Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 25" tires on my 04 450S with a large gear reduction.
Top speed is like 25 to 30 then windes out real bad in 5th gear. I'm getting tired of riding behind everyone.
My question is this how much of a difference would it make if I changed my tires to 26". I don't believe I would need a lift kit for this?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Your issue isn't in the tires but the gearing
True, but if you want to keep the same gearing a taller tire will give you an extra 2mph maybe. The gearing is what needs to be changed but taller tires will give you a few extra.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
True, but if you want to keep the same gearing a taller tire will give you an extra 2mph maybe. The gearing is what needs to be changed but taller tires will give you a few extra.
I agree^^^

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
A large gear reduction? Why in the world would you do that? You can only go 30 mph now....

I've never heard of that in my life.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
A large gear reduction? Why in the world would you do that? You can only go 30 mph now....

MUD!!! Or extreme rock crawling???

·
Registered
182 Posts
my father in law has 26s on his,slows him alot,tire weight is about 6lbs heavier each than my sons and about 8lbs heavier than mine.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
But he has changed his gearing to a lower gear. You guys are running stock gearing and the quad is working harder to pull the heavier tires. With the lower gears the weight won't be a factor.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
But he has changed his gearing to a lower gear. You guys are running stock gearing and the quad is working harder to pull the heavier tires. With the lower gears the weight won't be a factor.
This is very true^^^^^^ however if he is geared for mud and rock climbing then speed isn't going to happen and shouldn't matter. If you were to take the same quad with the same tires but with stock gearing that quad would be no competition agianst his in the mud or climbing, but put them on the street and the stock geared one will smoke him. YOU Can't have both.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
You're absolutely correct, But if you were topping out at 30mph to make your ride fit your needs, wouldn't you want to do anything you can to get a few extra mph?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Sure I would but that would be having to sacrifice either the tire height or the gear ratio. kind of like our sport quads if you want a good holeshot you increase the gear on the back or decrease the front along with the tire height. If you want to get to the top you decrease the gear and tire... Right??? Well the same principals would follow for the utility quads too I would think. he may have to look into some engine mods to get some of the power back. But this is all my opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
For top speed stuff desert racers go with a 22" rear, for quick acceleration on mx tracks they go with an 18" rear. Smaller Tire=better acceleration/lower top speed; bigger tire=higher top speed/slower accel. That method is without changing gears(sprockets)

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Agreed^^^ I am running 13/36 on 19X10-9 I had 20s but they got a bit slick so my top end is good but I don't have much torque out of the hole.

For top speed stuff desert racers go with a 22" rear, for quick acceleration on mx tracks they go with an 18" rear. Smaller Tire=better acceleration/lower top speed; bigger tire=higher top speed/slower accel. That method is without changing gears(sprockets)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

It came on the bike and I'm realy just noticing it. I figure they must of had a lift kit and larger tires. It was snorkled too so yes it was a mud bike.
It has been competly rebuilt from the crank up now and has a new owner so I'm trying to figure the best way to pick up some speed. I'm not much worried about loosing low end torque because I could start in 2nd and maybe even 3rd. Yes it winds out that quick. Makes me wonder if they had some 29s or 30s before.
How hard is it to change gears on a bike like this. wouldnt you have to change front and rear like a 4x4 truck? It is shaft driven so not sure if I even have a sprocket.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts