Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, A few months ago when starting my 1996 Honda Foreman 400 I noticed the speedometer would register 45 mph (pinned) and the hours would increase quickly when idling. When putting it in gear and riding the speedometer will bounce back an forth from 0 to 45 mph, and when in Reverse or Neutral the indicator lights will light, however they are dim. The wiring that I can see looks fine, and no signs of grounding out. I am in the process of replacing the battery and noticed this still happens after pull starting.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if so what they did to fix it. Faulty wiring??? Starter relay going bad??? New battery needed???

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Hello, A few months ago when starting my 1996 Honda Foreman 400 I noticed the speedometer would register 45 mph (pinned) and the hours would increase quickly when idling. When putting it in gear and riding the speedometer will bounce back an forth from 0 to 45 mph, and when in Reverse or Neutral the indicator lights will light, however they are dim. The wiring that I can see looks fine, and no signs of grounding out. I am in the process of replacing the battery and noticed this still happens after pull starting.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if so what they did to fix it. Faulty wiring??? Starter relay going bad??? New battery needed???

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forums. Low battery voltage can cause that, so I would replace the battery first and see if it fixes the problem. I think it will.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts