Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Honda folks,

I’ve got an 02 Rancher 350 TRX, fishing and hunting machine only. It’s my first wheeler, so yes, kind of a newbie, but decent with a wrench and not a rookie mechanic by any means.

Recently, when I tried to start, was getting a clicking in the solenoid so I assumed starter was starting to go south. Having had many old cars, I thought a tap on the starter with a wrench would buy me some time, get it running till I could get the new starter installed. What I thought was the starter, isn’t!

I was tapping a cylinder on the front of the engine case, right next to what looks like the front drive shaft. Oddly enough, it worked! What is that???

I’ll try to attach an image, but figured someone would know right off the bat.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I believe you were rapping on the shift motor, but I'm not real familure with with ES models, and it sounds like the starter brushes maybe going out.....

Welcome to the forums!

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Fair warning, tapping on shift or starter motors can break the field magnets loose (or shatter them) where they are glued inside the motor housings. Check the ground cable and bolt where the negative battery cable bolts to the motor next to the starter first. The bolt may be seized up in the case and the ground cable & case corroded. Then you can take the starter apart to see if a brush is stuck or worn too short as _Wilson_ advised.

You can find a service manual for reference & brush length specs here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GcqS65GYd3yFmEAGsI7LP-eZp2jMRVJU?usp=sharing

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have indeed checked, cleaned and reconnect battery cables and also on solenoid. I do have a starter in hand, I’m baffled that tapping on the shift motor on front of the engine case did the trick though!

I plan on installing new starter this weekend, hoping that’s the ticket. Thanks for the feedback.

M

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
@retro ;;; i have not ever heard this,, Banging on starter, or shifter motors, can fracture glued on magnets. Newtons Law..
it makes perfect sense though. Oh Well..
still searching for my mind. it fades in an out. spends more time out though :devil

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Clicking solenoid is usually a low battery or bad solenoid.

Have you tried jumping the terminals on the solenoid with a screwdriver? If you do that, and your battery is fully charged, and it doesn't turn over, then it's your starter. If it spins over when you jump it with a screwdriver it's your solenoid.

Don't buy a chinese starter or solenoid. Get used OEM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts