Honda ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm sorry, that sucks that happened to you. With that many ATVs taken, I'd be tempted to bait them with another ATV at a different location, if you knew someone that would go along with that. It might be risky though you never know what could happen.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Thanks for the update. Do you know any of the other guys who lost there bikes/equipment ? Cause it Seems those idiots, might be targeting guys who are/maybe gone for extended times....and IF you can get pics and info from those unlucky guys, stick um up.

·
Premium Member
12,395 Posts
I don't know if you'll have seen the videos of the atv gangs riding the Interstate and roads of New Orleans , Mardi Gras Day they had a big ride that was planned on the internet for a while , it got wild and the State Troopers and JPSO had helicopters in the air tracking them , NOPD did nothing about it , was reading a story about 6 that were caught , all 6 atv's were stolen , they had drugs and guns and some were convicted felons with guns ---------- just saying , I don't think these gangs would be interested in your atv as all the videos I have seen every one was a sport atv

I hope it doesn't happen to you , I have told this story on another thread ----I sold a 250Ex to a guy for his daughters Christmas present and it was stolen within a week on Christmas Day from in front his house , time goes by and I get contacted by NOPD that they recovered the atv in New Orleans and it was at a Wrecker Service yard , so I called him and he goes over there and they wanted $800 at first for him to get it back and that was going up everyday $25 storage fee , there was a $175 tow fee , $25 New Orleans administration fee and the storage was running time , he tried to fight them with the help of a detective from the parish that the atv was stolen from , but that didn't work , he finally got them to make a deal for $600 cause he is a tow truck owner himself and actually knew the people who had it impounded , there was $600 of damage to the atv from them riding wheelies and dragging the rear rack and muffler on the street and cutting the ignition ---NOPD actually caught a rider on the atv when it was impounded and towed and no charges at all were brought on that person ,,,, justice at it's finest

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I could promise you one thing. If I was the sheriff of the county I live in every criminal would hate my guts. If I had something like this going on I would have roadblocks set up and checking every enclosed trailer and truck. I would set up a decoy with GPS tracking. I would do everything I could. We are talking over 100 thousand dollars worth of just atv's.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I could promise you one thing. If I was the sheriff of the county I live in every criminal would hate my guts. If I had something like this going on I would have roadblocks set up and checking every enclosed trailer and truck. I would set up a decoy with GPS tracking. I would do everything I could. We are talking over 100 thousand dollars worth of just atv's.
Okay, what if you participate/help the local police get this solved? That is, could you approach the dealer which you purchased the unit from be willing to offer a ATV (used or new) as a decoy and if so, I suspect the police might get interested. I'm sure the dealer will want some assurances on getting the ATV back and there are "specific" insurance groups to cover such events. Even if you had to buy the GPS tracker (they are less than $100), this may be worth a try...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Okay, what if you participate/help the local police get this solved? That is, could you approach the dealer which you purchased the unit from be willing to offer a ATV (used or new) as a decoy and if so, I suspect the police might get interested. I'm sure the dealer will want some assurances on getting the ATV back and there are "specific" insurance groups to cover such events. Even if you had to buy the GPS tracker (they are less than $100), this may be worth a try...
The theory is good, but I guarantee there isn't an insurance company (or police force for that matter), who would be willing to take on such a task.

Insurance doesn't care if things are stolen, they just up your premium and call it a day haha.

And I can't imagine the Police are willing to set aside that much resource for a couple of ATV's.

Might be something you'd have to do yourself with a couple of camera's and a bait ATV.

I'd try just for the satisfaction of getting those dirt bags the justice they deserve!

·
Premium Member
12,395 Posts
I'm no lawyer , but to get involved with the investigation could jeopardize any conviction , if it ever came to that , I am sure every state is different ---------take this for instance, I know over here if you took video of your wife having sex with someone and went to court with the video to file for divorce , the video is inadmissible if it is presented as being taken by you , it has to be taken by a licensed private investigator ------

here is another story of theft in Mississippi which in the end involved cameras and a conviction , my buddy has a weekend place in Tyler Town , in the last two years he was robbed 7 times and I mean real good every time , 4 wheels , zero turns , tools , refrigerator , stove , washer and dryer , some of these items were stolen multiple times , pulled all the electric wires from the under ground pipes , cutting them at the boxes that serviced the house and garage , stripped all the wire in the garage which was open walled , by cutting the wire on both sides the staples and taking out the piece in between , all the food , even open jars of mayo , ketchup , mustard , food out the freezer and pantry , cooking ware , tv's , everything , numerous times , he put up iron entry door and window bars , they cut a hole thru the kitchen wall to outside with a saws-all and took the fridge out of it , he put up hidden cameras and has a video of a guy breaking in , turning on the tv ,cooking some food and eating at the table , then start loading up stuff and then took the tv off the wall , that guy was caught with that video as evidence , and spent 1 month in jail and has to pay $60 a month restitution for a few years , but just for a few things that were stolen on that particular trip , they couldn't prove the other 6 times on him

moral of the story , if they do catch the guy that stole your atv , chances are real good , they are not going to do him enough to make it right financial , maybe somethings wrong with the judicial system , cause it sure seems the criminals have the upper hand these days

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Like I said, we need to go back to hanging thieves.
Maybe not that far but at least throw them in prison and make them pay. I have seen so many walk away free.

My dads truck was stolen a couple years ago. Some mexicans were using it for there lawn care company. They caught them and we got the trailer and all there lawn mowers.

I hope they catch the guys who stole your quad and trailer. I would suggest a ball lock for your trailer so they can't take it. Best of luck

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
If you can't afford a new atv, do you have any friends that would let you borrow there's and they take your truck?

I'd leave it same spot, and be home waitimg for them, with a couple buddys like Smith & Wesson!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thanks for all the comments guys. Man I know where Tylertown is and it's not the best place...lol. trust me. Like I said I'm a combat vet. I carry my M-4 in my truck and 2 pistols with me at all times. Latest report. They have caught 2 individuals today with 2 stolen atv's. No word as of yet if one is mine or not. But they said could lead to more arrest. Maybe they are on the right trail. But please keep your eyes and ears open. If not I will be doing a little baiting.. Thanks again...

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Maybe not that far but at least throw them in prison and make them pay. I have seen so many walk away free.
If we started hanging them there would be incentive for them to NOT steal.

Don't want to risk death? Don't steal from others.

It's all about motivation. We have gone soft on crime so there are more criminals.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If we started hanging them there would be incentive for them to NOT steal.

Don't want to risk death? Don't steal from others.

It's all about motivation. We have gone soft on crime so there are more criminals.
You make a very good point. I didn't think of it that way.

·
Premium Member
12,395 Posts
In the old days here in New Orleans from what I have read , when ever there was a hanging it was on a Sunday in the Square which is now called Jackson Square , but they want the name of the square changed now days , any ways it was a event which everyone attended , kind of like a picnic , just as mentioned by Jeep it was to let people know what happened to you when you strayed from the law ------ such as stealing a man's horse , which stealing someone atv seems like the same thing to me and deserving of a hanging , they yell we need laws against guns to protect the innocent , criminals don't abide by laws , that is why they are criminals , if law abiding citizens have their guns taken away then the only ones with guns will be the criminals , then what kind of havoc will go on

41 - 60 of 144 Posts