Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 440ex starter spins the wrong way. If I change the polarity of the Battery and make a positive ground then the bike tries to turn over. But nothing else as far as lights seem to work. Any Ideas to what the problem is or what it would take to fix.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
My 440ex starter spins the wrong way. If I change the polarity of the Battery and make a positive ground then the bike tries to turn over. But nothing else as far as lights seem to work. Any Ideas to what the problem is or what it would take to fix.
yeah..your sprag bearing is shot..you need to put your cables back like they were..or your gonna fry your elec system.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
also..did you just replace the starter ???.if so..you may have gotten the wrong starter..but.if it was working before..now all of a sudden your starter is free spinning your one way sprag bearing..then..i'm putting my money on the sprag bearing being bad..this is..unless you just replaced the starter..and got the wrong one..some starters turn clockwise..when others turn counter clockwise..by switching the battery leads..all your doing is changing the direction of the current..which..in turn..makes the starter go the other way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
shadetree response

what the heck is a sprag bearing and were is it located ? im putting this bike together from scratch but starter is original. Didnt leave battery hooked up long just enough to check it

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
what the heck is a sprag bearing and were is it located
the sprag bearing sit's behind the flywheel..when you push the elec start button..the starter turns two gears...these two gears go back behind the flywheel..and mesh into the flywheel gear...this flywheel gear..has a bearing inside it..it's called a sprag bearing...when all this starts to turn..this sprag bearing grabs ahold of the flywheel..which makes the motor's crank turn...soo..unless you just replaced your starter with a different one..your sprag bearing is bad..it will need to be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
lol mud..if he don't know what one is.or where it is..how's a pic gonna tell him anything..you gotta add words bro !..lmfao

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope not it bike will turn over right direction when i turn starter gear with screwdriver or polarity is positive ground so it is engaging because of slip clutch motor only turns one way so motor is engaging. Starter is going wrong direction what would cause original starter to do so.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Nope not it bike will turn over right direction when i turn starter gear with screwdriver or polarity is positive ground so it is engaging because of slip clutch motor only turns one way so motor is engaging. Starter is going wrong direction what would cause original starter to do so.
ok..try checking to make sure your leads from the battery are hooked up right..neg to bike frame..or a bolt on engine..make sure the pos cable runs from the pos on the battery..to the starter relay..from the starter relay..go to the starter terminal..make sure all of this is wired right...if it is..where the starter sticks in the case..there should be a cover there on the outside of it..remove it..take the gear off of the end of the starter..now..when you push the elec start button on the handle bar..watch which way the starter turns..make a note of this...now..with the other gear thats still attached to the shaft that goes back behind the flywheel..try turning it by hand..it should free spin one way..but when you try to turn it the other way..it should lock up..make note of the way it locks up when you turn it....now..compare the way your starter turned..and compare the way your flywheel gear turned...when your starter turns ..it transfers that motion to the sprag bearing..it locks that bearing when it turns the right way...if everything is working like it should..when you push the starter button..it all transfers this to the sprag bearing to start your bike...just make sure your pos to relay..ground to engine or frame..most go to engine..and from your relay to starter is on the right way..we'll take it from there if it's wired right.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
if the starter is turning the wrong way..then it's not the right starter..if it is the right starter..then your problem is the sprag bearing..no other way around it..i've got 12 years of working on this kinda stuff..i'm pretty much on top of my game when it comes to this problem..anyway..good luck..hope you get it fixed :)

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
If you know that it is the correct starter, then I would try rebuilding it.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
The main ground on some ATVs, grounds to one of the starter mounting bolts. You didn't have the starter off, did you? If you did, maybe you put the hot on the grounding bolt and the ground on the hot terminal on the starter. That would make the starter turn backwards.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
rebuilding the starter wont make it turn the right way..if it's not the right starter..even after rebuilding it..it's still going to turn the wrong way..or am i totally wrong here ??

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
The main ground on some ATVs, grounds to one of the starter mounting bolts. You didn't have the starter off, did you? If you did, maybe you put the hot on the grounding bolt and the ground on the hot terminal on the starter. That would make the starter turn backwards.
yeah..i asked him to trace the leads..make sure what wires went to what..if it's not hooked up right..it can run backwards..been there..done that..lol

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
rebuilding the starter wont make it turn the right way..if it's not the right starter..even after rebuilding it..it's still going to turn the wrong way..or am i totally wrong here ??
If it's the wrong starter, it won't.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
yeah..i asked him to trace the leads..make sure what wires went to what..if it's not hooked up right..it can run backwards..been there..done that..lol
If the wires are switched on the starter, it would turn backwards and it wouldn't arc anywhere, either, because the ground won't be grounded to the engine case. I would say nothing else in the electrical system would be grounded either, though. If this isn't the problem, then, I have no clue.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
thought so..but..very good answer on that reversing the leads at the starter..i never thought of that..but..i did mention to trace the leads..and to make sure all the leads were ran to the right place..still..very good answer helmut !..or shall i say question ?..lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts