Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys gotta 98 300 fourtrax 4x4. my question is, is it ok to spray carb cleaner in the air intake while running to help remove carbon and smut in the air intake, carb and piston tops?? if so how do you guys do it? 1/4th can at a time, shut down, let soak, crank and blow the smoke? thanks fellas

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Carb cleaner is know to take rings out.Not a good Idea.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I wouldn't imagine that the carb cleaner will hurt anything...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't imagine that the carb cleaner will hurt anything...
i can see using too much too quick could do some harm but normally i am pretty careful. (i say that now haha) ill see what everyone else says.. that deep creep seems useful. too bad i dont see it anywhere where i live.

of course after treatemen i will change the oil.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
You know what they say, too much of anything is a bad thing...LOL

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
If your going to use carb cleaner, atleast keep the RPMs up above idle and like they say use in moderation you will blow a hole in the piston if you spray too much too fast. But I do it in autos to clean out the TPS,IAC,MAP,throttle body and plentium.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your going to use carb cleaner, atleast keep the RPMs up above idle and like they say use in moderation you will blow a hole in the piston if you spray too much too fast. But I do it in autos to clean out the TPS,IAC,MAP,throttle body and plentium.
roger that

if not carb cleaner then what do you guys use? what would be a safer alternative?

i use carb cleaner for the same stuff you mentioned...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts