it.The new banshee will be a 2 cylinder 4 stroke,making 80 hp stock.You had better get with the program!The manufacturers aren't selling as much new stuff because of the recession and they need the next big thing to date all the older quads.that thing is massive,reliable out of the box power.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
I sold the 2 quads that I built but,I am right at the end of a 500 lb. buggy build with a gsxr motor.I will take pics of all my crazy toys this weekend.I just joined and never had anyone worth showing my collection to.I have several I would like to sell including a fl250 oddy with a 540 sled motor.Thanks for asking,I can't wait to post pics.
Can't wait for the Pics!!!!!!!!!!!!:wub:pictures

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I can only imagine what that would be like. I have a gixxer 750 and always wonder what it would feel like hammerin a 4 cylinder quad.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just curious! How fast on the topside are they??
From what I can figure,i have hit in the 115 mph range with paddles and dual ribs.The paddles get real weird at the 3 digit mark.I haven't ran it at the track,it's not my thing.I used the tried and true 4wd truck tire formula using the diameter difference between a quad and streetbike tire.With the quad tire the speedo read something like148 mph.I really need to get a radar gun.I have a friend who rides with a few cops and he is going to get them to bring a radar gun.Anyone know where to get one cheap?Thought about using the hot wheels one.I wrecked in a buggy at around 80 mph,just hitting the sweet spot in 3rd.I just rebuilt it and I am now studying aeronautical sciences to figure out a front and rear wing system for the buggy.All this started from some yankee ahole who thought his ds660 w/an air cooled 93 750 was king of the pit.For the first time,that cobbled together pos had a race on his hands.If your out there,bring money next time!!

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
The hotwheels radar was the one I was going to suggest. My son has one. I have never used it though. It would probly be a little inaccurate aswell. After all its just a toy. THe Cop would have the best one. IMO. Its used daily and calibrated or what ever they need to do to keep them in shape. I am sur ethey are closer to accurate/

·
Registered
1 Posts
400ex with gsxr600 motor swap

I just read your forum topics an just completed my build. I love the power gains but still have other issues. I agree,its not a very trail capable bike in my area due to alot of swamps and marshy areas. Pod filters due not help at all in those conditions. Plus having to mount my coil packs on the front of the frame makes going thru any water a no no. As for the build,keep in mind that you have to ground the safety kickstand down mechenism also. I will say that possibly gearing it down a lot might help but hey,why would you want to go slower right? Thanks for the info I got from reading your forums. It helped a lot on this build.

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
I'd like to stuff a V twin into a Honda Foreman frame n get 130+ hp,but alas there is no way to make it into 4wd without cobbling up a chain drive system(which doesn't last long in mud,sand,etc. without a lot of cleaning,and maintenance,and a lack of reverse sucks...:icon_ devil:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Buy or borrow a gps to see how fast it goes. A radar gun is a little expensive and does just one thing where a gps is reasonable and does alot more. My brother in law races those drag bikes at busco sometimes. He has a 750 streetbike motor in a stretched 400ex. No it will not pass me on the trail and I ride a stock Rancher 420. On the straight run though he can really move.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts