Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 2000 400ex that i completely rebuilt top to bottom. i replaced the timing chain because it was ticking pretty bad, it still ticks a little after the replace and 4 new valves/seals. i didnt know if it was possible that maybe i bought this quad with a stage 2 hot cam because i heard that they tick quite a bit if you do. how do i find out if i have one?? or why is my quad still ticking. deff a timing chain tick, not a valve

·
Super Moderator
4,389 Posts
Take the two bolt off and slide the tensioner out. Then push it back into the hole. If you can get it to go all the way down in with out using the bolts to pull it tight against the jug you have a bad tensioner if you just did a timing chain. The guides could also be warn if this happens but more than likely the tensioner they are junk. I had to replace mine with a manual one when i did my timing chain.

The auto decomp is also junk lol. And just a roll over from when this engine was in the xr400 but it is attatched to the cam on the end with the gear. It would be the thickest part of that cam if its there. If not it would have had a flat skinny area between the lobes and the gear.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ther is still the decompression plunge in the head? Would that not be there with the stage 2? The noise is i believe a timing chain, it ticks faster when accelerating

·
Registered
12 Posts
u have 2 pop off your valve cover. the stock cam has the decompression on it like a springy setup and hot cam does not. hot cam is also stamped in it

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put a stage 1 hotcam in my 400ex over the winter and it started ticking as well...I was concerned at first so I took it to a buddy that works on quads and he went over everything and said it was fine and then I read online that hotcams have tick noise to them. I havent had any issues with it...still ticks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Help? I just redid the top end on my 03 400ex, and I got a stage 2 hotcam. the hot cam seems to be missing a piece thats on the stock cam. The piece on the stock cam sits against this little pin and spring, but I have NO idea what it does. Do I just remove that pin and spring and install the hotcam? THANKS!

·
Registered
1 Posts
A hotcam does tick . A faulty cam chain tensioner makes alot more noise than a hotcam
I just replaced everything in top end even twnsionor and I adjusted the valves to stock but I have a stage 2 cam and 11 to 1 piston is the ticking normal or is the valves adjusted wrong

1 - 15 of 15 Posts