Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '98 250 Recon, and I think the starter is going out. I replaced the battery, but still have the same problem which is 90% of the time when I hit the start switch it just makes a heavy click which sounds like it's coming from the switch assembly. I double checked all the wiring, and the connections are all good. Does this sound like the starter needs to be replaced, or would you recommend replacing the switch assembly first?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I have a '98 250 Recon, and I think the starter is going out. I replaced the battery, but still have the same problem which is 90% of the time when I hit the start switch it just makes a heavy click which sounds like it's coming from the switch assembly. I double checked all the wiring, and the connections are all good. Does this sound like the starter needs to be replaced, or would you recommend replacing the switch assembly first?
your selonoid is bad..to check this..go right to the postive post on your starter with some jumper cables..hook the hot up to the pos post on the starter..brielfy touch the neg to anywhere on the motor or frame for ground..if the starter cranks..then it's the starter selonoid thats bad

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Might be the solenoid. Find where the solenoid is [probably close to the battery] and give a good bang with a screwdriver. Or, if you can do it easily, jump across the 2 large terminals with a screwdriver and see if it tries to start.

ADDED: Yeah, what he said ^^^

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Try crossing the starter solenoid(starter relay switch) over with an old screwdriver, first, to see if it will start. The solenoid is the most common item to go bad. I'm not sure what you mean by "switch assembly". You may already be talking about the starter solenoid.

Yeah, I agree with Pain and Shadetree. We all three must have been typing at the same time. LOL.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Try crossing the starter solenoid(starter relay switch) over with an old screwdriver, first, to see if it will start. The solenoid is the most common item to go bad. I'm not sure what you mean by "switch assembly". You may already be talking about the starter solenoid.

Yeah, I agree with Pain and Shadetree. We all three must have been typing at the same time. LOL.
lmfao..i mostly have the correct answer helmut..i'm just slow at typing the answer..lmfaoooo.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

lmfao..i mostly have the correct answer helmut..i'm just slow at typing the answer..lmfaoooo.
More than likely, it's the solenoid. That's usually the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick reply guys! I'll give that a shot tonight and let y'all know if that works or not. I'm thinking the "starter assembly" is the same thing as the solenoid. Thanks again - I really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

More than likely, it's the solenoid. That's usually the problem.
either that..or the start button on the switch needs cleaning..or in fact..the starter is about to die...no other reason that i know of.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If it clicks when he hits the button then I doubt it's the switch. It's trying to engage the solenoid, so it's at least making it that far.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I'm thinking the "starter assembly" is the same thing as the solenoid.
Probably, it'll look something like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I'm thinking the "starter assembly" is the same thing as the solenoid.

dang it helmut..i'm gonna start calling you the picture man !..lmfao..good work bro !
A picture's worth a thousand words. LOL. That way I don't have to type so much. If I have to type a lot, then , you and Pain will beat me and by the time I get done typing, you guys will already have answered the question. It makes me look like I'm just repeating your answers. LMAO.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

dang it helmut..i'm gonna start calling you the picture man !..lmfao..good work bro !
A picture's worth a thousand words. LOL. That way I don't have to type so much. If I have to type a lot, then , you and Pain will beat me and by the time I get done typing, you guys will already have answered the question. It makes me look like I'm just repeating your answers. LMAO.
lmfao..true bro !..only problem is..you can't get into detail with a pic !..lmfao.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
lmfao..true bro !..only problem is..you can't get into detail with a pic !..lmfao.
No, then I would have to post 2 or more pictures. LMAO. Anything the pictures don't say, I can add. LOL.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After a little playin around, I found out it's the starter. When I crossed the terminals on the solenoid it wouldn't start. Even tried the jumper cable directly to the starter and nothing. However, as I held in the start button, I took a rubber mallet and gave the starter just a tap and she fired right off. Now the fun begins....rebuilding the starter. Shouldn't be too bad, I'm guessing I can have that done in about 2 hours.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
No, it's not hard to rebuild a starter, as long as the armature is good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So....I thought I was going to finish the starter this weekend (and I would have), but the knuckle-head at the shop gave me the right-hand brush holder instead of the left-hand. I knew I should have double checked it before I left his shop. My first warning was he asked me about half a dozen times what year it was....even gave him the part number and he STILL screwed it up. Hard to believe he owns the place and is still in business!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
So....I thought I was going to finish the starter this weekend (and I would have), but the knuckle-head at the shop gave me the right-hand brush holder instead of the left-hand. I knew I should have double checked it before I left his shop. My first warning was he asked me about half a dozen times what year it was....even gave him the part number and he STILL screwed it up. Hard to believe he owns the place and is still in business!
Sounds like he has too many things on his mind....lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts