Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I went to start my 97' 300 Foutrax the other day and it started fine but the starter is still engaged. When i remove power from the starter motor..it stops cranking. I'm about 4hrs away from it and didn't have alot of time to toubleshot. I want to make sure i bring the correct parts.

Any thoughts?
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Please don't hit your starter with a hammer.
First, we need to find out whether your starter bendix (which engages the starter motor to the flywheel) or the starter solenoid (which switches power to the starter) is sticking..... Please tell me/us:
When you release the Starter Switch, does the starter motor stop turning? (but it is still engaged)?
If the answer is 'yes', then the bendix in your starter motor is stuck and needs to be disassembled, cleaned, and lubricated with White Lithium Grease (not WD-40)
If the answer is 'no' and the starter motor keeps turning, even after the starter button is released, then you need a new starter solenoid switch..

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Please don't hit your starter with a hammer.
First, we need to find out whether your starter bendix (which engages the starter motor to the flywheel) or the starter solenoid (which switches power to the starter) is sticking..... Please tell me/us:
When you release the Starter Switch, does the starter motor stop turning? (but it is still engaged)?
If the answer is 'yes', then the bendix in your starter motor is stuck and needs to be disassembled, cleaned, and lubricated with White Lithium Grease (not WD-40)
If the answer is 'no' and the starter motor keeps turning, even after the starter button is released, then you need a new starter solenoid switch..
they don't have a bendix like cars..they have one way bearings. the starter solenoid is sticking..plain an simple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same problem with a 1995 Fourtrax 300. But I just replaced the starter solenoid, and when I connect the battery, the starter motor engages.

So I took everything apart, and unplugged the starter button. When the battery is connected again, the starter motor again engages.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to try next?

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
I'm having the same problem with a 1995 Fourtrax 300. But I just replaced the starter solenoid, and when I connect the battery, the starter motor engages.

So I took everything apart, and unplugged the starter button. When the battery is connected again, the starter motor again engages.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to try next?
your hooking the battery cables up wrong ?, or your starter solenoid is bad ?.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Battery is not connected. If connected, even with the key in my pocket, the starter motor turns over. . . . .

Regarding the solenoid, I hope it's not bad. It's non-returnable as an electric part. How can I test that? It has a wiring harness, so there's no way to connect that incorrectly.

OK, here's some additional info that I just discovered while taking everything apart and since posting my initial inquiry. . . . the + and - wires that connect to the battery DO have connectivity, as tested by my multimeter. Both connect directly to the starter motor. So there's a short in the system somewhere, that allows electricity to flow directly to the starter motor. Is the short possibly within the starter motor itself? I don't have a new motor to test, but when I put the multimeter directly to the + post on the starter motor, there is connectivity to the motor housing. I assume that is NOT right, and the short is within the starter?

So a new starter should fix this issue?

Thank you for your time

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts