Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally made 1 usable TRX300FW out of my 2 that have been sitting collecting dust in the garage for quite some time now. I believe I joined here about 3 years ago. Before the wheeler was parked the electric start worked fine.

First I would like to say that the wheeler starts great with the kickstart.

But, when attempting to put a brand new battery in today, as soon as I try to attach the 2nd battery cable, the machine tries to start all by itself, just with touching the battery cable to the battery terminal. Kinda seems like the thumbswitch is being held in.

Swapped in the starter solenoid from my other 300, same thing.

The ignition key is off during all of this too.

Got frustrated and put the old bad battery back in, fired right back up 1st kick.

Could I have 2 bad solenoids? Bad thumb starter switch.?

I tried holding the thumb switch in while attempting to attach 2nd battery cable to see if it made any difference and it didn't.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You have a short in the harness somewhere if this is happening with the key off.

You'll have to start tracing back from the solenoid and see where the harness is pinched or has a bare wire in it..

Thumb button shouldn't work with the key off. So I say start at the solenoid and go from there..

·
Super Moderator
36,820 Posts
agreed with cman..some how power is getting to the starter solenoid...it's not suppose to work until you turn key on..then press start button, spec with the key off !..lol. my guess ?..mice done had a field day with your wires !..lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't found any wires rubbed through yet.

Have racks and all plastics off and am beginning to wonder if maybe my problem was/is from me incorrectly hooking wires up.

I think I may have put the positive battery cable on the starter relay, then tried to attach the positive starter relay cable to the positive battery terminal.

Of course the wiring is all apart and so is my 2nd Honda 300, so I don't even know how it was or how it is supposed to be, yet. I just have a feeling it is all me from having everything apart and incorrectly re-assembling.

·
Super Moderator
36,820 Posts
Haven't found any wires rubbed through yet.

Have racks and all plastics off and am beginning to wonder if maybe my problem was/is from me incorrectly hooking wires up.

I think I may have put the positive battery cable on the starter relay, then tried to attach the positive starter relay cable to the positive battery terminal.

Of course the wiring is all apart and so is my 2nd Honda 300, so I don't even know how it was or how it is supposed to be, yet. I just have a feeling it is all me from having everything apart and incorrectly re-assembling.
ok..i'll tell you how you should hook up your starter..from the battery to the starter. first...from the neg on the battery..you have a black cable with a clamp with holes on it..one end hooks to the neg on the battery..other hooks to and through a mounting bolt to attach the starter to the engine case..this is the best way i've found to ground the motor and frame !. now...back at the battery..you have a short black cable with a red plastic cap on it ?..one end attached to one side of the starter solenoid...IT DOES NOT MATTER WHICH SCREW/BOLT YOU ATTACH IT TO !..this may or may not have a plastic cap on it ?..most are black !...attach it to the srarter solenoid....now on the other end..you will have a red plastic cap..this attaches to the pos terminal on the battery. sooooo..to sum this all up..you got one long black cable going from the neg battery terminal..all the way to the ground bolt at the starter mounting hole to the engine block. then..from the pos side of the battery..you got a short cable leading to either side of the starter solenoid..AGAIN...DOES NOT MATTER WHICH SCREW/BOLT YOU ATTACH IT TOO !!..then from the other long cable..it attaches to the other screw/bolt on the solenoid...then this runs to the center bolt on the starter. if you have all this hooked up right ?..then when you turn the key on..press the start button ( make sure it's in neutral ! )..it should crank over ?!..if for some reason it does not ..and you hear a clicking noise instead ?..then your starter solenoid is bad ?..orrr..your battery is too weak ?..orrrrrrrr..your starter is bad ?.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks shadetree. :)

Hooked everything back up this afternoon and everything works great now! I am pretty sure I had the two positive cables opposite of what they are supposed to be.

This is the battery box the correct way, as per shadetree (crappy cell phone pics)--

....and parked in the garage after a test run of several laps around the lawn pulling my 3 boys in a plastic sled.

Next up in the near future will be figuring out the front brakes and installing new grips.

·
Super Moderator
36,820 Posts
Thanks shadetree. :)

Hooked everything back up this afternoon and everything works great now! I am pretty sure I had the two positive cables opposite of what they are supposed to be.

This is the battery box the correct way, as per shadetree (crappy cell phone pics)--

....and parked in the garage after a test run of several laps around the lawn pulling my 3 boys in a plastic sled.

Next up in the near future will be figuring out the front brakes and installing new grips.
i take it...i told ya some good info then ?..lol..glad you got it figured out bro !..and glad the kids got to enjoy that sled ride !..please be careful though !..lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having the same issue please help unplugged the solenoid it still turns over on its own it has spark getting good fuel it just won't start just constantly turns over

·
Super Moderator
36,820 Posts
Having the same issue please help unplugged the solenoid it still turns over on its own it has spark getting good fuel it just won't start just constantly turns over
welcome to the forums. your battery cables are not hooked up right from battery to starter solenoid, then from starter solenoid to starter. as well as the ground cable. there is a sticky in the repair section with some art drawings ( lol )..of me showing the hook up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 04 Rancher 350FE I took out solenoid to replace but couldn't get one put old back in then could get no juice anywhere. Thinking I had rewired incorrectly I changed wires after tapping on solenoid to see if that would work now starter runs w/o key being on. Can someone help? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
you should start your own thread, but,, have ya downloaded a service manual yet. better to buy OEM, not much from china, for parts. best to keep everything the same, wiring wise.. the better advice should come along shortly. if a solenoid fit before, the replacement should also..

·
Registered
8 Posts
welcome to the forums. your battery cables are not hooked up right from battery to starter solenoid, then from starter solenoid to starter. as well as the ground cable. there is a sticky in the repair section with some art drawings ( lol )..of me showing the hook up.
I'm having the same probably with my quad 110cc we unplugged the solenoid the cdi an the computer still wanna try to run

·
Registered
8 Posts
I plugged up my positive an negative and my quad try to crank on its on own we even unplugged the solenoid I don't know if the green wire with the negative is the ground or what but my four wheeler trys to crank when I hook up to the battery

·
Super Moderator
5,031 Posts
I plugged up my positive an negative and my quad try to crank on its on own we even unplugged the solenoid I don't know if the green wire with the negative is the ground or what but my four wheeler trys to crank when I hook up to the battery
As stated above, you have a short in the wiring harness. You need to trace the wires back through the harness to find the break.

·
Super Moderator
5,031 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts