Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going crazy tring to find a solution for my 2000 honda recon. It idles fine, until i put it into gear (forward or reverse) it doesnt matter, then it will die out. If i rev it up and shift into 1st or rev, it will go fine and will run perfert shifting thru all the gears, until i stop while in any gear, then it will die out. Ive tried cleaning the carb, adjusting the clutch, and made sure there was enough oil in the engine/trans. Any help would be greatly appr. This forum is absolutely great !!!! Thanks guys

·
Registered
202 Posts
u have dirt in your main jet the easyest way to find out if its carb put the choke on and try shifting and if that works then u have a carb problem probley dirt in the main jet and if u clean the carb clean the air filter to

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks i will try that. It does have a new air filter and i did try cleaning the carb but maybe not good enough. Didnt know if i may have been an electrical problem or a clutch problem.

·
Registered
202 Posts
no to me it sounds like carb take the carb right off and clean the hole thing with brake clean and air

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
It could just need the idle set up slightly.But it's probably the carb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried cleaning the carb really good with sea foam and air last night and still the same issue. I know this atv should idle in gear without giving any gas. Any other suggestions would be greatley appr. Thanks so much for the advise thus far!!!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Set the idle up slightly.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Your Idle circuit jet is clogged you are going to have to remove the carb and take the bowl off and pull the slow jet out and clean it grab a couple f cans of carb and choke cleaner, make sure you do not spray any o-rings with it they will sweel right up and be useless.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Good idea moose.I never thought of using torch tip cleaners.

·
Registered
54 Posts
those carbs can be a real pain sometimes. you need to take that carb apart and soak it. there is a circuit between the slow jet and the idle mixture screw. if this is clogged, the carb will not run right no matter what you do. the easy way to check this is to take the fuel bowl off, take out your slow jet and idle mixture screw. spray carb cleaner, brake cleaner, whatever into your slow jet hole. you should see it coming out of your idle mixture screw openings. i dont know if everyone has access to the degreaser "purple power", but this is the best stuff made for soaking and cleaning a carb. i have tried them all. carb cleaner works well if you don't have any buildup, but if your bike has ever set for a prolonged time without being rode, then you def. need to soak. if you use purple power, you must keep a check on your carb. this stuff works wonders but sometimes it works too well. you cannot just throw it in there and leave it for hours or days. the longest i have ever had to leave one is a hour, most the time only 30 minutes. it could damage it if left too long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2001 recon 250 that the clutch will not dissengage. it will run fine in neutral but as soon as you put it in gear it lunges forward and dies out. I put a new carb on it and it runs great. I adjusted the freeplay screw on the clutch cover...all the way out will run in gear, but will not move....with in gear I turned the screw in about 1 turn and it lunged forward and died again...any Ideas? possibly the clutch disks are stuck together?....thanks for the help in advance..

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
HMMM. There are a lot of smart guys on here. Start your own new thread and you will probably get more responses.

I use to live in Tucson!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a 2001 recon 250 that the clutch will not dissengage. it will run fine in neutral but as soon as you put it in gear it lunges forward and dies out. I put a new carb on it and it runs great. I adjusted the freeplay screw on the clutch cover...all the way out will run in gear, but will not move....with in gear I turned the screw in about 1 turn and it lunged forward and died again...any Ideas? possibly the clutch disks are stuck together?....thanks for the help in advance..
Your drive clutch (not the clutch pack) but the centrifugal clutch is either adjust way to much or stuck against the hub.

You will need to remove the cover,remove the hub and replace,if it wont adjust.

·
Registered
141 Posts
To the main post.

Soak the carb and blow it out,carb cleaner will be fine.

The idle jet is the problem,but clean the whole thing out.order a ket off ebay.They are usually made by Moose and are good quality.

·
Registered
5 Posts
how do you adjust the main clutch? I took it off and no springs were broke and it wasn't stuck open. could it be possible the springs are weak and the clutch is engaging to early? thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
141 Posts
how do you adjust the main clutch? I took it off and no springs were broke and it wasn't stuck open. could it be possible the springs are weak and the clutch is engaging to early? thanks again for the info.
Your looking at the wrong clutch.the springs you speak of are the clutch pack for the gears,the other clutch it similar to a go cart drive clutch.They are next to each other.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts