Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2003 Honda Foreman TRX450fe and am having starting issues. My bike has been sitting for roughly 6 months and will not start. The bike turns over but wont stay running. Below are the things i already did to see if i could fix it.

new
battery, spark plug, oil and oil filter, gas and treatment

made sure the following was on correctly.

choke pulled all the way out
fuel to gas on
kill switch in correct position

was able to get it to start for a couple seconds after spraying starter fluid into the carb but it dies quickly after

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Did it run good right before you stored it for six months ? Did you add fuel treatment at that time ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it did run ok before it sat. i didnt add fuel treatment before it sat but the tank for the most part was empty. i did add fuel treatment and new gas when starting again. thanks

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You probably need to do a carb rebuild. or just go through the carb and make sure everything is clean, like the needle and seat. Also you said that it started when you use starter fluid, so that means that you could also have a bad fuel line not letting fuel through. Good luck! Welcome to the Forums!
Cameron

Reactions: misterclean59

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I agree, always use a fuel treatment and try and always keep. The tank topped off, you shouldn't have anymore problem after she's fixed :)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I agree, always use a fuel treatment and try and always keep. The tank topped off, you shouldn't have anymore problem after she's fixed :)
Well no crap it's going to be fine once it's fixed. Do you have any advice? lol?
Just saying "Yeah you shouldn't have a problem after she's fixed." That doesn't help this guy at all. He needs help trying to get his quad to start. Not a smart A$$
Not trying to argue; but people that say stuff like this make me angry. If you have helpful advice say it. If not don't say anything. Sorry for the rant.
Cameron

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I think what he meant is the advice given above will fix his problem. And they gave him advice to stop the problem from happening again. Seems pretty straight forward. He is correct that as long as he follows the advice he will be good to go and not have anymore problems.

I didnt see it as a smart a$$ comment at all. But thats just me.

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Registered
366 Posts
Rich, It's the ethanol in the fuel that causes the problems in your carburetor. It attracts water and the the water causes the brass parts to corrode plugging the jets and making the float needle stick (sometimes open sometimes closed).
If your going to clean the carburetor yourself you will have to make sure all of the passages are clear by squirting carb cleaner through them and making sure it comes out somewhere. Don't scratch or make any holes larger. Keep the cleaner away from the plastic parts and any rubber parts.

Here is a parts diagram to help guide you, Honda ATV Parts 2003 TRX450FE A CARBURETOR Diagram , I hope you like puzzles!

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
your carb is dirty, needs to be torn apart ?, or a carb rebuild ?, either way, from you getting it to fire over with starting fluid ?, this tells me your carb is dirty, not letting fuel into the carb/motor ?, this is your problem :).

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Registered
223 Posts
Agree carb will probably have to come off to be cleaned but if you used treatment you might want to quickly pull the carb drain plug let some fresh gas flow thru and retry first. I am guessing that you added treatment after it was parked so the fuel in the bowl would be untreated. Idling it won't go thru much fuel, now if ya added and took it for a ride that's a different story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all.

I have since purchased a replacement carb and installed it myself. I followed everything durning the install but now I have gas spewing into the air filter housing then to the floor. What should I do?

I haven't run it thinking this could cause another issue.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Thanks all.

I have since purchased a replacement carb and installed it myself. I followed everything durning the install but now I have gas spewing into the air filter housing then to the floor. What should I do?

I haven't run it thinking this could cause another issue.
is this a ebay china knock-off carb ?, or oem from Honda ?. is the drain screw bolt tight ?.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
and why in the world would you buy a new carb ?, when the odd's of your old oem carb have nothing wrong with it blows my mind !..lol. a simple carb rebuild kit would cost you less than a new oem carb ?, that's if..you bought a oem carb ?, and not some stupid china knock-off carb ?!..lol. those china knock-off carbs are cheap for a reason...they suck !..lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it is a china knock off from amazon. The way i look at it is that i now have two. I have the OEM that i can teach myself how to repair with this kit and one to allow me to ride but unfortunately I've run into this problem now. i will have to review the drain screw to see if its tight or not. is the drain screw at the bottom of the carb?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
it is a china knock off from amazon. The way i look at it is that i now have two. I have the OEM that i can teach myself how to repair with this kit and one to allow me to ride but unfortunately I've run into this problem now. i will have to review the drain screw to see if its tight or not. is the drain screw at the bottom of the carb?
yes, drain screw is on the bottom of the carb, on the float bowl.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Rich welcome, if its not flooded I'd look in the service manual if you have one and trace down the coil and check that and the CDI. Corroded conections or low OHM readings (ohm reading just an educated guess on my part) but hey you never know those things tend to go out at weird times. Good luck brother. Or if chinese carb like you said I'd drain it or see about an OEM one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts