Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my 08 rincon wasnt shifting properly, maxing out at 47km/hr top speed. Finally took it in after troubleshooting for several weeks.
The honda tech spent over 9 hours on it beofre he figured out it was the speed sensoe in the frtont difff. i guess this thing is magnetic and collects shavings. once it has too many shavings it stops communicting with the tranny and wont shift.
does this sound right to anyone? has anyone ran across this before\?
thanks guys

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Welcome to the family. I deleted your other thread. No need for duplicate thread. Some one will be able to help you out soon.

Again, Welcome to the site!!!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I can grasp the concept of what they are saying, with magnetic pulse sensors I can see where that would screw things up.. Now my questions are....

1. Is the speed sensor actually in the front diff on that model? I don't know because I'm not familiar with it.

2. WHY are there that may metal shavings IN THE FRONT DIFF? There should be very minimal shavings if any at all if its had oil in it and been properly maintained?

3. Why did it take a Honda tech that long to figure that out if all of the above is true?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
1. Is the speed sensor actually in the front diff on that model? I don't know because I'm not familiar with it.
Honda 4wd ATVs, with Traxlok (selectable 4wd), have an additional speed sensor in the front diff that's part of the selectable 4wd system. This is to keep the ATV from going into 4wd if the front and rear wheels are moving at different speeds, such as when you're spinning.

Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Okay well that answers that question but wouldn't you agree that to have enough shavings in the front diff to cause that problem is maybe not right? Is it something that you are supposed to clean every now and again?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Okay well that answers that question but wouldn't you agree that to have enough shavings in the front diff to cause that problem is maybe not right? Is it something that you are supposed to clean every now and again?
I've never had a problem with one of those, but yeah, it seems like there shouldn't be enough shavings inside there to cause that if everything was right.

ADDED: Of course, if you think about it, it wouldn't take but one shaving to get hung in there and close the gap and not let the sensor work.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
yeah that could be the case, not sure on the tolerances of that but it may not take much. Then that only leaves why in the world would it take a shop 9 hours to figure that out.. LOL

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
yeah that could be the case, not sure on the tolerances of that but it may not take much. Then that only leaves why in the world would it take a shop 9 hours to figure that out.. LOL
I think a lot of techs are taught a certain way to diagnose problems and don't really use common sense and observe things the way they should. Something real simple can be a bigger problem for some people if they're not real observant.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I think a lot of techs are taught a certain way to diagnose problems and don't really use common sense and observe things the way they should. Something real simple can be a bigger problem for some people if they're not real observant.
I can totally relate to that. As someone that has spoken to many many tech support people in the computer field I agree they have a "template" so to speak that they are required to go by. That means that you can pretty much know for sure the problem when you call in looking for a quick warranty replacement but some tech support people will lead you through their entire script of crap that is totally irrelevant to your problem only to end up at the same conclusion. They only do that because they are trained to do so.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I can totally relate to that. As someone that has spoken to many many tech support people in the computer field I agree they have a "template" so to speak that they are required to go by. That means that you can pretty much know for sure the problem when you call in looking for a quick warranty replacement but some tech support people will lead you through their entire script of crap that is totally irrelevant to your problem only to end up at the same conclusion. They only do that because they are trained to do so.
I didn't know if you would understand what I was trying to say when I typed that, but you did, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This is a good thread and some really good information ... But ... Just thinking out loud here, so the speed sensor in the front end will work with the computer and become a speed sensor for the motor? How does the sensor for the 4wd effect the bike speed. It seems the front diff speed sensor should only be active when you turn the 4X4 switch on.

I think this is over my head.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I don't know for sure have to wait for Helmut but I assume from what he said earlier the front sensor is to ensure that you can't slam it into 4wd while the rear end is spinning wildly out of control and the front wheels are stopped thus preventing the front end from exploding.. LOL

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
This is a good thread and some really good information ... But ... Just thinking out loud here, so the speed sensor in the front end will work with the computer and become a speed sensor for the motor? How does the sensor for the 4wd effect the bike speed. It seems the front diff speed sensor should only be active when you turn the 4X4 switch on.

I think this is over my head.
Yeah, that's a good point. On the Rincon, the front speed sensor and the rear speed sensor, both, are on the front diff. The front speed sensor is on the top front part of the diff and the rear speed sensor is on the part of the diff where the driveshaft goes in. Both speed sensors are part of the selectable 4wd system, but I think the front sensor is actually the one that works with the computer to determine speed for shifting, so it must have been the one that had the metal shavings stuck to it.

Even when it's in 2wd, the front diff still turns when the tires roll. That's why they can put the regular speed sensor on the front diff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks

great stuff, thank you all. I will be picking it up next week and hope to have a chat with the tech about the extent of the shavings he found. ill let you all know if there is more info to add to this

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay I have a question guys I just bought a 2016 Honda Rubicon Deluxe I just bought a new diff it don't have the hole for the wheel speed sensor in the front diff would it work if I put it in without that sensor or does it have to have it

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Okay I have a question guys I just bought a 2016 Honda Rubicon Deluxe I just bought a new diff it don't have the hole for the wheel speed sensor in the front diff would it work if I put it in without that sensor or does it have to have it
if that model calls for it from the factory ?, then yes..it must have the sensor in order to run right. I take it, you bought a used front diff to replace your old one, and did not do your home work before you purchased it ?.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts