Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 rancher 350 and the starter for the stock motor isn't really cutting it. Does anyone have any experience with this or know if like a foreman starter will fit on it? Is there a high torque starter available? Any help would be much appreciated. I would pull start it if I could but with the big bore the compression is just so high I'll rip my arm off.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
What big bore are you running and what cam? The OEM cam has a decompression mechanism built into it to aid in starting...I'm not aware of any high torque starters for it, if the starter is original to the machine then maybe a new OEM starter might help? Otherwise you could run the starter on 24v. It's hard on the starter but sometimes you have to pay to play. The 450 Foreman starter mounts a bit differently than the 350's did, so I don't think that would work. Only other way I can think of is if there is a way to change the gears that the starter engages with for more reduction?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What big bore are you running and what cam? The OEM cam has a decompression mechanism built into it to aid in starting...I'm not aware of any high torque starters for it, if the starter is original to the machine then maybe a new OEM starter might help? Otherwise you could run the starter on 24v. It's hard on the starter but sometimes you have to pay to play. The 450 Foreman starter mounts a bit differently than the 350's did, so I don't think that would work. Only other way I can think of is if there is a way to change the gears that the starter engages with for more reduction?
I'm running the 375 big bore from high lifter and the guy I bought it from said there was an upgraded cam but I'm not sure. I'm using an OEM starter off another machine because the starter went on mine but was just curious if anyone has heard of using a higher torque starter or something out a 450. Maybe I'll find a used foreman one online and make my own mounting plate or something.

Went out this morning in upstate NY where it was about 15 degrees and battery was charged yesterday and still had juice but just not enough to start it. Threw it on the charger for an episode of MobSteel and started right up. But I'll looking into a 450 starter and just see how it goes

·
Registered
39 Posts
Try jumping it off with a known good battery. If that won't crank it try starting it while tapping the back of the starter with a hammer. If the hammer starts it then your starter brushes are bad.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Even upgrading the battery will make a huge difference in cranking power. But I still think your problem lies with that cam. Stock compression on a 350 is under 100psi, no idea what your at now, but I just don't see any issues turning it over with everything working good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
mac102004
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing