Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 Foreman 500, ES 4x4.

When I bought this bike, I noticed the wheels were a little "wobbly" in the front, so I am thinking bearings are in the near future. It wasn't a crazy amount, but they did feel a little loose. I am hearing lots of squeaking in the front when riding on flat ground. Could it be related to the bearings? I don't think it's shocks because it happens on flat ground as much as when going over more varied terrain.

I haven't started to look into it yet, but am trying to kind of diagnose what it might possibly be before I get started, when I find the time.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Put your quad up on jack stands and put your hand on the top and bottom of the tire. Wiggle it around and see if there is any play. If so you need bearings. Which would make the noise your hearing. Bearings aren't that exspensive so I'd change them. Also take some WD40 and spray it on your shocks too, Sometimes after they sit for a while they make noise. Good luck
Cameron

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
that model has bushings and a steel rod in the upper a-arm, inspect them !. the bushings are plastic, of all things !..lol. and have a look at your shock bushings.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Why would they make those plastic. who Thought that was a good idea??

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Why would they make those plastic. who Thought that was a good idea??
beats me ?, thank Honda for that !..lol. I guess they want them to wear out faster ?, so you can buy more ??.lol. I replaced both sides on my '05 trx500fm, had to heat them in order to get them out !..lol. pretty much melted them, but I was replacing them anyway ?, no loss there. and the steel rod that runs the length was rusted and pitted on the ends ?, so, I replaced them. I agree, plastic rubbing on steel ?, not to smart !..lol.

Reactions: XplicitRacing6

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ball joints will squeak when they are dry (no grease), even if they aren't worn out. It sounds like a thorough inspection of the front end is in order. And, it's better to fix it now, before something fails. Typically, once it fails, something else gets damaged, complicating things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts