Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been drag racing My 2005 400ex. Ive done all right but i reali want to show up and start smokeing the competion some. I have a couple engine mods done to my bike alreadi, and I just orderded a set of Razr 2s. the next thing I planned on doing was changeing the front spocket. Right now the stock is a 14 tooth. Should I go with a 13 tooth sprocket or a 15 tooth? My ending goal is to be able to keep up with the 450s. Let me know what you think about the sprocket change and if you have any other ideas of what I should do. Thanxz​

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well Joker a 13 will give a good jump off of the line. But your gears will max out quick and you wont get the speed you need.
A 15 will make ya a dog off of the line but faster in the taller gears and it might take a while to get the speed you need.
I would think with out major engine work niether will get you to where you want to be. Gears are a give and take thing. More bottom/less top and vice versa.
What are your engine mods?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
A little blue bottle and a button on the handle bars (NOS) !!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have a stage one hot cam, LRD Jet Kit, and LRD Head pipe to LRD Pipe. I've also cut two metal bars and put them in place of my front shocks to lower it and Ive ratched straped the ass end down. Oh and where I usually drag its only 300ft so it sounds like the 13 tooth might be better for my location.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Funny, Iam not a drag guy at all (no comments plese LOL) but I read a thread some place about drag guys with useing a R6 rear shock on the rear of the 400ex. They were saying it was cheap and droped it some. The shock was 12" eye to eye. I guess I would look into a aftermarket air filter, tire size, rev box, +6sparks key,450r carb or remove the choke on the ex carb and rejet, remove air box lid or the entire air box. Do you do dirt drags or on pavement and is this ex just a drag bike nothing else?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
A 13 tooth work fine for 300 drags, it'll help you rev out faster and get through the gears. A higher reving cdi would be a good investment also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The drags are on hard packed dirt, The razr 2s that i just ordered I went with 20X11X9. Im highly thinking about making the 400ex strictly a drag bike but haven't made that final decison yet. I Have a K&N Power Lid, Should I run with that on or take it right off?

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
Take the lid off but you need to play with the jets my friend runs his 400ex with no lid he's jetted with a 170 main and K&N Filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts