Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my 2002 trx 450 wont turn over with the button. the solinoid under the seat clicks but nothing to the starter. i can jump accross the terminals on the solinoid with a screwdriver and it works fine. so do you think its the solinoid or the button on the handlebars? i cleaned all posts and connections on both places and no help. so here i am asking you all again! thank you!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Probaby the silenoid but could be the button.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
so my 2002 trx 450 wont turn over with the button. the solinoid under the seat clicks but nothing to the starter. i can jump accross the terminals on the solinoid with a screwdriver and it works fine. so do you think its the solinoid or the button on the handlebars? i cleaned all posts and connections on both places and no help. so here i am asking you all again! thank you!
I agree with Billy. If you can jump the terminals on the solenoid and it starts, then the solenoid is, more than likely, bad. It could be the button, but not likely as the solenoids will usually go bad occasionally. I would replace the solenoid, first. If that doesn't fix it, then you can look toward the starter button or wiring.

·
Registered
383 Posts
mine did that clicking yesterday my battery was dead from leaving the key on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A good way to check this is with a 12 volt test light but first make sure your connected to a strong battery. There is a wire that is soldered to the side of your solenoid that only has current when you push your starter button. That wire is what energizes your solenoid. Take the test light and clamp the aligator clip to a good ground somewhere like your battery. Take the pointy end and hold it on one of those wires( could be 2 of them) on the side of the solenoid. Turn Ignition switch on and push starter button. With that button pushed in the test light should light up. If it doesnt, that means your problem Likely is not the solenoid. If light lights up then the problem is likely the solenoid or the ground.

On a side note, there should be another wire on your solenoid that is always hot. Most of the time its a red wire that is smaller in diameter than your positive wire from the battery. Quite often its connected to one of the solenoid posts but sometimes not. That wire is important because it runs up to your ignition switch and from there to your starter button and back down to the solenoid. But I dont know what color it is when it comes back to solenoid. Ok you probably know all this but I thought I would suggest this because it saves time and money with guessing.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
A good way to check this is with a 12 volt test light but first make sure your connected to a strong battery. There is a wire that is soldered to the side of your solenoid that only has current when you push your starter button. That wire is what energizes your solenoid. Take the test light and clamp the aligator clip to a good ground somewhere like your battery. Take the pointy end and hold it on one of those wires( could be 2 of them) on the side of the solenoid. Turn Ignition switch on and push starter button. With that button pushed in the test light should light up. If it doesnt, that means your problem Likely is not the solenoid. If light lights up then the problem is likely the solenoid or the ground.

On a side note, there should be another wire on your solenoid that is always hot. Most of the time its a red wire that is smaller in diameter than your positive wire from the battery. Quite often its connected to one of the solenoid posts but sometimes not. That wire is important because it runs up to your ignition switch and from there to your starter button and back down to the solenoid. But I dont know what color it is when it comes back to solenoid. Ok you probably know all this but I thought I would suggest this because it saves time and money with guessing.
I don't think that wire is soldered on to the side of the solenoid. I believe it runs down into the inside of the solenoid, but it might be soldered where it goes down in there. There will be two wires. One is ground and the other hot. If you are going to check the hot wire coming from the start button and if the wires aren't soldered where they go down through the top of the solenoid, then, you will need to, either probe the wire with the point of the test light or unhook the plug from the solenoid and probe the wire at the plug on the harness side. Don't forget to ground your test light to a good ground, preferably hook to the ground terminal on the battery. Also, don't forget to turn the key on and push the start button, when checking. If you are getting power to the solenoid when you press the starter button, the test light will light up. If it lights up, more than likely, the solenoid is bad. That is, if your battery is charged and your starter is good. When you're finished, if you had to probe the wires, put a dab of silicone where you probed it, to keep water out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there is 2 wires soldered into the solinoid. the battery is new and turns it over great when i jump accross the solinoid terminals. is a test light fine or do i need to check with a volt meter? i am pretty sure there is power to the solinoid because it clicks when i hit the button. thanks everyone for the help!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
if it clicks I'd say it's deffinatly the silenoid.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
there is 2 wires soldered into the solinoid. the battery is new and turns it over great when i jump accross the solinoid terminals. is a test light fine or do i need to check with a volt meter? i am pretty sure there is power to the solinoid because it clicks when i hit the button. thanks everyone for the help!
Yeah, I would just go ahead and change the solenoid. I'm pretty sure that's your problem.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Great.Glad to here that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts