Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Premium Member
6,580 Posts
My gut says snake oil.

My NGK copper plugs burn the gas very efficiently.

A hotter spark can't burn more gas than is in there to burn, and the NGK burns it all.

If someone has proof showing otherwise I'm all ears.

If one went by the claims, simply changing a sparkplug, adding an HMF and K&N air filter would give you 27.54% more HP.

In actuality, it would make zero power, probably run like crap and make your bike loud and obnoxious and eventually kill your motor from dust getting in.

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Stick with NGK in my opinion, if somebody says 'sparkplug' you automatically think 'NGK', there's only one reason for that.....

· Premium Member
6,580 Posts
Stick with NGK in my opinion, if somebody says 'sparkplug' you automatically think 'NGK', there's only one reason for that.....

This.

Get an NGK plug. Don't need anything super fancy. It's a single cylinder Honda engine. Put an NGK on it and replace it every 5K miles if you feel the need. They're about $2.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
NGK, there is nothing out there better that I know of ?. now my truck ?, I run bosh ( I think that's how they are spelled ? ), they are good for 100k miles.

· Registered
8,309 Posts
I run iridium NGK plugs, never had a problem , have them in a lot of things too!

I doubt the above mods would gain you 27 % more HP, or it sure isn;t going to be that much at the tires hitting the ground, and what on a 30 HP atv,
thats what 8 hp? MAYBE at the crank?? in gain?? I doubt it, I'd say more like 5, and 3 at the wheels
any gains there will be in your head WAY more than actually going on
which is what I think MOST guys FEEL when they add this stuff, to them, it FEELS like a bunch of HP, (again all in there heads, and I have had a lot of exhausts and mods< so I speak from experience here LOL)
but the truth be told, they just spent a lot of money for small gains IF even any!, and maybe shortened the life of there motor!
more HP< more heat? go hand in hand LOL

if you ain't racing and making money, mods can be a waste of money, money better spent just buying a larger motored atv! where the rest of the atv is set up to handle the extra HP

add more HP to a stock motor and all you do is find weak links down stream, that were never made to handle the NEW HP you added to it!
nature of the beast folks
a 30 HP atv has drive train meant to handle 30 hp
add 10+ more HP< and that drive train will start to fail faster as it wasn't made to handle it
AKA weak links show up!

· Premium Member
6,580 Posts
which is what I think MOST guys FEEL when they add this stuff, to them, it FEELS like a bunch of HP, (again all in there heads, and I have had a lot of exhausts and mods< so I speak from experience here LOL)
but the truth be told, they just spent a lot of money for small gains IF even any!, and maybe shortened the life of there motor!
Ha. Buddy of mine bought a 500 Foreman with an HMF. All that thing did was make noise. I put him on my stock Foreman, same make and year, and he rode mine for a bit and he kinda :wacko: because other than the obnoxious noise ,there was NO difference.

He took it off, sold it, put a stock muffler back on.

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
So regular or iridium plugs? Maine weather: hot humid summers and cool/cold falls/spring. Obviously cold as [email protected]#$ winter's.
Regular.. NGK very rarely fail unless they've reached the end of there life, I doubt you'd even notice any difference between regular or iridium in a single cylinder engine.

Edit: Iridium (lr) is an extremely dense metal, the second hardest to date i believe, all I can see this doing for a spark plug is making it last longer. You have to ask yourself though, is an Iridium plug actually worth the extra cost? Its personal choice but not necessary.

· Premium Member
4,700 Posts
@mrbb i didn't even know you could get a iridium type nkg plug, I've done some looking with no clear results, does nkg offers these type plugs in multipul heat ranges ? Any info would be much appricaed !

· Registered
8,309 Posts
@mrbb i didn't even know you could get a iridium type nkg plug, I've done some looking with no clear results, does nkg offers these type plugs in multipul heat ranges ? Any info would be much appricaed !
YES they do offer them in a wide range of things
I have had them in lawn mowers, weedwackers, chainsaws, MX bikes street bikes, and even cars and trucks
just email them, they will give you a plug number if you want in about anything??
they can cross reference things from what ever plug you now run/

as for if there worth the added costs, maybe not
I started using them in things that fouled plug more often than others and they seemed to cure that(small 2 strokes that sat a lot and were just beaters)
I am on I think my 3rd or 4th plug in my ATv in 20 yrs, every time
and when change them out in my atv they still look great, I just do it as a PM of sorts, NOT needed, but sure doesn't hurt
add in I live in places I get minus 40+ windchills and it sits out side, I want best I can to start as easy as possible LOL

but honestly if your motor is running RIGHT< a park plug should last a LONG time in any plug type, if your running a little rick/lean, over time, it will kill a plug faster, key to things honestly is have it running correctly

How ever, plugs are rather cheap, so, a new one every now and then ain't a bad idea IMO, p[lug changing it every so often, actually MAKES you have a look at it to see how things are going?

· Premium Member
6,580 Posts
I use copper in my Accord, change every 30K miles.

On something like my sister's Toyota Sienna, where you have to be a contortionist to get to the back 3 plugs, I dang well used NGK Iridium plugs. PITA to change them.

Not like you're talking big money whether you go copper or iridium either way when you're talking about a single cylinder machine. If you want peace of mind, iridium plugs aren't that expensive. If you're like me and figure on changing them out every once and awhile, copper work fine. I'm always wrenching on my stuff so changing plugs is not a biggie. I keep lots of extra plugs around. As cheap as they are, why not?

· Premium Member
4,700 Posts
Thanks! At the moment I'm running dpr8ea-9 (standard) kind of curious as to if the denso brand is better, then nkg, but I'm liking the iridium and I'd still go with standard heat range

Thanks much Mrbb

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I've always used normal NGK with no issues regarding longevity. I remember my trials bike (2 stroke) only ever had 3 plugs in all the years I owned it, had it near on 10 years.
It is (in my opinion) like most companies, a sales gimic, 'buy these, there better) but in fact they aren't any better. They do the same job and last the same amount of years.

People buy them because they 'think' there better, the same as branded clothing, food, footwear etc etc... If I had to put a bet on it I'd say those plugs are iridium coated not pure iridium.

I may invest in a plug to cut up and investigate my theory lol.

· Registered
8,309 Posts
I think any thing can be made to LOOK better, and if you break down FACTS enough you can make anything seem better than"X" and then "X" can do the same LOL

the SMALL gains they claim, I can see being honest,on paper!
but there NEVER going to be enough to make a difference you will notice at the tire hitting the ground,
in spark plug, air filter or the like small things
gains on paper might be big, but???
that's about it
when you look at things in a REAL light side of view
even if you get a 20% HP gain, its NOT that much to be honest
a 30 HP honda, thats a whopping 6 hp
on a 600+ lbs machine minus the rider, so say an honest 750 lbs machine
adding 6 hp, isn't a game changer in any way
look at HP to LB ratio's and see(its also why I think many love them older smaller 300's and likes, the HP ro LB ratios are as good or better than some bigger motored atv's)

750 at 30 HP is what, .040 HP per lb??
750 lbs atv at 36 HP, is .048 hp to lb?
you really think a .008 HP gain is a game changer?
IF you got 6 hp??
NO not really when you look at it this way LOL

take drag car, they can add a 150 HP and barely see any time come off the clock, and what does come off is normally in tenth's of seconds, NOT seconds,
to get seconds off, you need even more HP to do so
HP is as they say COSTLY, there AIN"T no cheap ways to get it!
and most SMALL HP gains are seldom worth the money for what you get
want more HP< BUY a vehicle with a MORE hp from the get go!, better way to spend your $$$$, and more parts that can handle it

ain't no one drag racing High hp things on stock drive trains , and a real reason why< they fail, blow up and break
HP finds weak lings!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.