Honda ATV Forum banner

Spark problem

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  shadetree 
#1 ·
I have a 300 fourtrax 2 WD not sure what year. I only have spark after releasing the starter button. no neutral lite,oil lite only stays on for a few seconds,battery fully charged. Any ideas?

#3 ·
find the vin number, its stamped on the front of the frame somewhere, read left to right, count the 10th digit, let us know, or google it ?, that will tells us what year trx300 you have :).

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
A single spark when the starter button is pressed is a false trigger from the CDI which occurs as the system activates and deactivates. This may not be the fault of a bad cdi. You’ll need to test: Stator (3 phases) & a/c exciter coil, pulsar coil, 12vdc and ground at the CDI connector.

Neutral light shouldn’t be an issue as if the circuit was faulty it would not allow the starting circuit to operate.
if he does not show a neutral light on the dash ?, he will never get it to fire the park plug !. not saying the bulb can't be bad ?, but its best for the green light to be lit. and yes..it means the c.d.i. is bad..been there..done that..thousands of times !!!.
You’re correct, the ground for the cdi is interrupted. Ground the cdi through the neutral switch or to the frame and spark is most likely to return.
and thats a hack way to fix the problem, bypassing the neutral switch.

#6 ·
I have a 300 fourtrax 2 WD not sure what year. I only have spark after releasing the starter button. no neutral lite,oil lite only stays on for a few seconds,battery fully charged. Any ideas?
A single spark when the starter button is pressed is a false trigger from the CDI which occurs as the system activates and deactivates. This may not be the fault of a bad cdi. You’ll need to test: Stator (3 phases) & a/c exciter coil, pulsar coil, 12vdc and ground at the CDI connector.

Neutral light shouldn’t be an issue as if the circuit was faulty it would not allow the starting circuit to operate.
if he does not show a neutral light on the dash ?, he will never get it to fire the park plug !. not saying the bulb can't be bad ?, but its best for the green light to be lit. and yes..it means the c.d.i. is bad..been there..done that..thousands of times !!!.

Reactions: retro and Wewaman
#9 ·
You’re correct, the ground for the cdi is interrupted. Ground the cdi through the neutral switch or to the frame and spark is most likely to return.
If I were to do this won't the bike now start in gear??? If so, isn't this a safety issue????
correct ^^^^^^ !!, could not have said it any better..well..i could have <evil grin>...lol.

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
If I were to do this won't the bike now start in gear??? If so, isn't this a safety issue????
Your right, don’t test anything and just buy a new OEM cdi. That’ll fix everything. I’ve read it here. Not my money.
I asked a simple question. I don't understand your rude response. Thanks so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.